The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    halfpassleft Guest

Question How tall will she finish at???

I am purchasing a two year old hanoverian filly, and she stands currently at 15.2 1/2. Her sire is 16.3, and I am not sure about her dam, I am thinking she is 16.h.h. How tall do you think she will be when she is done growing?

Thanks for your input.

there are so many factors that come with height, that I believe its hard to tell from the facts that you give. Shoulder, legs, height at particular ages etc. matter.

Some shoot up and stop... some will grow and grow until they are 6.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Right now I would say she is not on the "tall" side, so a shoot up factor (which is not as usual as some would think) would have to happen to end up well over 16h IMO

Less and less do I see horses end up at 17h or near there if they are not already at 16 or very close at 2. Could be the TB or modern blood we keep seeing in the WB.

Anywho. Good luck!

added to say:

I looked at a yearling the other day that was 15.3 and OBVIOUSLY still growing, and so it would be VERY safe to say 17h or around there. But like I said at 2 he will be 16plus easy.

She could end up anywhere from 15.2 1/2 to.....well, any height. Totally depends on genetics, which can be a total crapshoot. She could grow til she's 9, or she could stop at 3. There's just no way to know for sure now. If I had to hazard a completely random guess I'd say that it sounds pretty likely that she'll hit or go over 16h.

One of my mares is 15.3h and was out of a 16.3h mare and by a 16.2h stallion. The mare I just sold was out of a 16.2h mare and by a 16.2h stallion and finished at 15.1h. Both hit their final height by about 4yo, and from what I've heard, were done with "growth spurts" around 2.

I have an OTTB gelding, on the other hand, who was 16.1h at 5yo but then popped up at 6yo to 17.1h behind and just shy of 17h up front. And I had a DWB gelding who grew until he was 8yo (he was 16h at 2 and finished at a pretty stout 16.2h SIX YEARS later). My coming 3yo was 15.1h or 15.2h at 2 and is now 16.1h as a coming 3yo and looks like he's still going up.

My point is that they're all different and it's impossible to predict without knowing more (and even then you're just talking about odds).

My guess would be around 16 hands, but then, they can do very odd things with growth.

My first colt was 15 hands as at one year, 16 hands at 2, 16.2 at 4 and 17+ at five. His mama was 15.3 and his dad 16.2 and not known to throw big height.

My second breeding, his half sister out of a 15 hand mare, was 14.2 at one, 15.2 at two, 15.3 from 3-4, and nudged up to 16 hands even at 5 yrs old.

My third one is by a 16.1 hand stallion out of a 15.3 hand mare. She was 14.2 as a yearling, 15.1 at two and 15.2 by January first of that winter. She is now 15.2 flat at five years old, but she won't turn five until July and my others all grew between spring the winter in that fifth year, so maybe she'll nudge some more height and maybe she won't.

it will most probably be over 16hh lol dont worry horses dont stop growing till they 7 and at 7 years they get there last spurt on being the circumfrance of the horse which can add an inch or two lol

If you want to make a slightly educated guess, go read about the string test over on sporthorse breeding.

Also, is she just turning 2 now, or is she 2 turning 3 next week? If you call her breeder, you might get a good idea also. The breeder will know more about the height of the dam, and what sort of height there is in the next generation back.

While it really does depend on the bloodlines, I would be surprised if a 15.2h, 2 year old warmblood baby with the parents you described turned out shorter than 16h.

Most warmblood babies do end up having a growth spurt sometime between two and four. Many don't finish growing until 5 or 6, particularly if there are "old" bloodlines in the mix.

My sister's gelding was out of my 16.3h mare (TB/Han) and a 16.2h Dutch sire. He was 15.2-ish for a long time going into his third year, and the summer of his third year he sprung up to about 16.0 1/2.

Keep an eye on your horse's knees- if they still look open, or the horse still looks gangly or not very "warmbloody"/filled out then they probably still have growing to do.

Spectrum.

halfpassleft Guest

She just turned 2 in May. So she is just coming into her 2nd year.
    I am not sure how to post pictures or I would so you all could see how tall she is now and what your thoughts would be by seeing her.

Quote Originally Posted by halfpassleft View Post
    She just turned 2 in May. So she is just coming into her 2nd year.
    I am not sure how to post pictures or I would so you all could see how tall she is now and what your thoughts would be by seeing her.
    If she just turned 2 in May, she is actually now starting her third year. I agree with the other posters. Just too hard to predict!!

A string test would be the best way to predict her adult height. One of the old sayings is add 2 hands to a yearling ht and 1 hand to a 2 yr olds ht. Using that old adage, 16.2ish would be her adult height.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I think it also depends greatly on feeding. If the baby was fed for quick growth and kept on the heavy side, she may be closer to done than a horse that was fed for slower growth and kept on the thin side (theory being it reduces risk of OCD).

A clients now 3 year old was your horse's height when he turned two, and now he is a little over 16.2 hands. We expect him to grow some more. His mom is 15.2 and dad is over 17 hands.

ALL horses don't finish growing until 5 or 6. However, that's not necessarily in height. That's when the growth plates in the spine close.

The string test is not very reliable either. My three-year-old's string test said he'd be 16.3. He's still 16.0 hands but is now longer. He was a 78 now he's an 80.

Another way is to do it algebraically. That would make your filly end up at about 16.1. But there's no guarantee of that.

The algebraic formula is: 62.5 inches over x is equivalent to 96/100, since a 2 y.o. is 96% of adult height.

62.5 inches/x ~ 96/100 = 65.1 inches
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

i would think the 16.1-16.2 mark.somewhere between sires and mares height.has your filly leveled out right now or is she higher in one end or the other.
    i have a 3 yr old dutch(oldenburg) thats 15.2 currently and was about 15 hh at 2.
    his sire was 16.2 and mare was a large hunter mare at 14.2..so suffice to say i have been asking as well about my guys height around da barn these days and i get mostly told around 16.hh or 16.1 at most, especially if he is more looking like the mother or father which seems to make a difference in height predictions.and this is besides doing the string test

is there a prize for this guessing game?
    I'd say most 15.2 hh, 2 year olds will get to be 16.1 +/- an inch.
    But not my mare- see below:

According to the string test, my 17.3+ hh gelding should only be 17 hh. And his bum is that height. And my mare should've finished at 16 hh, but she decided 15.2 was a more suitable height and stayed there since she was 2 1/2 years old. It worked for my gelding, who finished at 16 hh at age 5 as predicted by the string test at age 1.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Bloodlines?
    Some sires tend to produce offspring whose height is mostly influenced by the dam. Some not.

Without this info I'd guess 16 / 16.1.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    A string test would be the best way to predict her adult height. One of the old sayings is add 2 hands to a yearling ht and 1 hand to a 2 yr olds ht. Using that old adage, 16.2ish would be her adult height.
    I have a 6 year old that sticks a solid 17.1. In the fall of his 4 year old year (so 18 months ago), he was just 16.0 hands.

That being said, he is out of one of our marelines that throws big horses but his sire is not known for adding height.

Genetics, first/second foal, feeding and so many other factors go into 'finished' size. If there are any adult (like age 7 +) full siblings, that might give you an idea of where she'll finish up. But we have 2 full sisters and one is hoping to finish at 16.0 hands and the other is 16.2 and just 3. Height varies greatly from horse to horse.

I've had 0 luck with a string test FWIW, so I have no faith in that prediction method. The now 6 year old/17.1 horse string tested to 16 hands and looked finished at 4 and was a first foal, so all signs pointed to him being 16.0-16.1, right? He's a whole lot taller than that now!

halfpassleft Guest

She runs off the W lines. So Wodan/Widukind.

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by EiRide View Post
    My guess would be around 16 hands, but then, they can do very odd things with growth.
    That would be my guess too (without any more info).
    Sandy in Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by halfpassleft View Post
    She runs off the W lines. So Wodan/Widukind.

Hope this helps...
    Oh dear. W line hanos can be quite ginroumous. My World Cup gelding was the one who finished at 17.3+ And he was 16.3 when I bought him at 4 1/2 years old.

For your sake I hope she doesn't get that big.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF