The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation KY Gov. signs horse protection bill

removed
    Last edited by spirithorse; Jun. 8, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
    www.hartetoharte.org
    Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

what are you saying?
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Can we please stop looking to the show ring for the 'abuse'?

Yes they have their horrid accounts, but how much of it is torture and leads to death?

The real abuse is happening in the backyards of peoples homes. Starving horses because, "George didn't pay his board bill this month" THAT is true suffering.

Horses without shade in 110 degrees! Horses living in a dark barn alone with feet long enough to deform their legs for life.

If we want to focus our efforts on abuse...

Educate the masses.

Talking just informing

Just posting what I found.
    One blogger makes a claim and you can read it.
    Now the Gov. signs a bill that really has no teeth regarding any kind of abuse.
    I agree that abuse is in the back yard as well as the show ring, and on the race track too.
    However, alot of abuse is unintentional because people just lack knowledge.
    www.hartetoharte.org

I am unclear on a couple of things:

What exactly is your point and what makes this purely Dressage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Default THE POINT IS !!!!!!

So dressage has no abuse in it?
    Have you ever acquired knowledge as to what a tetanic contraction is and the impact it has upon the gait of the horse?

As previously stated, just informing.
    www.hartetoharte.org

so in the giant scope of things the government should be concerned first about WEG competition horses... dressage to be exact since this is specifically in the dressage forum... and not first to the horses who are starving out in pastures with no shelters?

Whether you or I or someone here believes it is abusive to practice particular dressage movements (as you now purport that dressage in ITSELF is abusive) I'm sure if you brought a WEG horse case up to a judge who is seeing all of the neglect and poor conditions cases where horses are pooping worms and becoming infertile because their insides are being digested... they would dismiss it quickly... and maybe infer that you were wasting their time.

First things first...
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

I think Spirithorse really, really needs to get out and volunteer for a rescue, a REAL rescue like the United States Equine Rescue League. They always need help and then you will stop complaining about the WEG dressage horses. When a horse takes it's last breath in your arms because his body has digested his heart because there was no food, then I think you'll put things in perspective. If you are so concerned, then get out and DO something for the horses that are truly suffering.
    Last edited by dwblover; Jun. 8, 2010 at 11:24 PM.

.. I think spirithorse is experiencing a tetanic contraction as he's writing his post!
    Last edited by siegi b.; Jun. 9, 2010 at 08:26 AM.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Default Lack vs. Lax

This. . .

Definition of lax from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary with audio pronunciations, thesaurus, Word of the Day, and word games. ... 2 : deficient in firmness : not stringent <lax control> <a lax foreman>; 3 a : not tense, firm, or rigid : slack

You want lax not lack.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    I think Spirithorse really, really needs to get out and volunteer for a rescue, a REAL rescue like the United States Equine Rescue League. They always need help and then you will stop complaining about the WEG dressage horses. When a horse takes it's last breathe in your arms because his body has digested his heart because there was no food, then I think you'll put things in perspective. If you are so concerned, then get out and DO something for the horses that are truly suffering.
    Agreed. I have worked with rescue groups and if you want to see real abuse, that is where you go. Starved horses, barely able to move and then the 'owner' suddenly shows up to claim them. Owner was out of town, person who as supposed to feed did not, blah, blah. Heard the same story several times. Horses with maggots in wounds, the list goes on.

Spirithorse, IMO, is focused on dressage horses in that this person, from what I remember from past posts, practices equine massage therapy or something to that effect thus it why the focus on muscle contractions. Thus possibly more focused on personal interest rather than the big problem, horse neglect.

How about you, spirithorse, go slopping through a manure, mud invested pasture to pull a starved horse out of the muck rather than go after those who show? I have dug horses out of mud, removed barb wire from their flesh and got them back to health. I think looking at the real problem would be better, not focusing on your specific 'skill' and how it could relate to 'abused' show horses ( myotherapy). At least show horses get better health care than most humans and have regular meals.
    Last edited by 4xhoof; Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: trying to be more clear

Quote Originally Posted by spirithorse View Post
    Have you ever acquired knowledge as to what a tetanic contraction is and the impact it has upon the gait of the horse?

Why would I want to know what a 'tetanic' contraction is?

And are you implying that abuse is exclusive to dressage?
    Is that all dressage riders, or some?

You did not answer the question:
    What is your point of view on the law
    and what makes you think this needs to be sequestered in the dressage forum....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Thumbs up Health & welfare of the horse requires maximum integrity

"Why would I want to know what a 'tetanic' contraction is?"

It is the number one muscle injury in horses and leads to broken bones, etc......

"And are you implying that abuse is exclusive to dressage?
    Is that all dressage riders, or some?"

Never IMPLIED that abuse is exclusive to dressage. And never IMPLIED all dressage riders.

"You did not answer the question:
    and what makes you think this needs to be sequestered in the dressage forum...."

The law appears not to have much enforcement capabilities, though it is fundamentally sound idea. I placed here for educational purposes to inform.

"How about you, spirithorse, go slopping through a manure, mud invested pasture to pull a starved horse out of the muck rather than go after those who show?"

I have done my share and more, and I don't need to explain.
    Abuse is not just starvation, bad feet, lack of water,...abuse can be the imposition of physical constraints and restraints of the horses' muscle systems without mending the problem we impose.
    Abuse can be confining the horse to a 12 x 12 stall for 20 to 21 hours a day because that is all the space we can provide...it is the equivilant of a jail cell for a human.
    www.hartetoharte.org

[I
    "You did not answer the question:
    and what makes you think this needs to be sequestered in the dressage forum...."

The law appears not to have much enforcement capabilities, though it is fundamentally sound idea. I placed here for educational purposes to inform.

"How about you, spirithorse, go slopping through a manure, mud invested pasture to pull a starved horse out of the muck rather than go after those who show?"

I have done my share and more, and I don't need to explain.
    Abuse is not just starvation, bad feet, lack of water,...abuse can be the imposition of physical constraints and restraints of the horses' muscle systems without mending the problem we impose.
    Abuse can be confining the horse to a 12 x 12 stall for 20 to 21 hours a day because that is all the space we can provide...it is the equivilant of a jail cell for a human.
    Still, spirithorse, you have not clarified why you felt the dressage forum needed to be informed?

If you just wanted to provide the horse community with this information, why not Horse care? Why dressage? It seems you picked the dressage forum in that, and I belive this is farily common knowledge by those who are regulars here, that you have some strong, less than positive, feelings about typical dressage training. Nobody is going to listen when you present such a negative and condesending manner. You claim we all need to share knowledge but your knowledge seems to be quite one sided and based upon your own dressage ideology ( for lack of a better word)

It is generally better to get people to see things your way if you are pleasant and interesting. Not bitter, and rude.

Also since you state that you practice myotherapy on equines, it is easy to see why you feel that these 'physical constraints and restraints of the horses' muscle systems' are of interest to you. But it think calling such things abusive is a stretch. If fact, most show people I know have their horses massaged regularly.

Talking

I suspect that's what his Mum's uterus did when tasked with delivering his fat head.

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.