The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I admit, I have a horse problem :(

Does anyone else feel like this?

I LOVE to train horses, especially challenging ones that make me work at it, and the intellegent ones that make it look easy. However, when they are trained I start looking for a new project and the trained horse gets boring. I'm going through this right now, my prospect I got two years ago is good WTC, in a full bridle (she's an ASB), has been to the horse shows and done well, trail rides, drives, barrel races, you name it....anyone can ride her but she still has the spirt and fire of a ASB....but she's boring for me now.

I want a new horse! And I think I may have found one....and as I'm going over my budget.....I'm thinking I definately have a addiction to this.

I don't want to be a pro, so in the past i've just had someone pay board on their horse and done the work for free, but I feel like i'm on a time crunch when I train other people's horses.

I'm addicted to young untrained horses and training them until they are ready to go off to someone else.

Anyone else??
    Member of the "My Saddlebred can do anything your horse can do" clique

I do the SAME thing! I *LOVE* the saddle breaking and training, getting them on the trail going 3 gaits, crossing water, traffic, dogs, etc..... then I get bored and want a new one to work with. Last year I was thrilled to have Andre to break out and train for the trail, this year I have Amadeus, and I'm already worried that next spring I'll want another one :-) LOL

But my biggest problem is that my horses are like family and I can't sell them so whatever comes here to live, will stay here until it dies. I have 4 horses and that's my MAX to be able to care for them the right way.

I've often thought about having one spot open in my barn to take on a foster/rescue type project - you know feed them up, get them under saddle, then let the rescue organization place them in a home, then get a new one in, etc.....Not for any kind of profit obviously, but just because I love training horses that have a clean slate.

Could you purchase a horse, train, and then sell it to some lucky person who now has a nicely trained horse and then go through the process again. I don't think that would make you a professional; lots of people sell horses they have ridden and trained.

I am less sure that you would still be an amateur if you made a deal with someone to jointly own a horse that you did the training on while they covered bills like board and vet care and then you two split the income of selling the horse once the training was done.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

No way, a trained horse in two years? That's just a start, there's so much more to do!
    (I do dressage though, which I find endlessly fascinating, impossible to ever get 'right' and pretty much an endless task lol)

I love doing the ground work, just LOVE it. Don't mind doing the saddle work after the initial few rides, either. BUT I cannot bear to part with my own horses...

So that's why I foster. I get to play around and work with horses and then when they find good homes, I get a new project.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I always think I will be able to sell my project when it is ready to go

My mare is not priced high, easy to ride, responsive...I've even put up ads to lease her and haven't gotten many responses. So I TRY and sell them...lol

If anyone in the Houston, TX area has something they want to send me let me know! Before I fall over in the dark side and buy another one. I really feel lost not having something to train.

I mostly ride saddleseat, but have the ability (and mucho tack) to do huntseat or western. I barrel race for fun with a friend, but I LOVE my saddleseat.
    Member of the "My Saddlebred can do anything your horse can do" clique