The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Founder and deworming

Is there any danger in deworming while a horse is recovering from laminitis/founder? Vet called end of Nov and she sunk in one foot only. Blood test done for sugar issues and came back with all OK. Both Vet and Farrier think mechanical is the cause.

SE weather has been a rollercoaster. Usually we have a freeze in December and I use Equimax, but we still had warm temps and flies! Now it's freezing nightly and time to get this done.

Of course I'm probably just over thinking this, but really don't want to cause this horse more issues.

No I do not think you are over thinking this at all. And tho not common yes stress such as deworming can perturb laminitis.

What did your vet recommend?

I dewormed mine after he had laminitis and before the hoof fully regrew, but I wouldn't be comfortable recommending it to someone else just because my one horse was ok. I'd consult with the vet that has actually treated the horse, honestly.
    Quarry Rat

Much less potential for problems if the laminitis/founder was indeed mechanical (and being just 1 hoof, that's more likely) than if metabolic.

However, yes, talk to your vet, and consider some preemptive therapy if possible

I felt very silly after I posted this. I did consult the vet at last shoeing and he said go ahead and deworm. She was so sound then he wanted to back off the bute a little and we did, but the lameness came back. She is sloooowly coming back to comfort level. We are a month and a half into treatment for founder so a little stressed trying to keep her stable.

Thanks everyone for your replies!! Dewormer in - just hoping it doesn't cause her additional issues.

JB thanks - she was tested for metabolic issues and vet say results were all OK. Both vet and farrier thought from beginnig it was mechanical, but wanted test done to make sure no other causes.
    Last edited by ddb; Jan. 19, 2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added info

Goodness don't feel silly, it's a very valid question!

Quote Originally Posted by ddb View Post
    I felt very silly after I posted this. I did consult the vet at last shoeing and he said go ahead and deworm. She was so sound then he wanted to back off the bute a little and we did, but the lameness came back. She is sloooowly coming back to comfort level. We are a month and a half into treatment for founder so a little stressed trying to keep her stable.

Thanks everyone for your replies!! Dewormer in - just hoping it doesn't cause her additional issues.

JB thanks - she was tested for metabolic issues and vet say results were all OK. Both vet and farrier thought from beginnig it was mechanical, but wanted test done to make sure no other causes.
    I find a nice bowl of comfort food does my stress level a world of good. Today I think chocolate ice cream will sooth my worldly pains away.

Take her digital pulse before you worm and if it is faint then go for it as the vet recommends. If it is not faint then call the vet before you worm and chat about it again.

Good luck and I hope she continues her path to recovery.

Thanks D Taylor Yes!! Chocolate Ice cream is excellent comfort food!! Was not good that this was happening over the holidays - lot's of comfort options!!!

This old girl is a fighter and has never given a sad eye thoughout this process. Guess that's why I worry about adding anything else to her system. Worms are bad too so hoping it does not set her back any. Last fecal count done at fall shots was good and past were low to none. Just two old girls that I run around cleaning up after here.
    Last edited by ddb; Jan. 19, 2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling

I would not worm now, especially if the worm count is low. What is the hurry to worm?
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

The hurry could well be tapeworms that haven't been targeted since last Spring, and/or the bots that haven't been targeted since a good freeze (and potentially also since last Spring).

You can't rely on FECs, no matter the count, to tell you if/when to deworm for those - you just do it 1-2 times a year, depending where you live.

Consult your veterinarian.
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

Charlie - as JB said trying to get the Tapes and Bots after first freeze. They do not come up on the fecal testing.

Well - dewormed on Thursday - thanks everyone for making me feel less crazy about worrying about this.

She is so far letting me know this was a non-event - well after the insult of the paste was in and sulking for the correct amount of time to make sure I knew she didn't appreciate it