The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The new and improved Lyme Clique!

Well Guys, today my horse was acting weird....more like the Lyme thing..Is it my imagination after all these discussions or is it real! EEKKK!!!!
    He is nervous at the mounting block, tossing his head when asked to go forward, hanging his peepee down a lot, very sensitive to touch....
    I just e-mailed my vet. She is going to think I am crazy! Help! and we did 21 days of Oxytet and 30 days of Doxy!
    Someone save me form Lyme!
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Count me in the Lyme clique! I hate Lyme!

I'll join in...Depending on Kiwi's blood results this Friday, I might be treating for a 5th time in the past 6 years.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Ohhh Lymes can KISS MY A**!! the mare is not eating her doxy so i'm in the process of creating a paste with applesauce - which yesterday i managed to squirt all over myself and the BO's office!! ughh.. so i spent the majority of the hour i was there cleaning..

then - make matters worse - she's still NQR behind!! i'm hoping its because she hasn't been eating her doxy consistantly - but truth be told this whole Lyme's stuff is for the BIRDS!

What the Fruitbat!!

ivy - thanks for starting this!!
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

I just got finished a few weeks ago treating my horse for Lyme. He had very little in the way of symptoms, and I was sure it was something else that was the problem. We treated him with Doxy

My vet gave me a choice between 45 people pills 2x/ day for 45 days, or a very concentrated flavored powder that a compounding pharmacy put together, also 2x/day for 45 days. I picked the powder because other people were also going to be medicating him. Whatever they flavored it with worked like a charm. I think it had some peppermint oil in it. I just put it in a bucket with a little bit of Mare & Foal (a bit on the sticky side), and he lapped every bucket dry.

He has been back to his old self, but I'm really worried this may be some sort of a chronic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by walktrot View Post
    I just got finished a few weeks ago treating my horse for Lyme. He had very little in the way of symptoms, and I was sure it was something else that was the problem.
    What sort of symptoms did he have? Recently my mare has started having trouble with moderate to severe skin sensitivity, and has been acting very erratic. Random bouts of rearing up, trotting circles, etc. while hand leading, and just general anxiety. She is being rehabbed from a sprained fetlock, so at first I thought the general lack of exercise was the problem, but now the nagging (neurotic) voice in my head is starting to wonder about lyme...

It apparently started last summer when he was having an “offness” problem in his right front foot. The vet did a lameness check including 2 nerve blocks that isolated it to his foot. Not even a hint that it might be Lyme because we didn’t see the classic symptoms like lameness that wanders around, weight loss, loss of appetite, inflamed swollen joints, behavior changes (other than he got “mopey” as one person put it), and so forth. But my friend the b/o had the vet draw blood for the expensive test, not the SNAP test that just registers positive or negative. Sure enough he was in the high moderate range (recent or resolving). I was so sure it would be negative I was all set to launch an “I told you so” attack on all my friends.

His slide into "mopiness" was very subtle. I'm kicking myself that I didn't notice that he just wasn't feeling good. He had absolutely no behavior changes, maintained his role as alpha in an 11 horse gelding herd (most of whom are out 24/7), had no changes in appetite, no skin sensitivity or joint issues. Good old 20/20 hindsight tells me that there were signs there. I thought we were just dealing with a minor soft tissue injury that was taking its time.

I never found any ticks at all on him last year, but that deer tick is so tiny it’s just about impossible to spot. The vet said it may have been on the underside of the dock of his tail or in the anal area. Now I’ll be much more careful cleaning, as apparently they can get it again if they get bit again. I sure hope not, and I sure hope it won't be chronic.

I did google and found some interesting articles. I don't have the links but the best articles I found are:

NetPets.com has one by Bushmich at Univ. of Connecticut: "Lyme Disease in Horses".

"Lyme disease in horses requires health treatment." May have been on MyHorse.com (This one seemed to be the most comprehensive.)

"Equine Lyme disease: significant or coincidence." by Thomas Divers.

My vet says if you test all the horses in Maine for Lyme you'll probably have 1/2 of them test positive. The literature says that only about 10% of infected horses show any clinical signs of the disease. There is a SNAP test for dogs that works fine on horses, which only shows + or -. We went straight to the expensive test that shows the titer.

I don't have any idea who the compounding pharmacy is who made the doxcy powder, but it sure did the job.

B&C, I'd be inclined to test for Lyme. I think a lot of people go through all sorts of possibilities before thinking about Lyme. The test ran about $150. The medication was a bit over $400 for 45 day supply but it was worth it for ease of use and palatability for the horse.

Default Lyme Symptoms

Quote Originally Posted by BrightandClear View Post
    What sort of symptoms did he have? Recently my mare has started having trouble with moderate to severe skin sensitivity, and has been acting very erratic. Random bouts of rearing up, trotting circles, etc. while hand leading, and just general anxiety. She is being rehabbed from a sprained fetlock, so at first I thought the general lack of exercise was the problem, but now the nagging (neurotic) voice in my head is starting to wonder about lyme...
    I'm very curious about the possible symptoms as well-my older wb gelding has had increasingly sensitive/very itchy skin as well as acting erractic,spooky and also just general anxiety and tenseness as well-almost exactly what you're describing-he paws occassionally when tacking up,and won't stand at the mounting block,and just drags me in/out from the field and trotting circles around me like you described-this is not his normal behavior...i had him at the clinic to have his hocks/stifles injected,and i had the vet check his back for soreness-none,also had them check his eyes-which also were fine-had some old age changes/floaters,but nothing else remarkable.

He itched himself so bad that he scraped his face apart this morning,and the bugs/heat had him so worked up at 8am this morning that he was running/sweating/huffing and puffing and flaring his nostrils by the time we got him in-so he is just not himself to say the least....vet just so happend to be there-he had a low grade fever,and some welts on him-so we gave him some bananmine,recover(antihistamine) and cooled him off...i had them pull blood for lyme,and do a cbc/chem just to be on the safe side.

So i'm anxiously awaiting the results.
    R.I.P. "Henry" 4/22/05 - 3/26/2010 We loved you so much....gone but NEVER FORGOTTEN...i hope we meet again

ughh!! since this is the Lyme's clique i can vent right!?

The silly horse has decided to STOP eating her meds again - she eats them for about 2 days and then stops!! If i had the money i would go to my local pharmacy and have them compound it - but they are going to charge me an arm and a leg and darnit - i already bought all the meds!!

Has anyone tried making molasses treats? balls with the doxy and grain? the paste i'm making works but it's a royal pain!

I'm soo frustrated! i just want her to get better!

Sparkle- have you tried mixing them with applesauce? Some horses really like that...my vet is coming next Thursday, in a way I am hoping it is Lyme, that I can treat rather easily and quickly...Hurdle eats the Doxy no problem...and also has never had an issue with the IV Oxytet either....

I am waiting for my test results back. It's a longshot, but it's been a week, so maybe they are running the WB.

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    Sparkle- have you tried mixing them with applesauce? Some horses really like that...my vet is coming next Thursday, in a way I am hoping it is Lyme, that I can treat rather easily and quickly...Hurdle eats the Doxy no problem...and also has never had an issue with the IV Oxytet either....
    The applesauce was the first thing i tried when she first stopped eating them. What is SUPER weird is that last year when we treated her, she ate them like a champ! this time around - she could care less! I've also tried every mixture i could with her feed to try figure out why she doesn't like them. Originally i thought it was the new Probiotics that i added in - so i stopped them - she ate it for the next day, then stopped again.

IDK - i'm on my last test tomorrow to see if she'll eat them, otherwise i'm going to make Molasses Doxy treats/paste and that's what she's getting.

I can say this much - at the end of this Lyme treatment i'll be a PRO at mixing up doxy with everything under the sun. I"m even considering marketing my own line of horse "pill pockets" just to make this process easier..

Gotta love these 4 legged creatures!!

Ivy - - oh!! and is Oxytet the same thing as the Tetracycline (sp?) or is this a different drug???

I keep meaning to PM you and i forget!!

Sparkle- yes they are the same. Are you giving her anything for her belly? Doxy can upset the tummy very easily..I used the Bio sponge and he never had any issues at all.....she may have existing ulcers form the previous treatment as an aside....especially if you treated her in the recent past....has she been sensitive or cranky since the last administration?
    Can you crush the pills and mix it with a mouthful of sweet feed? Most horses do not turn that stuff down.....

OK, I am going to big time vent here.

In 2008, I had 5 horses with lyme. Three are now chronic.

Yesterday, had the vet out, and had them all tested through the snap test, and if positive, to send to cornell for western blot.
    My two year old, well, he's not even 2 yet, is positive for LYME. I am so darn mad.

I have done the equi spot religiously. He was tested in december, and was negative.

Sorry, kind of rambling here.
    5 horses positive, so will never be able to get the vaccine.
    3 horses came to me in fall of 2007 from down south, so had them tested, they were negative, and vaccinated them.
    one mare is needle phobic, so we didn't vaccinate her, she later had the foal, who is now coming 2. BTW, she tested negative, and will be joining the other 3 and get vaccinated asap.

I did not want to vaccinate him last year as a yearling, since it is off label and just in case, but now he is positive so I can't vaccinate him. I am so darn mad. I love this guy, and have seen the horrid effects the disease has on the positive ones, even though we have treated.

Interesting that the 3 who have now been here 2.5 years and vaccinated are still negative, while everyone else on the farm is now positive, except my baby's mare. hmmmmmm

I know my vet does not like doing off label vaccinating, but as she puts it...I have insisted. We talked about it yesterday, and I am going to bet, she is now going to rethink this vaccine. She told me I am her only client, and I told her, let's see what happens to the three rescue's results, and if still negative after being here almost 3 years, I think that presents some credibility to the vaccine. Since, my baby was negative in december, I am sure she is thinking just luck, but now that he is positive, she might think differently.

Regardless, I am so upset I did not vaccinate him last year and so mad that I have my baby with this disease. I hate it, hate it.

According to what has been studied so far, only negative horses should be vaccinated. not The preliminary tests are only on those horses who are negative. No studies on positive horses, so I won't vaccinate any horse not negative.

What vac are you using? I had never heard of one except for dogs..If that is the one you are using how do you know the dosage?
    My horse is already chronic so it will not help him but for others I would like to know. PLease tell?.......

Default Update

So this morning we did just the Doxy crushed (grinded in a coffee grinder) her Platinum performance and her sweet feed.. she ate MOST of it.

I think what i'm going to end up doing is feeding her it in morning feed via crushed pills - and then pasting her in the evening.

Ivy - yes she is getting Probiotics in the evening since i've been doing her paste an hour before she eats.

I've also resorted to making a paste with Kyro syrup and not molasses.. fingers crossed!!

SparklePlenty - sent you a PM.

I started Kiwi on doxy today...eats them like they're candy with his grain and some molasses poured on top.

My problem...he got his first 50 pills in the morning (around 9am after I picked them up from the vets) and by 2pm he was acting sick with an upset stomach. Not into eating much and he did his weird obsessive tongue licking thing, which he does anytime he colics. He wasn't colicing but wasn't happy either. I texted my vet to see if I could give him some Ulcergard and she said okay. Tubed him with some and he was fine a few hours later.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

you really should be treating him with some type of probiotic when you give them the doxy. But i think its best to not give it at the same time as the doxy.. so maybe a lunchtime probio would be best?? Instead of the Ulcergard.

Welcome to the club!