The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default who are the great AHS hunter sires??

Need help in trying to find the great hunter sires that are Hanoverian. Is Popeye K approved AHS?
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

PK is only approved KWPN, RPSI, CWHBA, and CSHA.

De Laurentis is the same is Hano (not entirely sure if it's AHA or Verband), as well as Old.

Not sure he fits the "great" category yet, but...

Paparazzo is Hano (verband and us)

Sir Caletto is both Hanos as well

Escapade is Hano by registry but afaik not approved Hano

Apiro, Corlando (deceased, not sure if frozen exists, not sure about sons), Black Tie (maybe not "great" yet), Sir Wanabi (probably not "great" yet), Coconut Grove, Romantic Star, For Play, Rio Grande, Rafaello, are all AHS

Don Alfredo, Federalist, Pablo, Cabalito
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Black Tie

define 'Great'

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    define 'Great'
    That was my question. By performance or by offspring?

Ragtime and Redwine are both Hanoverian but not approved Hanoverian! It's a shame. I was told that the AHS does not approve hunter type stallions typically if they have done nothing but hunters, and have more of a hunter look and movement. If this is true (and seems to be by some of the stallions they reject) it limits the showing hunters to chose from for AHS. You have to go more by offspring.
    Last edited by Perfect Pony; Jun. 10, 2010 at 01:35 PM.

Cabalito!

Tons of offspring pics on both my farm page:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/whitehedge.farm

and his own Facebook page that Lisa has made for him:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/g...5360017&ref=ts

Just put some new ones up this week on my page of older offspring I have sold, as well as 2 new foals.

He sires true performance horses- pretty foals but most importantly great riding/show partners! Almost all of mine that I bred headed straight to the hunter ring with amateurs.

Black Tie gave me a very hunter-type filly out of a heavy, dressage style Hanoverian mare. She's very pretty and has a beautiful disposition as well.

Great =important; highly significant or consequential: as in the great issues in American history.

Some of the stallions listed are too new to the scene to be considered "great" for some time yet.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBred View Post
    Great =important; highly significant or consequential: as in the great issues in American history.

Some of the stallions listed are too new to the scene to be considered "great" for some time yet.
    I could NOT have said it BETTER VB!!! Perfect answer!!
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

All the Gold, Rio Grande, Don Alfredo, Dacaprio, Domiro, Landfriese II, Furst Gotthard, Escudo II, Pablo, Pablito, Rienzi, Romantic Star, Davinpiort, Freedom Z, Cablito and Federalist all have get showing in the hunter ring with success.
    Last edited by monami; Jun. 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM.

Default Romantic Star

I have a very nice colt by Romantic Star who will make a nice hunter. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by monami View Post
    All the Gold, Rio Grande, Don Alfredo, Dacaprio, Domiro, Landfriese II, Furst Gotthard, Escudo II, Pablo, Pablito, Rienzi, Romantic Star, Davinpiort, Freedom Z and Federalist all have get showing in the hunter ring with success.
    Who does Dacaprio have in the hunter ring? I am really curious about that one because his bloodlines do not foster jumping ability.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    Who does Dacaprio have in the hunter ring? I am really curious about that one because his bloodlines do not foster jumping ability.
    Why Not Me
    Dimaggio (who is/was owned by Clearround)
    Dollar 99
    Dragen Heart

I am sure there are others but those are the ones I could find quickly.

The sire is 1/2 or possibly even less of the equation but I will say that a lot of hunters have Davignon in their pedigrees
    Last edited by monami; Jun. 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM.

Autocrat has been producing some very nice hunter type offpring.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Some of the ones that have been recommended are approved Hanoverian, but not registered Hanoverian. The reason this could be important is that they, e.g. Pablo, who is Westfalian, can only have Hanoverian foals out of Hanoverian mares because of the breeding percentages rule. Just in case that makes a difference.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I was told that the AHA does not approve hunter type stallions typically if they have done nothing but hunters, and have more of a hunter look and movement. If this is true (and seems to be by some of the stallions they reject) it limits the showing hunters to chose from for AHA.
    I assume you mean AHS? This is not true, most stallions get presented to be licensed before a career anyway but If the stallion does not meet the performance requirements then it does not matter if they got licensed or not as they can not be approved an vice versa. As for others you mention stallions that are not presented can not be approved but that does not mean they were rejected. You would have to talk the owner into presenting them as they might prefer other registries.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Some of the ones that have been recommended are approved Hanoverian, but not registered Hanoverian. The reason this could be important is that they, e.g. Pablo, who is Westfalian, can only have Hanoverian foals out of Hanoverian mares because of the breeding percentages rule. Just in case that makes a difference.
    Gosh there is a lot of misinformation out there! People if you don't know the rules or policy of a registry do not quote them as it makes for a lot of confusion.

Pablo can have a Hanoverian foal out of any non-Hanoverian mare(TB , Holsteiner, Oldenburg etc.) in the AHS registry. He has 75% Hanoverian blood and fall under the same rules as a branded Hanoverian.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Quote Originally Posted by monami View Post
    Why Not Me
    Dimaggio (who is/was owned by Clearround)
    Dollar 99
    Dragen Heart

I am sure there are others but those are the ones I could find quickly.

The sire is 1/2 or possibly even less of the equation but I will say that a lot of hunters have Davignon in their pedigrees
    Sorry - just to clarify - are all of these sired by Dacaprio? Because I asked about Dacaprio, not Davignon.

Edited to add:

The only Dragen I found is by Davignport and has no show results from USEF shows since 1/2008.
    There is a Dimaggio by Dacaprio; his show record is here:
    http://usef.org/_IFrames/Searches/ho...ltsReport.aspx
    I would have to see him to assess him; his record alone is not compelling but he is young.
    I could not find a Dollar 99 registered with USEF.

I'm glad this thread came up. Over on the "Colored Performance Horse" thread I kept trying to get the posters to stick to horses with actual records of performance and not: "he has competed in eventing" or "his offspring show potential for the show ring."

I think that is all very well and good to like horses with potential, but that is also only opinion. As is hunter breeding success (albeit a more learned opinion (hopefully)) the title of this thread includes the word "Great". A horse who has some nice looking offspring, does not, IMO, yet belong in this category.

Since no one has mentioned Cunningham, I guess that this list is not meant to include horses who are "great American hunters who are are now sires". But I think he has deserved the word "great" by his name for his own accomplishments -- which is a lot more than can be said about many of the horses named so far.

And if his offspring live up to their potential, then he will be reproducing himself.

[This foal belongs to a friend of a friend -- I fell in love with him when I saw his pictures.]

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...May29027-1.jpg

Over on the USEF ranking of "Sires of Hunters" most of the top sires are jumpers, not hunters. So they would not be registered in any hunter registry.
    Don't Worry About Hurting My Feelings Because I Guarantee You, Not One Bit Of My Self Esteem Is Tied Up In Your Acceptance.