The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default This 4 yo is calling my name!!!

OMG, this son of Holy Bull has got my attention! Someone tell me not to call the trainer, please?

http://www.canterne.org/images-salehorses/Nikobokko.jpg

You're right. I think calling the trainer would be a terrible idea

So have you picked up the phone yet???

-Jessica

I think I would leave the phone on the hook for this one. He is so so downhill and I'm not a huge fan of how his neck ties in. However, his croup looks very powerful so he might ride totally differently from how he looks in the photo.

nice looking guy. downhill horses need love too.

He's only 4. He might have some more growing to do. My TB mare grew 2 inches after she turned 4.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Hony View Post
    I think I would leave the phone on the hook for this one. He is so so downhill and I'm not a huge fan of how his neck ties in. However, his croup looks very powerful so he might ride totally differently from how he looks in the photo.

Agree. Could be the photo, but his front legs would have to grow A LOT! Have seen this type struggle with dressage. hard workers can overcome it, but it takes some very good riding and a very willing horse.

Also could be nothing, but hes got some filling in back right fetlock/ pastern area. Could be nothing, but Im trying to help you not pick up the phone

Wow he's built a lot like my OTTB. I just moved mine up to the 1.40m jumpers and he's got scope to do a lot more, so I'm gonna say that I'm not particularly bothered by his less-than-perfect conformation. So have you called yet?

Might be worth a look? He is nauseatingly downhill, but what if it's an optical illusion? If I look at point of shoulder compared to stifle, he is not downhill. And are they stretching his head out to make the neck look better? I like the fact that he is rather large boned, at least in the picture.

I think if you have an inkling, you are only out your time to go visit him. You'll know in the first 30 seconds if the picture is accurate or not.

Quote Originally Posted by aroundtuit View Post
    Might be worth a look? He is nauseatingly downhill, but what if it's an optical illusion? If I look at point of shoulder compared to stifle, he is not downhill.
    I rotated it in photoshop to get a clearer view and he still looked downhill, but not any more downhill than some 4-year-olds I've seen. Certainly not as godawful as this original picture angle makes him look.

Mine was about as downhill as this one when was 4, and he's grown up to be pretty much even--not uphill but not downhill either. And frankly, many horses who are SLIGHTLY downhill are still excellent jumpers. Wouldn't be my first choice of traits for an upper-level horse, but I wouldn't discount it for Prelim or below.

OTOH, I'd be nervous about that filling on the back leg. That looks suspish.

My 2 very best jumpers are hugely downhill. They can jump the moon. Ya, dressage can be tricky but with a lot of good basics, you'll get a massive trot lengthening and some gorgeous canter work. The jumping will blow you away. When you go see him, do remember to pay very close attention to that RH...I do not like its looks in this photo.

Oh, did you call yet?
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Go for it!!!

My INSANELY downhill filly is amazing when undertack... still a race horse....

My 4yr old gelding is eventing (sorta- time issue, my bad ) he is 2 inches downhill but scored a 31 at his first USEA event and scored a 21 last year at a schooling event so it can be done.
    And like others have said it really has no bearing on their jumping.
    His Dosage Profile is kinda speed based and that explains his confo.... mare profile is pretty even (speed/distance= 13/14) so I would expect him to be able to level out when undersaddle.

But really, if he is "your horse" it wont matter!!!
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

While not a fan of down hill horses it would not stop me from riding one (maybe from buying one) but I compete and ride several. They are plane more effort on the flat but some of the grand prix jumpers I know are very down hill, again the dressage is a DRAG. and while down hill is or can be good for race horses it's not a bonus for dressage

The down hill thing is eh ok but what the hell is up with the way his neck comes into his BODY. That would be more of a negative than the down hill. By the way folks these horses can grow more but at 4 they don't all of a sudden grow up hill, sometimes with muscle and strength a horse can work more up hill but this horse will never be up hill. Personal pet peeve is when people say a horse like this will pop up through the wither.. REALLY only not so much. If the groom was not stretching and holding his head and neck up you would pass, ask for a photo without him being propped up.

Sorry but I would have to PASS
    To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart

I really like him! Lovely shoulder!! Call!

The horse listed below him is nicer "Giant"
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

How could you pass over this guy ?
    http://www.canterne.org/images-saleh...tiGrayColt.jpg
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Hony View Post
    Agree... He may grow... But then again he's 4 there's a stronger chance imop that he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    My 2 very best jumpers are hugely downhill. They can jump the moon. Ya, dressage can be tricky but with a lot of good basics, you'll get a massive trot lengthening and some gorgeous canter work. The jumping will blow you away. When you go see him, do remember to pay very close attention to that RH...I do not like its looks in this photo.

Oh, did you call yet?
    ditto
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I think the picture is an awkward one and I learned long ago that an iffy picture can make the nicest horse look like it should be on fugly. I have also had horses come off the track at 4 and even 5 that have growth spurts. I'd go look at him and take a look at that hind and go from there if you go on a Saturday morning and hook up with a CANTER volunteer you may also find something even better - for every horse on the trainer listings there are two looking for homes at the track!
    -Jessica

I'll never forgive my 4 y/o 15hh medicine hat tb/qh cross that grew into a 17hh monster 2 years later. I was going to use him for barrels and he ended up being a dressage horse and then later a stadium jumper. Sun was too brutal to him for the eventing or I am sure he would have done that too. He was built a bit like this guy except a bit more uphill. I like the confo on this guy am worried about the leg and can't stand the tie in of the neck. Love his head though and I love that thick neck.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I'm with jumpingbug on this one. Not only is he downhill with *really* short front legs, but his neck is short and comes out of the center of his chest. I'd pass. I know the camera can make things look bad, but they are trying to pose this one well, and he just looks funky.