The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I once had an old gelding who was prescribed long term low dose dex (for heaves), which I blindly followed thinking vets always know best, and in the end it ravaged his immune system. Ended up with Cushing's like symptoms, very prone to infections and lymphangitis. I will NEVER do that again. Short term dex, yes. Long term, no.

One of my mares had chronic diarrhea over the winter. Nothing I tried helped. This spring I started getting my hay from a new source. I switched over gradually. Noticed her diarrhea lessened. Now she's entirely on the new hay, and the diarrhea is gone. Bone dry back there. The hay I have now is both richer and finer than last year's. FWIW.

Has the hay been tested for sugar content......high sugar levels can cause diahrrea.

Dalemma

I will find out about the sugar, thanks

LOL! I've been on the coast of North and South Carolina for so long I forget there are places with grass and not sand!!

LOL!!! Yep, no sand here, just miles and miles of red clay!

I have used Biosponge with great results for the "poops" has the horse been scoped or treated for ulcers? Sounds like a food allergy maybe even though the tests say otherwise..
    Would love to see what it really is....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Thought I would post a final update on this. The owner switched to prednisolone, and within 2 days the diarrhea was back. He stopped eating, and it was found that the dex was suppressing symptoms of cancer, so he was put down

I'm sorry to hear that he had cancer, but perhaps it was a blessing in the long run as they were able to put an end to his misery. Very sad.

Regarding the other horse mentioned. When I read the post I immediately thought Pemphigus. It is very rare in horses and does not have a good prognosis. I do have a mare standing in my pasture that is a survivor however. In 2003, she came down with it and it took us almost two months to get it properly diagnosed. By then, she was is really bad shape and in foal with Cyriz's first foal. We decided to try the prednisolone (massive amounts initially which should have caused her to abort). Vets at A&M told us our best case was that we got her foaling and had an orphan to raise. Wellll, the lesions healed, she foaled and then foaled again three more times in four years. She hasn't caught the last couple of years, so she may be "done" being a mom, but she sure as heck bet the odds and then some.

There are pics of her (Francesca) and the foal she was carrying (Special Account) on my website. I still cringe when I think about how horrible she looked. At one point I was spending almost 4 hrs a day trying to soothe the lesions. It sucked.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Be careful with Dex. I have seen a horse founder and die from accidental overdose. That said, my horse is on a low dose right now in hopes of rectifying auto-immune disfunction (honestly couldn't tell you if it is helping or not)
    "Capture the horse's confidence to obtain his consent." -General L'Hotte