The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need to know the farm that starved horses in VA...

This winter there was a thread on starving horses that owned some COTH members horses that they bought...can you please PM me the names of the two gals running the farm and they changed the name of the farm...Thank you in advanced. I've had an inquiry and don't want one to end up in the wrong place...so please PM with info...need the gal's names..I know the old farm name and need a link to the new farm name...Thanks!!!
    Zillionair Cremello JC Thoroughbred & Pure White Gold All White Palomino Dual Thoroughbred & APHA
    http://www.norsire.com
    Live Streaming Foaling Cam
    http://www.cyberfoaling.com/webcams/norsire2

Send an email to Nancy Chase at Ingleside Icelandics. She had a few horses there who were starved.

I'll pm you with details of the people and farms involved with the horrific starvation/neglect of my two mares and death of one of them....The main farm was in Axton, VA. My mares were left to die on a mountainside 40 miles away, without any food.

They have a long sordid history of starving and killing horses, then just replacing them with more free or free lease horses. I would hate for another animal of any kind to end up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by artisticgold View Post
    I'll pm you with details of the people and farms involved with the horrific starvation/neglect of my two mares and death of one of them....The main farm was in Axton, VA. My mares were left to die on a mountainside 40 miles away, without any food.

They have a long sordid history of starving and killing horses, then just replacing them with more free or free lease horses. I would hate for another animal of any kind to end up with them.
    This is tragic!

I have to ask... If you knew of "this long history" why did you put 2 mares in their care? Why did you not report them sooner?
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

Silverballs, if you had seen the earlier thread, it explains that the history was pieced together later.
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

I was contacted about my mares through the Giveaways column here and although I really didn't want them to go so far, I had just broken my back, and after speaking with the person at length, asking for numerous professional references, including vet and farrier, which I contacted and asked very pointed questions, AND having what I thought was an iron-clad contract in place to ensure every detail of my mares' health and safety, I let them go. I had been led to believe it would be a wonderful place with the best of care, lots of love, large rolling pastures, and a foal share agreement where I would still retain one foal every year out of the two. Well, at first everything was ok, I got photo updates, frequent emails, never had a problem reaching them, it was only after my mare foaled that things all changed. First I was told my black sabino Trak mare had passed away, but I knew she was older, and didn't question it too much, they were sooooo smooth at telling the story. When I repeatedly asked for photos of my other mare, and threatened to come get her, I finally got pics and I could see that my mare was emaciated even though they were taken from a distance and from an angle meant to obscure the fact. So, I flew down and got her out of there immediately and then started working with animal control in two counties to shut them down. THEN with my thread on this BB and a few other places about them, I began to be contacted by a lot of people who had been scammed by them too, and had horses starved, and killed while in their care, all of which I documented. I have done everything possible to make people aware of them, and to keep animal control on their toes and watching them to make sure they are feeding the horses they own and others still in their care.

PLEASE don't speculate on this thread who these people are, or name them, if you pm me privately, I will give you this information, so that THIS thread doesn't get shut down by the MODS. thx

If that's what they did then why not just post their names here and ensure everyone knows them for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by arnika View Post
    Silverballs, if you had seen the earlier thread, it explains that the history was pieced together later.
    Sorry for being late to the party! I also think they should be publicly outed!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    Check us out on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    If that's what they did then why not just post their names here and ensure everyone knows them for what they are.
    Because the mods freak out. If there has been an official proceeding of some sort against them that is public record, people can post that info.

Really?!

So 2 women used COTH giveaways to obtain horses and then starved them and the moderators are happy to enable that and not allow anyone to say who they were?!

Unbelievable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Really?!

So 2 women used COTH giveaways to obtain horses and then starved them and the moderators are happy to enable that and not allow anyone to say who they were?!

Unbelievable!!!
    Well, sometimes people might post very damaging comments about someone else that are unfounded. And frankly, if these women are out killing horses I really do wonder why NO ONE has involved the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    Well, sometimes people might post very damaging comments about someone else that are unfounded. And frankly, if these women are out killing horses I really do wonder why NO ONE has involved the authorities.
    How about it?!?!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    Check us out on Facebook

Default in jail?

Why are these gals not polishing bars in a Va. jail somewhere?

My God. This is the first I've heard about the situation... Artistic Gold, I am so so sorry about your mares; my heart goes out to you.

My sympathies and prayers to all others who have been affected by these worthless cowards. May justice be served, and may those bitches burn in hell. A-men.
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    tomorrow i wear tight t-shirt that says peaches across my boobs in big orange letters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Watts View Post
    Yes, the world is a strange place. Have a glass of wine.

These were the babies the farm owner where I board rescued from a Virginia farm about two years ago now http://www.pbase.com/finnskeeper/rescue It was a well known farm, they were oldenburgs out of an approved stallion and out of a mixture of trakhenar and tb mares.

Unfortunately, despite heroic measures, to my knowledge none of the horses has survived to this point. Many made it up to a year or so past the rescue, but ultimately died from the gross intestinal worm damage inflicted prior to rescue as indicated post mortem. This kind of neglect has long term, long reaching effects on the horses. The poor babies, may they rest in peace.

The authorities have investigated their horses in two different counties, and have given the owners a chance to provide adequate food and water, and had them call in a vet to treat a few horses that needed care, which they have done. IF they are found to be in violation again (starving or neglecting the horses AGAIN) THEN they will go to court and be held accountable. Unfortunately, the system in the U.S., and particularly in this very rural area, is lenient and allows the owners to correct the conditions in which the horses are being kept. Believe me, I've tried to get this into court, but they know how to play the system. As long as the animal control officers keep checking on them, they will stay on their toes and provide at least the minimum of food and care needed. Trust me, I'm not happy with it, but this is the way the authorities work....At least I can rest easy knowing that they won't be killing any more horses for a while...

Those photos are so sad. I can't believe people would allow any animal to deteriorate to that sort of condition.
    If you cant care for your animals properly, please don't own any.

Cool what about going national?

Surely there is some politician out there needing a great cause for their upcoming election!
    "Ohhhhh, I pity the fool......."

There's one aspect of this case I find particularly chilling.

We see far too many of these cases where people have too many horses and not enough resources to provide basic care. In many instances (not sure if I can rightly say a "majority") the owners really are incapable of seeing how bad off their animals are. It's a warped mental perspective, common amongst hoarders of any variety. Not excusable, but it is part of the explanation, at least.

This woman was different. She took a stash of pictures of the horses upon their arrival, knowing that the owner who leased her the animals would at some point want an update. Thus she'd have "evidence" the horse was doing well.

This behavior indicates to me that she knew exactly what she was doing when she hit the BBs asking for free leases. That she PLANNED to neglect and starve them. Pre-meditated torture and, essentially, murder? Does she in fact get some sick kick out of watching animals starve to death?

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    There's one aspect of this case I find particularly chilling.

This woman was different. She took a stash of pictures of the horses upon their arrival, knowing that the owner who leased her the animals would at some point want an update. Thus she'd have "evidence" the horse was doing well.

This behavior indicates to me that she knew exactly what she was doing when she hit the BBs asking for free leases. That she PLANNED to neglect and starve them. Pre-meditated torture and, essentially, murder? Does she in fact get some sick kick out of watching animals starve to death?
    Really insightful and I totally agree--- there is something very twisted about this person. Pre-meditated, based on controlling food and deciding they should die.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!