The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Short flap saddle on a budget?

I have been looking everywhere for a dressage saddle with a 15 inch flap. I need at least a 17, or 17.5 with medium tree. And Budget is 1,500. I can't seem to find anything on ebay or tack shops(online & instore). I don't want to go custom at this point. Any brands other than Debbie Mcdonald that offer a short flap?

I have a Sommer monoflap with a shorter 15-15.5" flap (somewhere in that range). They're pretty hard to find in the US I guess, but I paid about $750 for a used one. Love it.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I found mine on Tack Trader and it just happened to be local. I'd check there if you haven't already.

Buy one that's under your budget and pay to have the flaps shortened by a saddler. Suddenly you'll have more choices than you know what to do with.

oh my goodness there was a gorgeous one floating around on ebay not too long ago, I think it was a north star? what ever it was it was heavenly looking and had 15" flaps, poor seller couldn't give it away at $900.

I frequently see prestige saddles with short flaps, and albions too, infact there was a short flap albion on ebay not too long ago either with 15" flaps. Both can be found on ebay under $1500, under $1k sometimes too.
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

I almost bought this one http://tacktrader.com/show_item.php?...7&share_this=Y until I was told my horse, like the seller's, needed curvier panels.

Someone was also selling a new Bates Innova in a size 0, which actually has a 17.5" seat, for $1500 last week. The flaps are 15.5". I don't know if it sold. That one also was too straight for my horse.

I'm currently looking into the Stubben Juventus D or Stubben Scandica DL.

Default Short flap Schleese on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/USED-SCHLEESE-JE...item4aa1d62733

Schleese JES 17.5", short-flap saddle.
    "Buy it now" at $1725 or "make an offer"

Quote Originally Posted by zakkandtoto View Post
    I'm currently looking into the Stubben Juventus D or Stubben Scandica DL.
    Can you use and XW?

another option is the County Drespri, which is their 'all purpose' model with the adjustable flap. They're very comfortable, you can set the flap at the straight dressage position, and its usually around 15". They're pretty inexpensive used. I love mine, unfortunately it doesn't fit my horse, but it fits DD's so I have an excuse not to part with it.

I finally gave up my search for a 16.5" seat and a 15" flap and bought a nice used Frank Baines with a 17" seat and a 16" flap. Fits my boy nice, but I want a new custom Baines.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I sent you a private message.

Thank everyone for the offers and suggestions. I think I have found an albion with short flap.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    I finally gave up my search for a 16.5" seat and a 15" flap and bought a nice used Frank Baines with a 17" seat and a 16" flap. Fits my boy nice, but I want a new custom Baines.
    I have a used Frank Baines Elegance 16.5" seat 15" flap on trial right now from Pelham Saddlery. Not sure it's working for me. You could line up dibs on the next trial. If you're looking to part with yours, I wouldn't mind trying a 17" seat as I feel a little squished in the 16.5". Actually, I'm fairly local to you, wonder if there's an opportunity to save on shipping -?
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I sent you a PM.

Thank you for all the pm offers. I did find an albion saddle with a short flap.