The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle suggestion for short, curved, but laterally flat back

So pony (14h) has a wide shoulder (saddle fitter said she fits the extra wide wintec plate) and would need a wide/x wide depending on brand, has a short back, is somewhat flat laterally, but longitudinally is curved and must have a saddle with short tree points. Saddle fitter first recommended wintec, bates, presitge, or county. Bates, prestige and county are out of my price range new (and some used) and I have yet to find a used one in wide or extra wide anyway. I had considered a wintec or collegiate diploma, but if the collegiates are the same design as wintec now (especially the new ones)---they will not work. The panels are too flat for her curves.

This particular pony is 23 and if she shows again it will most likely be in a dressage ring, so I'm not looking to spend a lot and I don't really care if it is synthetic (I would prefer leather, but for hacking at home mostly synthetic is fine). My other large is shaped similarly, but is a little narrower in the shoulder and has a slightly longer back, but is also curved.

My SF said I would need to rider her in the smallest saddle I feel comfortable in, I typically ride in a 16.5" but can fit a 16. I'm 5'1 and about 112lbs, but am a little long from hip to knee.

I will try to take some confirmation shots tonight. Has anyone tried the Thorowood Pony Club saddle? By description it is designed to fit short backed ponies and is completely adjustable--gullet plates, adj billets, and is wool flocked. I haven't been able to find one online stateside.

Just looking for suggestions.....this pony was much easier to fit in her prime!

bump*

After DD outgrew the wide gullet Bates we had, I ended up with a 16.5" Barnsby Milton for the fat pony. Absolutely love it! Total dream to ride in.

It's not usually difficult to find an older Prestige dressage saddle for several hundred below $1000, if that fits your price range. Prestige and County were the first saddles I thought of, because I have a laterally flatter, short-backed WB gelding, and those 2 saddles in particular fit him very well. County models do have some variety - my boy can fit well into the Stabilizers in the CC world but would not fit well in a dressage County Warmblood - it's a bit too curvy. However, it also has shorter tree points which you might find a better match than a Prestige, if that is indeed a requirement. A broad shoulder doesn't necessarily require shorter points though - it's largely about the angle, both outward and rearward.

IME, the short backs, even if they are flatter longitudinally, require a bit of an upsweep in the rear panels to stay out of the way of the loin. For that reason, I find the Collegiate types not a good match - no sweep. But, "short" is relative, so they're certainly something you can try, because it's also a factor of how big the saddle is. A 16" (doesn't sound like a fit for you if you have long thighs) in a flatter saddle could easily fit a short-backed horse, where a 17" would require upswept panels. For example

id look for a used black country, they have all sorts of saddle fits beyond
    the standard wide mw etc... they make trees for the 'unique' horses out there. it might be more than you want to spend though.
    Doesnt pessoa make a pony saddle called teh 'halflinger' because its built for those 'picnic table' back type ponies?. It might be worth looking for one of those, i think they run like 800 new.. you might be able to find a used one at a good price on ebay or something.

Yes, I forgot to talk about the width. If a horse needs the XW gullet, then you're looking at about the equivalent of a 36cm Prestige. There are NOT a lot of off-rack saddles whose "wide" is that wide. At best they are typically about the equivalent of about a 34cm Prestige. County, Black Country (fantastic saddle for a lot lower price), Prestige are all saddles that some a LOT wider than 36cm.

You also need to evaluate the shape of the horse's shoulder area. If it's closer to an upside down U shape, as opposed to a A frame, then these 3 saddles are especially good for this shape. The Black Country goes even further by offering a hoop tree which is more U-shaped than the other 2.

I didn't get a chance to take shots this am, so I'll try this evening. A friend in the barn has a prestige dressage saddle and the panels sat a lot better on both their backs than the wintec, despite also being too small a tree and the saddle too long. The older mare is definitely more U shape at the moment, she is "out of shape" so she is a little thicker than what she will be in shape--this mare went in medium/medium wides in her younger, ridden hard 6 days a week years.

As for the short tree points....that's just what the SF said for her.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyjumper4 View Post
    I didn't get a chance to take shots this am, so I'll try this evening. A friend in the barn has a prestige dressage saddle and the panels sat a lot better on both their backs than the wintec, despite also being too small a tree and the saddle too long.
    Wintec and Prestige have fairly differently shaped saddles, so it's not surprising you saw a different fit

The older mare is definitely more U shape at the moment, she is "out of shape" so she is a little thicker than what she will be in shape--this mare went in medium/medium wides in her younger, ridden hard 6 days a week years.
    The biggest thing to fit will be the shoulders (in the front area). If there are wither dips due to lack of muscle, you can *easily* shim them until muscle is built, and reducing/eliminating them as muscle grows. I just would not go down the path of the trapezius panels (built-in "shims") unless the horse is of an age, or conformation, that there will be hollows, relative to the shoulders, that will never fill in.

As for the short tree points....that's just what the SF said for her.
    Remember though, there is more to the points than the length. There is the lateral angle and there is the longitudinal angle. Longer points that are angled back can have the same effect as shorter points angled straight down - staying out of the way of the shoulders Just more points to think about LOL

have a look around for wide/#4 county pro-fit, tad coffin crosby equilibriums in wide, and keep your eyes peeled for a dominus in a W tree.

All of those saddles are short pointed, fit very generously for a wide tree, fit curvy backs that are flat side to side quite well, and can all be found on ebay from time to time under $700 (sometimes well under). My morgan is appx a 36-37cm prestige tree and all the saddles I mentioned do a decent job of fitting him.

short points make fitting easier because there is less length to the angle to have to deal with. The shorter the point, the less it impacts by default. But JB pointed out, the angle has to match within reason, and different angles have different effects. Just fyi incase anyone is reading this thinking short points are the answer to saddle fitting woes, short points come with a drawback: less stability in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyjumper4 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Thorowood Pony Club saddle? By description it is designed to fit short backed ponies and is completely adjustable--gullet plates, adj billets, and is wool flocked. I haven't been able to find one online stateside.
    I love thorowgood saddles, and lucked out with a LOVELY L4. Thorowgood does do wide very well, but they are flat flat flat front to back (side to side too). They're designed with the UK Cob in mind who is a table top, not curvy. That being said, when you change the gullet out, on the newer models the entire panel lifts open and can be shimmed to fit, I intend to shim my L4 to fit my curvy back'd morgan.

love thorowgoods though, great saddles for the $$
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

Here are a few shots of the main pony I'm trying to fit right now. My other large has a similar build, but is narrower in the shoulder and wither, but still at least a wide.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1259062855

I heard back from the Thorowgood folks and they said the pony saddle is new so is not in the states yet and is just a smaller version of the cob and would probably not fit my ponies. They recommended I look at the endurance saddle for a curved back.