The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Fashion trends that never cease to amaze...

Last fall's abercrombie catalog featured some "lovely" fleece leggings styled like breeches. They even had the guts to call them the "perfect skinny pant." Puh-lease, I wanted to barf. Because when I want to feel skinny I definitely put on breeches!

Now today as I am perusing the Nordstrom website over lunch, I come across these beauties... they're almost full seats and the patches are even real leather!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

I wore skinny jeans tucked into my new field boots this winter... got all sorts of oohs and ahs in the office.

Oh, and one person gave me the raised eyebrow, but I've since figured out that she's a rider... and probably recognized them from what they are!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

and for the price of the above linked, you can buy the real deal (and they last longer)

but hey, they still look decent, not like somebody I saw once upon a time: aqua/turquoise colored pants with a roundish 'leather' insert in the seat in poop brown....looked like the person didn't quiet make it to the loo in time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    and for the price of the above linked, you can buy the real deal (and they last longer)

but hey, they still look decent, not like somebody I saw once upon a time: aqua/turquoise colored pants with a roundish 'leather' insert in the seat in poop brown....looked like the person didn't quiet make it to the loo in time...

I feel like someone needs to start a "people of WalMart"-esque website to chronicle all these perversions of equestrian fashion... I would but I am far too lazy

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

LOL!
    Yup - I love the ads for "riding boots" in thin leather.
    Yup, those would stand up to a session in the saddle...NOT!

Twigster - did you notice those pants "stretch with wear" ?
    I know I look for breeches that will guarantee a baggy seat for future rides
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    LOL!
    Yup - I love the ads for "riding boots" in thin leather.
    Yup, those would stand up to a session in the saddle...NOT!

Twigster - did you notice those pants "stretch with wear" ?
    I know I look for breeches that will guarantee a baggy seat for future rides
    OMG I so did not even see that! I was so focused on zooming in on the leather patches I never finished reading about them Because the real reason we wear full seats is for that awesome diaper-butt feeling you know.

Cool

Dratted high heels keep catching in stirrups!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Dratted high heels keep catching in stirrups!
    I HATE it when that happens! And my bikini thong gets wedged even higher than I thought it could ever go when I ride in my bathing suit.

(You all know, I haven't wore a bathing suit, much less a bikini or thongs, in many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many years. Or heels. Old fat fart here.)
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I saw these in person over the weekend. What???? They even have self knee patches! Who honestly looks at those and thinks "wow, those are hot!"?? Mysteries of the world...

I've had my *very* fashion forward friend begging to buy my old breeches off of me, so I sold her a pair that had holes in them, she sewed them up and wears them out all the time....
    If only horses would use their athletic powers for good instead of evil. ~ MHM

I went into an American Apparel store in Boston and stopped dead when I saw one of the salesgirls wearing these:

http://store.americanapparel.net/rsaor300.html?cid=153

I was about to ask her where she rides, when I realized that she was FAR too clean and trendy-looking to actually be wearing real, functional breeches.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Ew. Those american apparel ones are hideous! They're the like the "mom jean" version of breeches. Mom Breeches.

so it's POSSIBLE the "looks" I've gotten when I stop at the store on the way home from the barn are looks of admiration about my fashionable dress?

I've been noticing riding-like boots on professors and out around town lately.

Maybe those are GOOD stares I'm getting now when I go out in breeches and field boots?

Those jeans with self knee patches are gross tastic.

Edited to add: my husband just walked up behind me and said "I want to see you put heels on like that with your breeches" and then started cracking up.

Ha. Funny.
    Last edited by Fun Size; Jun. 9, 2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: to add my DH's comment

I've been known to wander the town in flipflops and my Irideon tights... maybe the looks are because I'm stylish?
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Lightbulb

Has anyone looked at the reviews of the American Apparel ones? Here's a few:

I really wanted to love these but I just couldn't, they looked so bad on me. It made my legs look 10 lbs heavier, it just wasn't for me. It looked like a gooder, just not on me.
    -- okay, you're weird .. EVERYONE looks soooo great in riding pants.

I bought the taupe riding pant and completely fell in love. I'm 5'4 and weight 125 pounds and it hugged the right spots like i could not belive. I wore it with the white cotton spandex jersey tank thong and some nice pumps and accesories and had everyone telling i looked like kim Kardashian
    -- hahahahahha. Is it bad that I almost died laughing reading this?

I know the next uber cool equestrian wear: It's gotta be 'destroyed' breeches. Darn! Why did I just throw those out!

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Ew. Those american apparel ones are hideous! They're the like the "mom jean" version of breeches. Mom Breeches.
    ...Mreeches?
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Hey, why is this bad? This just means that "skinny pants" aka breeches and boots are now "fashionable" dress, and one can go from wherever to the barn without bothering to change, all while being admired for our "awesome boots" (even while wearing paddocks and half chaps.)

Maybe I need to start wearing my show shirts to the office.

lol redkat, think I could get away with wearing one of these to work?
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Whoa... I realize models are supposed to be tall and thin, but the pic in the OP actually had me doing a double take.
    <><