The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oh surprised to see this 2010 thread re-surrected.
    Thank you Chris, for bringing the trial to our attention here, hope this may help some COTH-er.
    Unfortunately, eventhough I would be interested, my horse does not respond to acupuncture favorably anymore and arthritis doesn't appear to be the source of his problem

Yes Poney baloney, the question was/is for my grey.
    Sad to report years of mystery have recently given us an idea of what may have been brewing all those years, yet no diagnostic managed to reveal the source of his issues.
    He looks to have DSLD, became outwardly obvious the last 4 months when the fetlocks dropped every so quick and degeneration visible on ultrasound (degeneration was not visible 3 years ago but the pain likely was there already).
    For those who have followed his story in the past, we kept addressing SI, stifle, lumbar, myopathy, some on here thought he was neurological, but it likely was the suspensories all along, the rest was secondary.

He's being overdosed on Banamine , but it doesn't keep him comfortable enough.
    As a last ditch effort, he has been having a few weekly acupuncture sessions with electro-stim, along with osteopathy and cold laser in the hopes to lower the NSAID dosage, but it's not giving him any additional relief.

He will be euthanized before winter, possible even sooner. .

Aw gee. I'm sorry to hear that. You've probably checked it out already, but here's a link to Dr. Kellon's DSLD site: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DSLD-equine/

They've had some success with two particular herbs/sups (can't remember what they are). Tons of information there. It can be diagnosed with a biopsy from the poll area I think, but it sounds as if you know it's DSLD already.

You've done just about everything possible for this guy.