The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What camera do you use?

I remember a thread on this awhile back, but can't find it...

What camera do you use to snap photos of your foals (and others?). We do bring in a photographer once a year, but want to catch the stages in between. Looking for something that will produce good photos for both stills and motion. My current camera is terrible if the little guys move even a little! Would like to stay under $500 if possible. Any suggestions?

I would go to the store and ask, I have one of those big expensive Canon Rebels and to me it was well worth the $1000. I also have a small point and shoot which works okay, but it is never good enough for action shots.
    Oakwood Farm
    Home to Rowntree Welsh & Half Welsh Hunter Ponies!
    Bloodlines includes Llanarth Senator, Rosedale Top Cat, Telynau Elgar & more!

I started with a Canon 20D that I bought used on Ebay. What a fabulous camera, and worth every cent. My husband bought me a big lens for it the first Christmas I had it, and I have gotten TONS of use out of it. It was "outdated" when I bought it, as the 40D had just come out, but I couldn't afford the 30D or the 40D at the time.

Last Christmas my parents graciously upgraded my camera to a Canon 50D, and I am really enjoying it.

If I was camera shopping, I'd look on Ebay and look for a used Canon 20D or 30D.

You're eventually going to want the $500 lens that goes with it, so keep that in mind. I can't even begin to tell you how much money I've saved in pro fees, not to mention the fact that I can now take tons of pictures of ponies, babies and sale ponies and update my web site VERY frequently this way. Totally worth it. It's paid for itself a hundred times already.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I love my Sony Alpha DSLR-A700! Really need the burst of 5 or more per second to get the special moment during horse movement, jumping, etc. 3 per second was TOO slow and missed that "moment" often. New coming out soon with 7 per second burst mode.
    Robin Quasebarth
    On Q Hanoverians
    Webmaster/Photographer
    http://www.onQHanoverians.com/testsite

I have a Nikon D40. Comes with some lens packages that are decently low in price. I bought the 18-200mm lens but it added a huge increase in price.

You can see my pictures here: http://photosbychristolar.shutterfly.com/

I take pictures for many of my webpage clients and other horsey friends. The D40 is supposed to handle light better than the new versions. If you want to read some info about choosing a camera look here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/

Kathryn Southard really was a great resource for me when I was selecting my camera. I am super happy but of course dream of bigger/better lenses.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

NIKON D40 or better. Otherwise, I am afraid you will be afraid of the lack of qaulity and the fact that you cannot catch just the right moment because your anything less than the D40 will have a delay.

I have a Panasonic FZ28 that takes great pictures. The current model is the FZ35 - the biggest difference is some minor feature upgrades... it takes great high speed 'burst' photos (10 shots/second), takes *great* HD video (see examples in a challengingly-lit covered arena here and performs brilliantly outside. There's a nice review on DP Forums and it's priced at $322 on amazon. I have a ton of horse and people photos if you want to poke around on my flickr
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)

We have a Nikon 200D. It was a Christmas present we gave to ourselves, and I love it. It is so good with stopping the action that even the little dirt clods kicked up by moving horses are captured in focus.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Default Ooooh NONE

So I borrowed my brother's digital cannon SLR to take pictures of the new baby and there was no memory card. I bought one (spendy little buggers) since he couldn't find his. I inserted it. Didn't work--error message.

Long story short, one of the many little wires inside the camera (where you insert the memory card) bent and then broke and it is $250 (plus shipping twice) to fix!

Now the question is...was it broke when I borrowed it or did I break it?

Anyway, I really wish I would have bought my own since I'm fixing my brother's for a ridiculous amount. I like the Cannons though (I've used it before). I also like/need a lense with motion control as I am a rather shakey photographer. Just don't bend any wires. Maybe one of the other kinds can be serviced cheaper?

My dad has had the upper end (consumer not pro) SLR Cannons and Nikons and likes them both. I think his newest is a Cannon again (he seems to rotate).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I need a camera that is easy and fool proof because I am all thumbs and I hate reading the manual. We have used the Canon Eos Rebel… it was fine, and I took most of the photos of the horses on our website with it, except for the professional ones of Commander in Portugal jumping http://logresfarm.com/Commander.htm )... but now I have a Nikon D500 which I love. I took the photos on this thread with the Nikon http://www.dogshownewsnetwork.com/fo...ead.php?t=1274 as well as many of the photos of the dogs on our website.

I also recommend the Nikon D40 or better. The Nikons are amazing. I have a D40x (which I personally prefer to the D60) and use a telephoto lens when shooting the horses.

I've just posted a couple of new albums of photos I took today with my Canon 20D. It just happened to have the 70-300mm lens on it, so that ended up being the one I grabbed.

You should be able to see the albums of new foals here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Family...s/117801410870

I really love the camera. It's way smarter than me, so I usually shoot on the "dummy setting" or on the sports setting, which is 5 frames per second. Even like that, I still get great shots.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Canon Eos Digital XTi for me and I love it. The camera is one thing though...Quite frankly the optical quality of the lenses you use matters as much or more as the camera body. And for most foal shots, you'll need a telephoto lens. And it has to be fast enough to give high quality for stills or action in varying light. Mine is a Canon 70-200mm zoom lens with image stabilizer, and this lens gives me more choices than a single focal length lens. The 70-200 range is very versatile. Bigger, better, faster and stable costs exponentially more dollars as you go up the lens chain, but the photo quality can only be as good the lens. I don't think you can consistently get good foal shots without a telephoto lens, IMO, and having zoom capability sure helps. Nikon and Canon have long held top spots in camera technology, and Canon is particularly noted for the optical quality of their lenses. On my web site under "News" there is a Facebook Fan Box that has a number of albums with photos I've taken using this camera and my zoom lens.

I think you can't go wrong with a Canon or a Nikon. I have a Rebel Xsi. My sister has a Nikon. Both take great action shots. Have to say, I save a pretty penny taking some of my own photos. Definitely worth saving up for a camera with burst capability and really good lenses.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Canon 50D with the 70-200 mm lens. You need to learn to shoot without the "Auto mode" to get your best shots, but the practice will pay off. Super lens/camera combination.

Nikon D60. I got it on sale for less than $500. I really need to upgrade to a telefoto lens, but I love the camera!

Are you looking for print quality for framing, or internet/email, possibly flier/casual ad quality?

Honestly the D40 and some the "older" models provide plenty of resolution for up to 20x30 prints. Not sure how many people really print large posters for their walls anyway. Most of the time the extreme megapixel is actually overkill and will just take up too much room on your hard drive.

The 18-200 mm lens for the Nikon is amazingly versatile.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

I think the idea of getting reburbished camera might be an idea. Cheaper than new. More bang for less than retail buck.

Personally, I have a D90. It is quite nice, and I can also record video on it (nice feature). I noticed that prices have come down since I purchased mine in 2008. My boyfriend has the most amazing camera! It's the D700. He has some sort of super long lens and takes the most amazing pictures. He recommends going to Nikon school to learn all the nuances of using cameras.

Another vote for the Nikon D-40. Easy to use even for a non-pro. I love ours.