The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Bronx, NY/Atlanta, GA/Fort Dodge, IA

Default "Weymouth" vs "Curb - is there a difference? And sliding vs fixed cheek

This question came up at the tack store last week... is there a difference between a "Weymouth" vs a "curb," or are they two terms for the same thing?

Are there different terms properly applied to the bit used in conjuction with the bridoon if it has sliding/loose cheeks ( vs a fixed cheek (

And why would someone desire a sliding cheek? What is the advantage/disadvantage of a sliding cheek vs a fixed cheek?

Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

A weymouth is within the subset of curb. Curb bits have leverage and a curb chain/strap to apply that leverage.

A weymouth is an 'english' curb bit designed to be used with a bradoon.

Fixed cheek is more stable, with no movement. Some people call a sliding cheek the cheek that turns... there are also sliding cheeks that have a little tiny bit of play up and down.

Just like with the snaffle, some horses prefer a more fixed position, some do better with a little play. Ironically, head tilting can be helped by either.

Traditionally, a fixed cheek is more a one-handed bit (or three-and-one) and a loose cheek is for two hands. No one really pays much attention to that any more. When you use one rein on a fixed cheek, in anything but an up or back motion, (i.e. opening, indirect) the bit will actually tilt a bit in the mouth. You can use a tiny bit more of lateral motion with a sliding/loose cheek.

In western riding you learn the difference in feel between the two--because you are always riding one hand on the curb. I think it's a subtlety that is often lost for english riders.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Houston, TX

In my experience, a sliding cheek can provide a little more of a buffer between hand and mouth - we used to use them on our saddle seat horses with youngsters or with ammies that didn't have great hands. The little extra lag time between the hand action and the bit can keep a horse more comfortable. I think a reasonable analogy is that of a car that has sport type steering vs. a cushy luxury car type steering - one is very immediate to respond, and one has some more give and more play. The sport steering doesn't give you as much room for error, but the cushy luxury steering is softer and less quick to respond - more forgiving though it still gets the job done = )

Others might have different experiences, but I like them on certain horse/rider combos for that reason.

Hannover, Germany

Check out the catalog of . They have english explanations for their bits.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    2015: Filly by Likoto- Florencio - Prince Thatch and filly by Edward - Sandro Hit - Rouletto