The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Virginia Hound Show video and photos

We've just put these up at Full Cry: A Hound Blog at www.houndwelfare.wordpress.com.

Because we went with Iroquois, there's a lot about our hounds, but we also have video of many other hounds, including some good samples from the pack classes. We had a great time there and hope you did too; and if you weren't able to make it there this year, we hope this might help you enjoy it vicariously!

I'm not much of a blog reader but yours is so terrific it's a must read. I've bookmarked it and will visit often.

I was sorry not to meet more COTH folks at the hound show, but with over 700 hounds and so many people it was difficult to get around to everyone.

Thanks for sharing.

(I hope Mr. Box is feeling better. Don't you feed that hound? )

eta: - may I ask who created the video and if it was presented to the public? It's very well done.

Default Mr. Box

Well, he is over here nodding vigorously: "That's right, that's RIGHT! You don't feed me enough, DO you?" He is the fattest little white hound you have ever seen. He looks like a football, but with a pulled back muscle. Don't tell him, but we are trying to slim him down a bit.

Poor old Mr. Box! He does seem to feel better, thanks for asking about him!

Thanks, too, for your nice words about the blog. We're having a lot of fun with it. I had no idea there were more than 700 hounds at Virginia! I'd heard 400-ish, but if they had that kind of a turnout, that's really tremendous. It was just great to be in a place where there were about a dozen hounds in any direction you looked, all the time. Loved it. Only wish they had beagles and bassets there, too, but I guess you can't have everything!

Default To answer your second question ...

I made the video, and it's public only in the sense that it's up on the blog (and YouTube). I'd love to gradually expand into actual documentaries about hunting, so if you have any leads I'd be happy to hear about them!

The only suggestions I can offer is in music.

May I suggest La Musica Notturna Delle Strade Di Madrid No. 6, Op. 30 (Boccherini)

Especially if you're capturing the field at the canter. The piece is perfect for capturing the action on a typical day.

We have basset and beagle trials at Aldie with the National Beagle Club - you should come. It's big fun. I can't remember if I see you there or not - I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

I'll save a biscuit for Mr. Box. (I've got a troublesome beagle too - she just brought part of a deer leg into the computer room and dropped it at my feet. Thank you, Peanut. Lovely smell.)

Seriously, great job. I could watch documentary/profile pieces on horses and hounds all day long. These were terrific and I get all weepy when I watch them.

Congratulations on your hounds performance. Did you get a look at Maximus? My God. The name fits him perfectly. He was stunning.

Maximus really was en eyeful! But I never seemed to get a clear shot at him with my camera, either digital or video, except with his rear end toward me! He was even pretty from that angle.

I've never been to Aldie, but I'd like to go someday. The pack we beagle with no longer competes there, so we've never gone on our own, but next spring I think I'd like to. It partly depends on timing--the Triple Crown starts heating up about that time, and between that and the end of the major two-year-old sales, things get busy workwise. But I'll try.

Will keep Boccherini in mind!