The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse books I sent to the bookstore, and now want to buy back

I have sent a lot of books that I never read to a local bookstore for credit at that book store.

A lot of them haven't sold and I find myself pining for them whenever I visit the store. The two that really get me are the coffee table book Horses and Ponies another is Bomb Proofing Your Horse.

I think its just the memories that I associate with these books, because I hadn't read or referenced them in nearly a decade. In trying to be a practical a person I went through a lot of my stuff and got rid of what I didn't use.

The Horses and Ponies book contains no practical information, but reminds me of being a little kid. The bomb proofing book is one I got when I was 12 and was "torturing" an arab mare and making her walk over mattresses, tarps, and all sorts of other ridiculous crap, and the mare was basically a saint to me.

But I won't USE these books actively, I like to think that I know how to desensitize a horse or about the things covered in the coffee book. I'm basically caught between trying to a be a practical, efficient person and cherishing little bits of my childhood.

Sigh. I think I'll go get the books tomorrow.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Default Know that you aren't alone....

I have books I have had since I was seven or eight--I read them dozens of times but can't seem to give them up because my daddy bought them for me. That was his way of backing my love for horses since my parents could not afford to buy me a horse plus my mother had no clue he had even bought me these books (she didn't want me around horses). Both of my parents are long gone.

Yes, I could easily give them up--they are very basic books-- but there are good memories attached to them.

As long as it's only two books, Amchara, I don't see what the harm is. Now, if it were twenty books I would probably have a different opinion. Years from now you might have a change of heart again.... Do what you have to do....
    "Marriage is like a deck of cards--it starts with two hearts and a diamond and after a while you wish you had a club and a spade." ~seen on an anniversary card~

Just today the middle school librarian and I were chatting about books we read when we were in middle school. I recalled some books by a retired Army colonol, S.P. Meek. Most were about dogs, although he wrote a couple about horses. I had Franz, a Dog of the Police; Gustav, Son of Franz; and ____________, a dog of the Border Patrol. I also had one of my all time fav horse books: Frog, the Horse Who Knew No Master.

The librarian had never heard of this guy so I did a search on amazon. Someone had a copy of the Franz book listed at $300. I wish mine hadn't been sold in a yard sale 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrcltr View Post
    I recalled some books by a retired Army colonol, S.P. Meek. Most were about dogs, although he wrote a couple about horses. I had Franz, a Dog of the Police; Gustav, Son of Franz; and ____________, a dog of the Border Patrol.
    That would be Hans, Dog of the Border Patrol, a story about a Boxer.

While I am of the 'let them go' faction these days, books are my weakness...and I can certainly relate.

Somewhere in the depth of my messy piles of accumulated literary wisdom is a small book guide to the breeds of the world. man I could look at that baby for HOURS, or, and I am considering to pass it on to my niece, she is the right age, a commemorative edition of my favorite books series...it contains something like 10 of the books. Love love LOVE it!!

Heaven knows, growing up sucks...why not have those little momentos of nostalgia around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Laytian View Post
    That would be Hans, Dog of the Border Patrol, a story about a Boxer.
    Ahhhh. Thank you for supplying that name. I couldn't remember, and that was one of my favorites. It's too bad they are so hard to find now as I saw several in the list on amazon that I never had the pleasure of reading.