The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Selecting a jumper stallion; please help narrow the field!

I hate to post these threads but I really am having a hard time making up my mind and figured the good people of COTH could really help narrow my focus.

What I want to produce: A jumping horse for an amateur with a good deal of scope who is also a nice mover. I would prefer something a little 'pretty'. You don't ride the head but it's nice to have one that's nice to look at.

The Mare: Premium mare at her inspection, and grand champion mare for the region. Fantastic mover but also shows good form over jumps. Overall athletic nice mare.
    Strengths are hind end conformation, lovely head and neck and her very good movement. Weakness, could be more short-coupled and taller with more angle through the shoulder. A little 'old fashioned' in shape.

2010 foal by Rubinus is very elegant and refined, very nice mover, appears much more modern in shape than mom, more short coupled.

Pedigree:http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/frontefaline

As such, I am thinking I need a tall, short coupled stallion with a good deal of scope....so I was thinking Holsteiner.

I am open to frozen but would like fresh options too, we are not sure if we want to go frozen with her at her age.

So far I like:
    Limoncello II - don't know much about what he produces, like his video
    Landkoenig - seems a reliable choice for jumper
    Beaulieu's Coolman - Not sure about him
    Quinar - Too much of a refiner? Her 2010 foal is very refined
    Quidam Blue - Local. Short coupled, nice pedigree, might be too small
    http://www.equitopfarm.com/quidamblue.html

Frozen-
    Balou du Rouet - popular, offspring seem to really jump
    Carpaccio - Dual purpose but too small?
    Goodtimes - Also dual purpose but needs bigger mare?
    Diarado - Too much hype, not enough production? I like his look of course. Expensive...
    Cathalido - a little longer outline maybe not best with this mare?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!! Obviously I need to decide ASAP, the clock is ticking.

I really loved my Cathalido colt, super athletic, great type but I dont think he is best with a longer coupled mare.

Also had a great colt by Vallado, very short coupled, nice mover, athletic and I am told did well in the chute. Very nice disposition too.

Have seen some great Landkonig's, Limoncello looks really interesting, perhaps on lighter mare, Karen has been wonderful to deal with, I just bred a mare to Quinar today infact, (the mother of the Vallado & Cathalido's) She is a larger mare (by one of your other selections, Goodtimes), but out of a Calvados mother, so I think that is where her size is coming from.

Quidam Blue looks interesting too, and if you are looking for an amateur mind with good dressage type movement, I would say to consider Coromino too.
    Some others I'd give a look at : Pablo, Le Premieur, Landwerder, Romantic Star, Lordanos, Catoki, Acordelli

Have you checked out Coconut Grove? He is in TX I believe and is a nice stallion...
    I think for the jumpers....
    Good luck
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Willemoes..... check him out: http://www.hilcatfarm.com/Stallions/Willemoes.html
    Tons of scope, overstep and instinct in all of his kids. Great minds and big jumps in those bodies....Will does add size to his foals as well. Willemoes is IJF nominated for 2010.

Proven Jumper and dressage sire, now also making his mark in the hunter ring with his offspring as well....PM me for more info on him if you want.
    * Magic Hill Farm, LLC
    www.MagicHillFarmLLC.com
    "Bridging the Gap Between the Hunter Breeding and Performance Rings in the US"

Don't forget the Trakehner. KD Trakehners in Wisconsin has a wonderful group of young stallions. All have amazing dispositions and athleticism. The staff and David Beatty and Kevin O'Meara are wonderful to work with. We have a Blitz und Donner colt that is absolutely to die for--laid back, gorgeous to look at, and very athletic. Jumped the pasture gate at 9 months (of course, someone had to open it to let him back in where he was supposed to be!). Stiletto at Valhalla produces jump in a big way. There are several others, but I know of these from first hand experience.

Have you seen Landfriese II?

I have a filly who is almost three weeks old by him out of my BIG mare, who is more of an old fashioned type. Foal has got SUPER movement, especially in the canter. Foal looks to be more modern than her dam. I'm very, very pleased.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

How about Steeped in Luck...won in jumpers before turning to dressage
    http://www.pairadoxfarm.com/page/page/2683048.htm
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Hmm, thank you for the suggestions so far.
    I had thought of Pablo too but I have a 3 year old by Portland (Pilot) so thought I'd stay away from the Pilot son just to have something different. He is very nice though.
    Le Primeur is nice and close too, just wasn't sure about him for some reason. I need to think about that one.
    I've never looked at Coromino or Willemoes, thanks.
    Carol, I don't think I want to go Irish but thanks for the suggestion.

I think Landfriesse II might be too refined for this mare. When I say she is 'old fashioned' I guess I meant a little long with shorter legs, a little wide through the chest but she does not have a ton of bone. She is a medium build I'd say. Her foal this year is so refined, maybe she could see a stallion with a bit more bone. That is what I'm running into with Quinar as well, but he has the look and the jump for sure.
    I will try to post a picture of her but I don't think I have any online anywhere. I will dig around.

Any suggestions from a pedigree perspective?
    Thanks again, keep them coming!

Coconut Grove, SCF Renaissance (Lux Z-Silvio I-Landadal), Cisco (Concerto II-Corrado-Lord) and Cobra One (Cape Town-Carano) would top my fresh list given your parameters.

Cunningham would also be interesting but I don't know if he would shorten up your mare at all.

I'd be very leary of using Quinar if you want a definite amateur temperament.

You might want to look at Ironman. He is extremely ami-friendly, has a huge jump and passes on those traits. He also will shorten the back of a long mare, he adds height, and almost always passes on his shoulder angle which is classic. He throws good movement, many of his offspring are winning in hunters and on the line.
    Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Based on what you said and specifically the want of a shorter coupled taller holsteiner stallion, Cisco is one that fits all the criteria. I have seen him and over a dozen offspring at various ages and out of various mares (which I've seen too). A few of the 3 yr olds by him I saw literally had 30 days on them and they were marching around courses with leads. I was impressed. I was told they are all born broke. They were consistently good moving, good jumping horses with fabulous rideability.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I am not sure either about Beaulieu's Coolman to produce a horse that would have a shorter back. You should have a look at the other stallion standing at Beaulieu: Conquest. He might be a better choice. His foals have nice temperaments too.

We have a Willemoes (bred specifically for the Jumper ring) as well as a Cunningham (bred for the Hunter ring) although with his bloodlines from the dam and sire could easily go into the jumper ring as well.

With Willemoes, we crossed him to a more modern lighter type mare (Ulysses M2S by Ekstein) with an incredible technique and catlikeness in her jump. We used him specifically to add some power, while maintaining her excellent conformation, movement, temperament and good looks. Willemoes Colt

With Cunningham, we also crossed him to a more modern lighter type mare (Alla 'Czar by Zeus) with quite a bit of TB blood to produce something with a bit more substance, good temperament and keep her good conformation and perhaps add a bit of height. We are thrilled with the cross and think he added both the height and the power. Cunningham Colt
    Last edited by RyuEquestrian; Jun. 11, 2010 at 11:18 PM.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

You know, I hadn't thought of Cunningham....He is very typey isn't he? I hate to say, sometimes I find it hard to judge the 'real' conformation on the hunters these days because the look now is so heavy. I am used to looking at jumpers and they are obviously carrying a lot less weight. Love his pedigree. I haven't seen him, does he have the scope for the jumpers?
    Thanks!

PS, I agree, Coolman isn't the best for a longer back, I was thinking of Conquest.

I still really like the look of Limoncello II but it's hard when he doesn't have any babies here yet to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    I hate to post these threads but I really am having a hard time making up my mind and figured the good people of COTH could really help narrow my focus.

What I want to produce: A jumping horse for an amateur with a good deal of scope who is also a nice mover. I would prefer something a little 'pretty'. You don't ride the head but it's nice to have one that's nice to look at.

The Mare: Premium mare at her inspection, and grand champion mare for the region. Fantastic mover but also shows good form over jumps. Overall athletic nice mare.
    Strengths are hind end conformation, lovely head and neck and her very good movement. Weakness, could be more short-coupled and taller with more angle through the shoulder. A little 'old fashioned' in shape.

2010 foal by Rubinus is very elegant and refined, very nice mover, appears much more modern in shape than mom, more short coupled.

Pedigree:http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/frontefaline

As such, I am thinking I need a tall, short coupled stallion with a good deal of scope....so I was thinking Holsteiner.

I am open to frozen but would like fresh options too, we are not sure if we want to go frozen with her at her age.

So far I like:
    Limoncello II - don't know much about what he produces, like his video
    Landkoenig - seems a reliable choice for jumper
    Beaulieu's Coolman - Not sure about him
    Quinar - Too much of a refiner? Her 2010 foal is very refined
    Quidam Blue - Local. Short coupled, nice pedigree, might be too small
    http://www.equitopfarm.com/quidamblue.html

Frozen-
    Balou du Rouet - popular, offspring seem to really jump
    Carpaccio - Dual purpose but too small?
    Goodtimes - Also dual purpose but needs bigger mare?
    Diarado - Too much hype, not enough production? I like his look of course. Expensive...
    Cathalido - a little longer outline maybe not best with this mare?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!! Obviously I need to decide ASAP, the clock is ticking.
    Check out Barleone
    http://www.performancewarmbloods.com/horses/barleone

Default Cisco!

http://www.legacysporthorses.com/

I totally agree with this pick, he is a fantastic Holsteiner stallion. SUPER ammy friendly. Lots of jump and movement.

In the website, it is kinda hard to find his page, go to "breeding" then click on his jumping picture to get to his 4 or 5 videos, a few at liberty and a few jumping as well. I personally met this guy 2-3 years ago and he is very impressive in person too.

A couple others:

Cotopaxi: Not sure that you would get height
    Concerto Grosso: He would be a nice match with a great pedigree

Can I add to please look at Cocounut Grove at octoberhill.com. He is a nice jumper and adds a lot scope and bone....He is a very well kept secret....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    Can I add to please look at Cocounut Grove at octoberhill.com. He is a nice jumper and adds a lot scope and bone....He is a very well kept secret....
    Although I love Coconut Grove and I have a 3 yr old Coconut Grove, I would not use him to add bone.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

We have a landfiese II yearling here out of a irish TB mare(I believe not my mare but not an american TB) really nice long legs, good personality, looks like he will become a jumper/eventer. He is also good looking, looks just like his dad.