The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lost & Found Horse Rescue (York, PA) in danger of losing farm

http://www.lfhr.org/

They are trying to raise enough money by July to purchase their farm, otherwise they will have to close down. This is the rescue where I got my horse over 3 years ago - I found Kelly to be a caring, knowledgeable person who really had her horses' best interests at heart. If you would like to learn more or make a donation, please visit their website listed above.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Bump. Kelly's always been professional, caring, REALISTIC, and, well, she does an awesome job.

I'll send a dribble
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

One of my boarders adopted from here and two months later she (the mare not the boarder) gave me my beautiful filly!!

I hope she can stay!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Oh geez, this is worrisome (understatement). Does anyone in her area have any ideas for a plan B, in case LFHR can continue to operate, just elsewhere?
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

There are some people in New England that offered to adopt horses but were told it was too far.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

What happens to the 26 horses if they don't raise that huge amount of money in a few weeks?

I feel like I should be more sympathetic. Maybe I am to jaded by rescues needing rescuing. From the looks of the website, it *seems* like a good rescue, but I don't know for sure.

I am also wondering why they suddenly need $350K. That's a WHOLE lotta dough! I would like to know how much they raised so far and why exactly they need more, other than to 'buy the farm and other living expenses'.

I skipped the drama in the beginning of the article and got to the part about $350K is the 'sale price plus other expenses'. I have two questions - exactly how much is the sale price and why can't the rescue/person leasing the place get a loan to buy the farm?

there was some hub-bub about this rescue. I can't put my finger on it, but there seems to be some stuff circulating about why *not* to donate.

Wish I could remember where I saw it.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I think she has been calling every media outlet within a million mile radius to get coverage on her plea. There are a lot of people around here locally that she has not treated well (me being one).

What we are all wondering is why can she not take out a mortgage and save herself?

There are articles in the York Daily Record/Dispatch within the past week or so. Lots of folks on Facebook are tearing her up, too.

It is kind of sad to lose the rescue, but I, for one, would never go there to attempt to adopt anything. BTDT. JMO, but it is an opinion that a lot of people are sharing locally.

The property consists of 17+ acres and is owned by the Chelonia Institute, a non-profit lead and backed by Robert Truland of Truland Systems. It's appraised at over $422,000.

Kelly Young has raised $60,000 and still needs $350,000. She's going through a divorce and I can't find any mention of an outside job to support herself and her children, let alone contribute to the rescue or qualify her for a loan.

What doesn't make sense to me is the date. If Robert Truland wants to sell the property, why not allow her to lease it until it's sold? It's not even listed on MLS right now, so why the July deadline? Has her lease been revoked and has she been given first shot at the property before it's listed?

The horses on her site look nice. It's expensive to keep horses in the Northeast - she should expand her adoption zone before she even considers euthing her charges.

I volunteered for Kelly for many, many years. As much as it pains me to say this, losing the farm would be BY FAR the best thing that could happen. I am not going to air dirty laundry, just suffice to say there is smoke coming out of the washing machine.

If the rescue disolves- does this means the adoption contracts do to? I'm always curious as to how rescues who retain horse ownership handle this sort of thing...

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    there was some hub-bub about this rescue. I can't put my finger on it, but there seems to be some stuff circulating about why *not* to donate.

Wish I could remember where I saw it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I volunteered for Kelly for many, many years. As much as it pains me to say this, losing the farm would be BY FAR the best thing that could happen. I am not going to air dirty laundry, just suffice to say there is smoke coming out of the washing machine.
    oye veh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

With $60,00 raised so far, is there no other farm in PA that she could rent, lease, lease to own?????? Hmmmm, kinda strange, ya think?

On Equinesite (NE chat board) several people said they contacted the rescue about adopting certain horses, but they won't adopt that far away, no exceptions.

It was also mentioned it has been stated somewhere they will euth the horses if they shut down--some 20 horses? I'm not sure if that is true, but that would be a horrible thing to do!

Eeeek. I dealt with her once- years ago- and it was not a pleasant experience.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37630042...-lancaster_pa/

"Kelly Young -- owner of Lost and Found Horse Rescue at 852 Valley Road in York County -- said Thursday that the property she leases is up for sale, which may force her to shut down.

If she has to close the shelter, 17 horses under the nonprofit organization's care may have to be euthanized, she said.

"I guess that would be the best solution, if homes can't be found or the rescue can't be saved," Young said.

Kelly and her children live on the property, too, which includes two barns, an office and 10 volunteers working with the horses."

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSTB View Post
    If the rescue disolves- does this means the adoption contracts do to? I'm always curious as to how rescues who retain horse ownership handle this sort of thing...
    I believe the foundation, based in Maryland, will remain, so the contracts should still stand.

Kelly is apparently working with some other rescues and some individuals to place the horses currently at LFHR. Those not adopted would move to the Maryland farm, not be euthanized.

I agree with Laurierace.

Well if Laurie Race says to avoid this, so I shall. As for how rescues handle contracts if they shut down, for myself, all contracts will stand. I own the farm which houses my rescues and know exactly who my commitments are too and how many I can handle on my own. Some of the horses adopted from here are outright owned by there adopters because they were only two or three years old. I cant hardly take them back when I am 80 or so but, I am committed to every horse who leaves here. And yes, I agree, adopting further is necessary. And equally as easy to keep track of done right.

I stand behind the masses here although I hate to see another rescue close its doors.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by snkstacres View Post
    Well if Laurie Race says to avoid this, so I shall. As for how rescues handle contracts if they shut down, for myself, all contracts will stand. I own the farm which houses my rescues and know exactly who my commitments are too and how many I can handle on my own. Some of the horses adopted from here are outright owned by there adopters because they were only two or three years old. I cant hardly take them back when I am 80 or so but, I am committed to every horse who leaves here. And yes, I agree, adopting further is necessary. And equally as easy to keep track of done right.

I stand behind the masses here although I hate to see another rescue close its doors.
    Love ya Lori!! Thanks for everything you do at Sunkissed Acres for the sake of the horses.

I wasn't on COTH back then, or I would have asked before adopting from them. Everything looked shipshape when I was there, horses happy, people happy, and Kelly acted professionally throughout the entire process. huh - just goes to show how people can put on a pretty face for the tourists.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledHorse View Post
    I believe the foundation, based in Maryland, will remain, so the contracts should still stand.

Kelly is apparently working with some other rescues and some individuals to place the horses currently at LFHR. Those not adopted would move to the Maryland farm, not be euthanized.

I agree with Laurierace.
    So who will check up on the adopted horses? Who will manage the yearly paperwork? What if an adopted horse needs to be returned or re-rescued?

I don't know anything about this rescue so this is just open questions. Incidentally I also have no issue with a legit and well run rescue soliciting donations to purchase property either. Just like any business- for or non profit- a storefront is crucial.