The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Walmart runs before a show!

Has anyone ever had to stop at some non-horsey stores before a show??? ever wondering how funny we look when we are dressed up but have some pants over our show pants?

I was at walmart this morning, not on my way to a show, just picking up a few things, but saw someone else, WP rider all dressed up, real pretty shirt red and tan, glittery, with plaid pajama pants over her show pants. It was really funny and brought back memories of how funny I would look with my breeches and tall boots on, and my show shirt, with sweat pants over it.

I wonder what people think of us??

Just thought it was funny!

No worries. Check this out!

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

tobias,
    i think it's fun! let 'em look!

ironically, I said "nice boots" to a gal one day walking into our walmart. (i was not in show gear but did have my Crosswinds jacket on with a huge horsehead on the back...) She made a funny face at me and said "they're for R_I_D_I_N_G, u know, like a horse?"

I smiled and said something like, "yes, they're a really nice looking pair of field dress boots, and they look really comfortable. how long have you been riding in them?"

She looked at me funnier still and walked away. Proof that even in the equine community, sometimes, people are strange!
    AnnMarie Cross, Pres, Crosswinds Equine Rescue, cwer.org
    Sidell IL (near Champ./UofI/Danville IL/IN state border)

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

OMG, *completely*.

Because they are the only thing open at 0600.

I'm so afraid I'll end up on that website some time...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

My goal in life is to never end up on the People of Walmart website...
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I don't show much, but I often stop there after riding, and I get a lot of funny looks as I walk around in my breeches and rugby striped knee socks (they're the perfect tall boot socks). I'll probably end up on people of walmart one of these days, but at least the english riders won't think its weird.

I doubt we look as weird as "The Bride of Walmart" we saw on our trip to Rolex last year.....

The worst is the breeches and tall socks, but when you've taken your boots off so you're wearing shoes.... definite funny looks at midnight or 1am when I'm finally done riding the last horse of the day. It can't be helped that they are the only place open 24/7...

I hide from cameras. I refuse to be found on that website!
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Not riding clothes, but I went through the grocery store in full taekwondo attire one day after teaching...I did get some strange looks, but very hidden...you don't mess with a Black Belt, you know!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I've gotten lots of looks going home from (or to) a show in my pink striped show shirt, plaid flannel shirt, lime green Zocks, breeches, and crossword puzzle printed Converse. Fortunately not to Walmart so I can't end up on the website.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

I hate Walmart, but there is a Target on the way home from the barn... so I do stop there frequently in breeches and half chaps. I keep the half chaps on because I get fewer weird looks if I have them than if I'm just wearing breeches and paddock boots...

Before shows I always go to Starbucks--it's my weird little ritual; but for shows I wear my breeches with a pair of sweatpants over them to keep them clean, and my terrain paddock boots, along with a tank top, so I just look scummy rather than horsey. d; I did go into Starbucks once in my Middleburg winter boots and had a yuppie woman ask me where she could get a pair.

If I can send my daughter out as a rider for Halloween & nobody can guess what she is...I do not worry what Walmart workers or what strangers think!
    Last edited by cajunbelle; Jun. 6, 2010 at 10:14 PM.

I went to Aldi one time on the way home. In the hood. Wearing show shirt, breeches, boots, sweat & helmet hair. You want to talk about strange looks!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I always seem to end up doing errands after my lessons (boyfriend calls, DESPERATELY NEEDS ITEM X, etc) and I always manage to get myself *disgusting* while I'm at the barn. There are times I've stopped at rather nice stores wearing my sweaty, water-stained polo, grey-hair-covered britches, and dirty half chaps and paddock boots - oh, and gross helmet hair. I get a lot of funny looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Not riding clothes, but I went through the grocery store in full taekwondo attire one day after teaching...I did get some strange looks, but very hidden...you don't mess with a Black Belt, you know!
    Thats Hilarious! I would hide too!

Great stories. I do not want to end up on Walmarts website! Here in our area its pretty horsey, but there are some people who are clueless!

I always wear my half chaps too if Im in breeches, Fewer weird looks!

Quote Originally Posted by Crosswinds Rescue View Post
    tobias,
    i think it's fun! let 'em look!

ironically, I said "nice boots" to a gal one day walking into our walmart. (i was not in show gear but did have my Crosswinds jacket on with a huge horsehead on the back...) She made a funny face at me and said "they're for R_I_D_I_N_G, u know, like a horse?"

I smiled and said something like, "yes, they're a really nice looking pair of field dress boots, and they look really comfortable. how long have you been riding in them?"

She looked at me funnier still and walked away. Proof that even in the equine community, sometimes, people are strange!
    Ha, that reminds me of an awkward encounter I had last week...it was like 9 PM and I was stopping in Walmart after a very very long day, and I was wearing jeans and a polo and my Ariat Terrains. The woman behind me said, "Nice boots!" and I awkwardly mumbled something about them being for riding, because while I love them they're not the most stylish things, before noticing that she was wearing the same boots. At the same time the cashier was handing me my change so I mumbled something else (seriously I had been shoeing horses since 7 that morning, I was very tired) and making a hasty retreat. She probably thought I was nuts or an idiot or both.

As far as the tall socks go when you're not wearing your boots, that's what Zocks are for. I love those wild patterns and wear them with pride. Of course the other side of that is that my usual tall schooling boots (my super comfy but not so tall old Mountain Horse ones) are slightly shorter than my Zocks so if I'm not careful I get a funky border at the top.

I'd not be surprised if I wound up on that People of Walmart website. Between the breeches and Zocks, or the time I was deathly ill with food poisoning but the urgent care doc made me feel better and I had to go in my winter pajamas to pick up a prescription (I was too weak to dress before the SO drove me to urgent care, but he wouldn't go in to pick up the prescription by himself can we say turquoise flannel with hearts? they were a gift that turned out to be so so comfortable!), or the medieval reenactment costumes, it's a wonder I'm not on there already. I can only thank the fact that I live in a small town and there are a lot of slobs in it.

people are clueless and i would not care because they have no idea what you do screw what they think they just wish they were in your shoes and they are so out of shape i can not put into words what animals give to human life all they know is money cars friends hollywood people computers stocks real estate whatever blah, blah, blah,htey meed to do animal labor and see if they change their mines

I typically hit the grocery store on the way home from the barn on Sunday. If I have ridden, it's boots and breeches and a nasty shirt. If not, it's barn boots with nasty shorts and shirt and sweaty baseball cap. Lucky for me, have been shopping there for years, most of the cashiers ask me how was the barn today! Did have one guy ask me once (breeches and tennis shoes) if I played soccer!

Best question ever at Wal Mart recently (the boots and breeches get up) - are you a dressage rider or a jump rider?
    And nothing bad happened!

LOve it! I stop at stores frequently either in funky barn clothes or boots and breeches! I don't care what others think! I don't have time to go home and turn around and go back! In our small town the comments are usually more along the lines of "nice day for a ride" than anything else. When my husbund used to milk cows, he would stop at the grocery store on the way home and if you have ever been around cows you KNOW how that clings to you! One time a lady behind him in the check out really gave him a nasty look along with the wrinkled nose and backed up. He turned around and told her he milked cows and where did she think the bottle of milk she had came from?
    It is kind of fun to think all of the HP's who are so concerned with correct attire and fashion, can go around in show shirts and zocks that match with nothing and none of us think a thing about it! :-)

I have friends that, when their wives go on trips to the East, won't go, because they say they get funny looks everyplace they go in their very clean, starched jeans, fancy cowboy boots, elegant western coat and hat.

It seems that there, that get up is a costume.
    Here it is what everyone wears, every place, to the theater, opera and any social functions.

As far as Walmart patrons, you may see every and all kinds of humans there and even some aliens you wonder which planet they came from.