The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best flatting/ dressage boots for horse

Crosspost from Dressage:

Hi All,

I am looking at buying a new pair of dressage boots (i.e. only used for flat work and not for jumping). for a horse that knocks himself occasionally on the inside of his fetlock. And takes out a pretty nice size chunk of fetlock at the time... My nunn finner boots and dover pro sport boots don't block this area. I'm think I just might always just have to use polos, but I would like to be able to get something easier on/ off and more protection.

Do you have any recommendations? I'm looking at the DSB with fleece, the Valena fleece boots, or even the N.E.W. dressage protection boots.

What are your thoughts on these boots or do you have any other recommendations? I need a great boot that stands up to lots of use. I ride 6 days a week and 4 of those are flat/ dressage the rest jumping.

Thanks in advance!!

My trainer uses the Stretch Flex Wraps for dressage, I just use polos. :P

The N.E.W. boots look like they have the same coverage as the ones that you are currently using. However, the DSB with fleece and the Valena boots look to have a greater surface area. As far as fleece goes, I would think that both boots would be difficult to keep clean after every use!

What about something like the Pro Choice SMB boot? They cover like polos do, but will not be as thick/hard as the leather versions you're looking at.

I meant the ankle not the fetlock. I just reread my post and realized the mistake. But I still need any sugestions or thoughts.

Well, the ankle is the fetlock joint.

Are you talking coronet? Heel? Pastern?

You are correct, I apologize again. it has been awhile since i've been in pc.

yes it is the fetlock/ ankle joint. I had it right the first time, but then second guessed myself.

Have you heard of fetlock bands? They sell them at bit of britain, they are bands that go around the fetlock and protect much lower than normal boots would. You just need to be cautious though with a horse that has sensitive skin, sometime the neoprene will irritate them.

What about ankle boots with pastern wraps below them?

SMB boots tend to make the leg get quite warm, which is a problem. The best that boots can do is offer impact protection so choose accordingly!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyrock View Post
    What about something like the Pro Choice SMB boot? They cover like polos do, but will not be as thick/hard as the leather versions you're looking at.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I was going to recommend the Equilibrium Stretch and Flex Wraps too. The flatwork wraps come to the fetlock like regular brushing boots and the training wraps go under the fetlock like SMBs. They are super breathable, and provide a little more protection than a polo, and are much easier to put on. They are also about 4x the price of polos, but would be worth it riding as often as you are with them.

I've been using DSBs on my dressage mare. She really doesn't interfere but I'm just being careful. She is ridden five or six days a week in a sand arena. After each ride I brush any sand off the fleece. It's usually just around the edges. If they are damp when I take them off, I hang them over the blanket bar to dry. Every seven to ten days I throw them in the washing machine with my saddle pads.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Tennis wrist bands work fairly well as pastern bands.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Default Veredus Piaffe Pro/ Veredus dressage boot

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...0&cm_vc=Search

Has anyone tried the Veredus Piaffe pro (also known as Veredus dressage boot)? There are a bit expensive and wanted to know what ya'll experience was with them.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...0&cm_vc=Search

Quote Originally Posted by TXnGA View Post
    Crosspost from Dressage:

Hi All,

I am looking at buying a new pair of dressage boots (i.e. only used for flat work and not for jumping). for a horse that knocks himself occasionally on the inside of his fetlock. And takes out a pretty nice size chunk of fetlock at the time... My nunn finner boots and dover pro sport boots don't block this area. I'm think I just might always just have to use polos, but I would like to be able to get something easier on/ off and more protection.

Do you have any recommendations? I'm looking at the DSB with fleece, the Valena fleece boots, or even the N.E.W. dressage protection boots.

What are your thoughts on these boots or do you have any other recommendations? I need a great boot that stands up to lots of use. I ride 6 days a week and 4 of those are flat/ dressage the rest jumping.

Thanks in advance!!
    no way.
    just get the cheapos. So quick to put on and take off.

(looks like they are revamping their website so you might have to scroll down pretty far to see the item)
    http://76.74.157.141/pc/10359/BRUSHB...ing+Boots.html

coupon code: KABOOM gets you 5 bucks off. So basically free shipping.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Tennis wrist bands work fairly well as pastern bands.
    OMG Peggy, you're brilliant! I never thought of that. I've been using a fetlock doughnut on my guy who keeps nicking his fetlock, but this seems much less obtrusive. (He's a little crooked behind. )
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by FrittSkritt View Post
    OMG Peggy, you're brilliant! I never thought of that. I've been using a fetlock doughnut on my guy who keeps nicking his fetlock, but this seems much less obtrusive. (He's a little crooked behind. )
    Not so much brilliant as desperate. The fetlock ring actually dinged him. The neoprene pastern boots made the area too sweaty and he started to get scratches. I tried to modify one of the wrist bands by cutting it and adding velcro for easy on/off but it stretches too much when on to be compatible with the velcro, if that makes any sense.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I found using a bell boot like this worked pretty well on one I had with this issue: http://www.windgatesaddlery.com/p-34...ell-boots.aspx I would often cut off the bottom part, so there was only one velcro (yes was using on hind legs).

Dover used to have some that were not rubber, but nylon with the fleece lining and those worked even better.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!