The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dress Boot Recommendations!

I apologize in advance for yet another dress boot thread! But I am a convert to dressage from H/J land and know nothing about dress boots! I have been showing dressage for the last few years in my Ariat Crownes, but now that my boy and I are successfully moving up the levels, I think its time to invest in a pair of dress boots.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I would like to keep the price under $500 and I DO NOT like super stiff. I am pretty typical in the size department, so fitting shouldn't be a problem. Also, I am not opposed to buying from overseas. I have looked a little and it seems like the prices are better there. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HCF View Post
    I am pretty typical in the size department, so fitting shouldn't be a problem.
    I am VERY jealous.

Child's feet, adult's calves

The folks at my barn who have them absolutely ADORE their Mountain Horse boots. Everyone with a pair says they are the most comfortable boots they've ever owned. They're not a fancy name, but apparently are decent quality.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I like my Petries, but I know that they will be over your price limit.
    Ariat has nice looking dress boots (Maestro?) that are not very stiff. Maybe check those out?

San Francisco

Love my Mountain Horse. comfortable the first time I wore them.
    They are coming out with the Firenze in July. A bit less expensive (~$200)
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I do like my Mountain Horse Classic Dress boots. I got them on sale for around $150 but I can't seem to find them under $200 anywhere. The first time I wore them and rode in them, they felt broken in.
    "The Horse: Friendship without envy, beauty without vanity, nobility without conceit, a willing partner, yet no slave."

Washington State

I love my Dehners. Good quality leather, lined, not overly stiff. However, you would have to find a very good deal to keep them under $500. I think they start at about $550. I did find a very good deal after a tack swap and got them for $125. Needed new boots and wasn't really looking because I couldn't afford them. I couldn't pass up this deal.

Seacoast, NH

Default Love Mtn Horse

I love the MH dress boots. In addition, the company has great customer service. An older pair had a faulty elastic gusset, and MH replaced them for me with no hassle. I now have new Mountain Horse Dress boots, they look great, and are super comfortable.

I love finding something that works!! Good luck boot shopping!
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.” ~Pam Brown