The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin-off from Thinline pad thread, good for riders but...

What about the horse? I did not read anyone mentioning how awesome it is for the horses or how the results are fab. for the horses back.

What type of pad can you use on a horse with a custom fit saddle but the horse still gets saddle bumps occasionally?

Thus far sheepskin full fitted pad seems to work but is there anything else to try? Buying numerous fitted sheepskins is getting expensive! Thinline? Nay or Yeah for the HORSE?

What would you use if you were faced with this?

I would contact my saddle rep first to see why the custom saddle was causing saddle bumps.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

I actually mentioned in that thread how great it is for my horse (the ThinLine saddle fitter sheepskin + regular and ultra thinline inserts). I bought one for my young TB and riding in it was like night and day. It was amazing. He gave me his best work ever in that pad, and he's been great ever since. I was amazed at the improvement with just a single pad change.

I would DEFINITELY contact a rep if your custom is creating problems... that doesn't sound normal at ALL.
    On the other hand, I have both a Thinline and a Supracor... and the new mare like the Supracor much better...
    The saddle fits- I just use the pads for extra "cushion"... and mine doesn't really care for the Thinline....
    But my friend (who has a custom that fits as well) swears by the Thinline... I think it's a horse preference thing to be honest!!!
    No one size or model fits all...
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

I took Mare to a show. She went from never saying no one weekend to getting excused on Wednesday. She was backsore. I got a ThinLine pad to use the rest of the show. She was absolutely happier and 100% willing again. We now use the TL pads every single ride, and she hasn't been sore since, and that's been 2 years. I'm sold.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

not sure if this would help
    but first call your fitter agree totally with OP's about that.

Horseware makes this pad thats really cool that i use just for some 'cush'
    it has an automatic air intake valve, and basically you open the valve
    tack up, ( put pad between saddle and a baby pad or something-- i will not entertain you with that story today.. lol..)

tighten girth before you get on, close valve, get on horse, air redistributes to
    places where the fit might not be dead on. So if you horse is hollow around the withers, it will fill in the gap. i use it for teh cush and because i ride several different types of horses all with different backs and my 'money tree' died durring our drought =) and said horses are not all getting there own nice saddle until they go on to there final destinations when sold =)

just a thought.