The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Poison Ivy

in my riding place, too.

Not good.

Not fun...can you ride standing up?
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I had to miss a lesson that I was really looking forward to. At least it's not so bad in the riding place as it is on my arms. But I have no idea how it got there. It's not like I was doing yoga naked in the woods.

I guess some of it rubbed off when I was undressing to get into the shower. Or I spread it with the soap.

MrG is disappointed that there is not to be any riding for at least a few days.

My best treatment for poison ivy is....windex! It strips the oils from your skin and hastens the healing.

Windex my riding place?

Quote Originally Posted by Generalter View Post
    Windex my riding place?

It'll be sparkly clean AND healed!!

edited to add I just dropped my wedding ring off to be upsized. Could NOT get it off over my swollen knuckle...so the jeweler spritzed my finger with Windex! Worked slick...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

If you get it bad enough, it actually pops up in new places traveling via bloodstream.. Or, so I've been told.

Do yourself a HUGE favor.. Head in to the doc and get a shot and script for steroids if you're safe to take them! I still have the remaining remnants of my 4+ week outbreak, and that was with me getting the script as of 12 hours after contamination. Its been miserable.

in my riding place, too.

Not good.
    Now, that's a problem.

Default Gentacin spray

One spritz, for 2 days. Gone by day 4.

I'm sure your horse will share.

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    My best treatment for poison ivy is....windex! It strips the oils from your skin and hastens the healing.
    ...within 15 minutes. After 15 minutes the oil of the posion ivy has "merged", for lack of a better term, there is a better one I just can't think of it, it's Friday and I'm ready to go home, to the skin molecules.

There is something on the market now that actually (FINALLY) gets rid of it once it has gone past that critical 15 minutes to get it washed off, don't know what it is, just heard it's expensive, but considering where you got it (sure, from changing pants, mmm-hmmm, LOL!) it would be worth it!

I, for one, do not buy the "changing pants" story. I am going to fix myself a cocktail and wait for the true story. After canoeing down the Brandywine with a bunch of 7th graders I think I deserve to be entertained.

I have heard that bleach will dry out poison ivy but I'm not sure you'd want that near your riding place. Especially if your husband ever wants to ride again.....

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    I, for one, do not buy the "changing pants" story. I am going to fix myself a cocktail and wait for the true story. After canoeing down the Brandywine with a bunch of 7th graders I think I deserve to be entertained.

I have heard that bleach will dry out poison ivy but I'm not sure you'd want that near your riding place. Especially if your husband ever wants to ride again.....
    There are many home remedies I've heard and I've seen the bleach thing work, but not sure I'd want to try most of them in the riding places. I'm not even sure I'd want to put calamine down there.

Naked yoga in the woods. Pshaw. That's silly. I'm waiting for the real story... *twiddles thumbs*
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Get thee to a doctor.

Not sure if they still do this, but I got it BAD when I was a senior in high school-- woke up the morning of my last final exam and my face was so swollen, I was barely recognizable. Somehow muddled my way through my final (it was essay if I had to reschedule it) and went to the dermatologist, who gave me a steroid injection-- prednisone, I think? Anyway, by the next morning I was back to normal.

I got it again a few years ago, not as bad but was all around my eyes. This time (different) doc gave me a script for steroid pills-- 6-day dose pack, I think-- and it DID work, but not as quickly as the injection.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    One spritz, for 2 days. Gone by day 4.

I'm sure your horse will share.
    I don't think I would want that around my riding place.

This is when it is time for some prednisone/oral steroid. Take yourself to your doctor/nurse practitioner/local walk in clinic and get it looked at and treated. 10 days of oral steroid will make it better quickly. Poison ivy normally spreads for about 10 days if you don't get oral steroid. That is fine if it is on your arms or legs, but not fine if it is on your genitals or your face. Wash everything you were wearing when you got into the poison ivy. You don't want to get it again from the oil on your sneakers or your chaps. It won't be as bad as getting it from the plant, but you probably don't want any more poison ivy!

A baking soda paste will dry up the rash. I use a hair dryer to activate the histamine to make the itch go away and then apply a baking soda paste and let it dry.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    I, for one, do not buy the "changing pants" story. I am going to fix myself a cocktail and wait for the true story.
    I never said anything about "changing pants". How typical.

Fine. Undressing. Whatever. Still too innocent a story. Stop trying to evade. I want answers.

I guess some of it rubbed off when I was undressing to get into the shower.
    Ok, UNDRESSING rather than changing. Why quibble?? You took off your pants, took a shower and then changed into some other pants.

Good Lord they were just joking, how typical!

Windex my riding place?
    Well, according to the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, it DOES cure everything. Although I'd hate to think of him doing naked yoga in the forest.

I have to fifth (or whatever) the go to minor med. To someone you'll never have to see again!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.