The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I can't take this peeing anymore!

I posted a while ago about my yearling pony who's drinking and urinating HUGE amounts. Backstory- I just got her about 2 weeks ago. She drinks on average about 15 gallons of water a day. Some days up to almost 20 gallons, yes 20. She is a yearling pony who is probably about 400-450 lbs! Her bloodwork came back and her basic labs were all normal- electrolytes, wbc, glucose, kidneys, liver, etc. My only guess left is psychogenic polydipsia. I couldn't remember the name when the vet was here so asked him about drinking water out of boredom, etc. and he said it's not possible. According to a quick search it seems more than possible. (This was the first time this guy came out since I'm looking for a new. Yuck, wet noodle, standoffish, and just, blah...) She went from being out 24/7 to stalled overnight. For the most part she's in a large stall with an attached paddock for 18 hours, but there's no grass. She wasn't on much grass at her old house and I have LOTS of grass here (so far) so she's only on 6 hours of pasture a day so far, but we're working up. So maybe she's just bored? On the days I've seen her on pasture for the few hours and have been in the barn, working outside, or with a newly filled trough I don't notice her drinking at all or very little. Any thoughts?

Next... until she's out on pasture I can't lock her out of her stall because she won't have shade. I'm going broke on her shavings. I use paper and cardboard shavings (to the tune of $7.25 a bag) over mats because of my COPD horse, but she SOAKS her 12x15 stall every.single.day. There is a 10x12 stall between her and my copd horse. Would you break down and try pelleted bedding? We're not completely sure yet what his triggers are and his blood is in the lab for allergy testing, but do you think it would be too damaging to have them in her stall, or at least a mixture to try and find SOMETHING to absorb urine better?

Did the vet do a urinalysis?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    Did the vet do a urinalysis?
    Errrr. I have a collection bag and am supposed to catch urine. Then again, she pees so often if I stand near her long enough I should be able to.

Try a ladle or a cup on a handle - it's a little easier to reach in there with something on a handle.

I think I'd put her in a grazing muzzle and throw her out on the pasture, checking her frequently to make sure the muzzle is in place and not rubbing (while you are still investigating the cause of the excess water drinking).

I'm guessing ulcers have been investigated?

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    Try a ladle or a cup on a handle - it's a little easier to reach in there with something on a handle.
    Thanks, I didn't think about that. That should be easier than long gloves and a tupperware container!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I think I'd put her in a grazing muzzle and throw her out on the pasture, checking her frequently to make sure the muzzle is in place and not rubbing (while you are still investigating the cause of the excess water drinking).
    I thought about that, but I cannot find a damn halter that will even fit her, nonetheless a grazing muzzle. I don't know what's wrong with her, but I think her head's just misshapen. Seriously though. I've never had a harder to fit horse. A weanling halter fits relatively well, but the poll won't stay on her, well... poll. It's like she doesn't have one! It slips back WAY far and is dangerous. It's not a matter of being too loose because even when it's so tight you can't fit a fist under there (just experimenting) it still slips back. Tried a suckling and that was a joke. I'm moving on to different brands but then I give up. I'm spending a fortune trying to get a halter for her. So at this time no muzzle attachments will work and I can't see the muzzles fitting her safely enough to leave all day. With her pony winter fuzzies and a too small halter she was fine. I need that hair back apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    I'm guessing ulcers have been investigated?

Terri
    No, I just got her and started with the bloodwork. I didn't think of ulcers- never knowingly had a horse with them and the vet didn't mention it. I'm guessing a symptom is excess water consumption?

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

First of all, yes--by all means--try using pelleted bedding. I used to put pellets down first then shavings over top to catch urine.

Next of all--did you have the vet check this youngster's thyroid? Not often, but sometimes very young horses have problems with their thyroids and that affects the way they use water in their bodies (causing them to drink and pee in excess). It could be this gal needs medication to alleviate the symptoms....

As far as collecting the urine--a clean, large mouthed plastic container will work, or a paint bucket or some such container. When I had a dog that drank and urinated continuously I had to leave him at the vet's overnight to make sure he was able to concentrate his urine. Have your horse's urine checked if nothing comes of the thyroid testing.

Good luck!
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

A horse will sometimes drink excess water to "put out the fire" so to speak. If you have a burning sensation in your tummy and the only thing you have access to is water, then maybe this gives you some relief. The only reason I am suggesting this is because you went down all other avenues and found nothing amiss in the bloodwork. Could be something as simple as adding a buffer twice a day to see what happens, on the advice of your vet of course.

But if we see a foal drinking water, it is always the first thing you think of. So why not in an older horse, if the consumption is out of normal range. Both are seeking some sort of relief.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Cushings? Just throwing it out there. Not common in yearlings, but it can happen. Hyperthyroidism? Sort of a part of cushing's syndrome without the other symptoms? Just thinking out loud...

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    I thought about that, but I cannot find a damn halter that will even fit her, nonetheless a grazing muzzle. I don't know what's wrong with her, but I think her head's just misshapen. Seriously though. I've never had a harder to fit horse. A weanling halter fits relatively well, but the poll won't stay on her, well... poll. It's like she doesn't have one! It slips back WAY far and is dangerous. It's not a matter of being too loose because even when it's so tight you can't fit a fist under there (just experimenting) it still slips back. Tried a suckling and that was a joke. I'm moving on to different brands but then I give up. I'm spending a fortune trying to get a halter for her. So at this time no muzzle attachments will work and I can't see the muzzles fitting her safely enough to leave all day. With her pony winter fuzzies and a too small halter she was fine. I need that hair back apparently.
    tie your own rope halter so its a perfect fit. Its *really* easy, cheap, and what I've done for every awkward to fit horse I've known.
    https://secure.cnchost.com/naturalho...iehalter.shtml

eta: read you've only had her 2 weeks, did she have this problem at her previous home? maybe your water just tastes reeeeeeally good?
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

For the halter issue you can perhaps find or make a browband for the yearling halter which would prevent it from sliding back.
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

I agree with others something medically is amiss here ~ in the meantime yes, pellets bedding and top with a little shavings for more comfort . The pellet bedding will help contain the excess urine in a more easily removable form. Good Luck ,,, please keep us posted.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Default LaSalle ~ R.E. Fennells

"LaSalle" google for website for pony halter ~ or Weanling size works for hackney ponies -R.E. Fennells located at the Red Mile Track Lexington ~ sorry can not supply link = computer idiot here. Also there is Just For Ponies a tack store... but truly David LaSalle should be able to supply you with a halter and muzzle without any trouble at all. Ask me how I know ???
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Impressed with the number of armchair endocrinologists here.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I don't have any advice about the excessive urination (I'm not a vet and I don't play one on TV ).

However, to help with the dirty stall, could you avoid locking her in her stall at night? If she has an attached paddock without grass, why not just leave her stall door open 24/7 and allow her to meander in and out as she pleases for the whole time that she isn't on pasture? She might pee outside instead of dirtying her stall.

Good luck! (Oh the joys of home horsekeeping, eh?)...LOL!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    However, to help with the dirty stall, could you avoid locking her in her stall at night? If she has an attached paddock without grass, why not just leave her stall door open 24/7 and allow her to meander in and out as she pleases for the whole time that she isn't on pasture? She might pee outside instead of dirtying her stall.
    Oh, I may have "misspoken". I've only locked her in I think 3 times since she's been here and those were vicious storms and tornado watches. Aside from that she is free to come and go in her paddock. It's little though, maybe 24x30. She is also only about 11h though. I've not seen her pee in the paddock, but I wouldn't necessarily be able to see the evidence though. She does seem to prefer pooping in the paddock though which is at least ONE nice thing. Much easier to pick up.

This happened to me in the past two weeks. Horse suddenly began drinking and peeing nonstop and went off grain. He was in the vet clinic for 24 hours and had blood work, had his kidneys and bladder ultrasounded and the bladder scoped. They sent him home on a course of gastrogard which IMMEDIATELY stopped the problem. They didn't scope his tummy for ulcers as they had tranquilized him twice that day and didn't want to do anything more invasive. Thought the gastrogard would have been sort of a "diagnostic/curative" step.

Its very possible he did have ulcers because we had just moved him to the trainers and started him back in serious work and horse showing.