The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Veredus Guarnieri Riding Boot

Was just flipping through the Dover online catalog and saw these - Veredus Guarnieri Riding Boot. Has anyone tried these yet?

http://www.doversaddlery.com/veredus...38891/cn/4953/

Since I'm of the XXL calf clan, I was wondering about the degree of adjustability (I'm totally ignoring the unconventional look of them...)

Haven't tried them, but for $1200 you can get a very high quality, conventional looking, custom boot.

I think these boots are pushing the envelope. Maybe for the jumper ring, but you would never see these in the hunter ring. For that price, I'd go with customs. They will always be in style and a good pair will last you a LONG time if cared for. These boots look like they will be out of style in a few years. They kind of remind me of the Tretorn and Nike boots that came out a couple of years ago.
    Five Star Tack

Waaay too expensive.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

You know what else is really odd and very expensive??
    .. the GPA helmets! Oh wait.. they are seen in every ring!
    Todd Minikus had pair on at Devon when he won the $50,000 Idle Dice Classic. They are a lot less obtrusive than you would imagine and nothing like the Tretorn things. They are a neat new technical development in riding apparel. When I was a teenager zippers in boots were an absolute stigma; a sign of some kind of special fit issues. Yet today they are the standard. I also remember that there was a time when black field boots were the brand new thing and kind of "edgy"! Custom boots themselves are totally different and and sometimes way less "traditional " than they were 30 years.
    Veredus makes quality products. If something is well made and works let's maybe give it a chance.

I must say, the horse world never ceases to surprise me. I never thought those ugly, strange, mushroom head-looking helmets (GPA) would catch on. I mean seriously, what in the world were those designers thinking anyway? They look nothing like the traditional velvet hunt caps and cost a ton!

I can at least see a use for the adjustable calf. If one calf bigger than the other, you're injured and one leg swells, bloating, wanting to really ratchet the thing tight for support...

It will be interesting to see the future of these boots.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Land of the Maple Leaf & Tim Horton's Coffee

Talking Strange, but true...

Totally agree with SportsFan46. Dress boots were black, field boots were brown - only - and 3 people pulling your boots off - like The Three Stooges - at the end of the day was the norm. Never mind that when the next gen of helmets came out, you could only show in Classic Black Velvet with elastic chin strap. Helmets with "harness" were for schooling only. I could go on... but yes, things have changed, and on a technical level, improved.

These Veredus riding boots are a huge hit in Europe -

http://www.yourhorse.co.uk/Your-Hors...Veredus-boots/

and designed for the 21st century. Veredus makes fantastic horse boots - their new riding boot is simply amazing.

http://www.veredus.it/index.php?lang...idprodotto=115

You can click on the Leaflet image for detailed info.
    *** Heads up for the Violin music when the page loads. ***

and yes, I'm getting a pair. I'm fed up with my custom boots which fit perfectly on a *perfect day* - but heat, humidity, weight fluctuations, and they strangle my calves, if I can get them on and/or do them up at all. My lovely custom Vogels are completely unusable since starting on meds, and sit in the closet. *sigh* And I've been bootless since I hate cheap boots and don't know when and where my calf size is going to settle. With these fully adjustable new boots, my fluctuating calf size will no longer be an issue... plus it has some really useful features - like a simple click to loosen them for walking, and super grip on the inside of the boot where it contacts with the saddle. Bonus, for a re-rider like me.

I've been looking at them for months now and seeing them offered by Dover, has convinced me to pull the trigger. Guess I'll be the first on my block...

fyi - AmeriEqui also has them for a super price. http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/...der_Boots.html

I'll be happy to post how I like 'em when I've tried them out!
    “Your appearance should reflect the care you take in every aspect of your horsemanship... feeding, grooming... everything you do, from the barn to the show ring. Class, people, class…" George Morris

Too bad they don't come in different HEIGHTS which is something boot manufacturers STILL haven't seemed to get a grip on.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    Too bad they don't come in different HEIGHTS which is something boot manufacturers STILL haven't seemed to get a grip on.
    yes, they do. Standard, and Tall.
    “Your appearance should reflect the care you take in every aspect of your horsemanship... feeding, grooming... everything you do, from the barn to the show ring. Class, people, class…" George Morris

oh yikes! I'd go with customs if I were you.

Even if these boots were free I wouldn't wear them!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

1 members found this post helpful.

I think their hideous, but to each it's own. They are extremely short though...extremely (even the tall). Why is that?

Wink seriously *fugly*

Quote Originally Posted by alteringwego View Post
    oh yikes! I'd go with customs if I were you.
    Even if these boots were free I wouldn't wear them!
    *exactly* my reaction when I first saw GPA helmets.
    the Speed Air model was particularly horrific.

... and I explained why I can't buy "customs" again, and again, and again. After growing out of 3 pairs of fully custom Vogels, it's just not practical.
    Last edited by TrueGrit; Jun. 7, 2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added info again

I had a pair on - they are ridiculously comfortable. I liked them because I can wear any breeches with them - lightweight tights, heavy winter breeches - and not worry about whether I will be able to zip.

Regarding the height - my zipper boots are semi custom height (20" on a size 7 foot) and the Veredus Talls were fine on me because of the spanish top. I would think that they are not going to drop much, if at all, with that fastening system. Which is probably why the talls aren't really, really tall.

I think they're strange looking... almost like half chaps and paddocks put together. Although, they probably are comfortable. Still, they are way to short, even the 'tall' and what's up with that silly picture of two spurs on one boot? Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndNirina View Post
    I think they're strange looking... almost like half chaps and paddocks put together. Although, they probably are comfortable. Still, they are way to short, even the 'tall' and what's up with that silly picture of two spurs on one boot? Yikes.
    If you look close, that just shows that you can put the spur in 2 different locations.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Regarding the two spurs--right NEXT to the picture it explains there are two different placings on the boot for an ADJUSTABLE spur block--so you can put it where you want it. Yeesh. Obviously because the picture shows two spurs on the same boot that is how they are advocating you ride with it. All the better to go zooming around with a medieval torture device on your foot.

I love the boots but I'm not sure if they'll be allowed other than in the Jumper Division. Also, what is Standard Height and what is Extra Height? It doesn't mention the height at all when you go to purchase. Just Standard and Extra.
    Last edited by horsejudge27; Jun. 8, 2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Needed to add more text.
    I don't want to have to do anything I have to do PERFECT the first time!

I'm all for advances in technology - tack, clothing, fabrics, etc. But I am also a traditionalist. I LIKE a traditional looking hunt coat, but in hight tech. fabric. I LIKE moisture wicking shirts, but cut like a traditional ratcatcher. I love FITS breeches, but they look traditional if you glance at a rider in them.

I am still all about traditional boots. I have a pair of custom Dehners. Wouldn't trade them for the world. These new, funky high tech boots are ok to school in, but I wouldn't want to show in them. But that's my opinion.

Besides, I would use $1200 in a much better way, IMHO. (Custom boots)

Lightbulb Check Size Chart for Info

Quote Originally Posted by horsejudge27 View Post
    ... Also, what is Standard Height and what is Extra Height? It doesn't mention the height at all when you go to purchase. Just Standard and Extra.
    On the Dover site, if you click on the Size Chart, located above the price in red, you'll get a pop-up with the size conversions and heights.

btw - I emailed the company asking about the amount of "drop" expected with these boots, since normal boots tend to drop up to 2", but these may not have much drop due to the design. Dunno. I shall post the response.

llyle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    I must say, the horse world never ceases to surprise me. I never thought those ugly, strange, mushroom head-looking helmets (GPA) would catch on. I mean seriously, what in the world were those designers thinking anyway? They look nothing like the traditional velvet hunt caps and cost a ton!

I can at least see a use for the adjustable calf. If one calf bigger than the other, you're injured and one leg swells, bloating, wanting to really ratchet the thing tight for support...

It will be interesting to see the future of these boots.
    Oh I think that is an excellent point. I had a fall last september and my calf slammed into the jump post. My calf swelled up horribly, and two months later at a show, even though most of the pain was gone, there was still some swelling and I had trouble getting into my boots. As horse people, we're all going to fall or injure ourselves. Also, depending on what you're wearing that day, the boot would fit differently. In the winter when you wear thicker socks you can loosen it up!

Plus the inside grip is genius (but I wonder if that would be legal in the hunter ring?). I hate wearing my boots just because I feel like I can't grip. I know everyone says 'well wear them in!' blah blah, but no matter how long I "wear them in" there is still always that slip. I feel like the inside grip would add an element of safety and control to the sport. And even if its not considered traditional, its an element I think traditional boots could easily implement, too, without loosing their traditional look.