The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Smile Zenyatta

What's she been up to? and future plans on any upcoming races??
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Last I saw, she was checking out her Beyer horse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5zHs...os=SRyjn46k8iA

Some other cool videos there too.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Last I heard, plans are to beat up nothing again in California.

She will be racing in the Vanity Handicap at Hollywood Park next Sunday afternoon.

Honestly, if they want horse of the year they need to get her out of Cal! didn't they learn that already....wish they would send her to NY....would love to see her at the SPA..or maybe even the Arlington million....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

OTOH, nobody is stopping anybody from coming to CA (or Oaklawn) to take her on ...

Actually, to race at Saratoga is amazing, something she has never done...Different tracks and distances not the same races year in and year out..variety is what she lacks...Don't get me wrong, I Love her but I want to see her also..which I cannot do if she stays in Cal...it would be so good for racing..Also a lot of the older horses will be running either at Belmont, Saratoga and Churchill into the fall...Come on, let her show them what she is really made of...I know she can win and I want to see it....

Airlines do fly to California, so if anyone really wants to see her, she's a short plane ride away

what happened to her breeding plans?

A quote from Shirreffs in April:

"For us to ship, it's so much different," Shirreffs said. "We have to ship across the Rockies. It's so much different out here than going up and down the East Coast.

"Why put her on the plane to run in another handicap?" Shirreffs said.
    I really like Shirreffs and respect the Mosses for their cautious management, but this is ridiculous. The Vanity is ridiculous, the statement is ridiculous, on and on. She was assigned 129 for sunday, the same weight she carried in the race last year. Hilarious. She should be carrying one of the other mares to give them a fighting chance at crossing the wire first.

I can't quite sort out what their motivation is in keeping her in CA again. I was under the impression that they kept her in training to get her a HOTY trophy, but the schedule thus far now gives me the impression that they kept her going only to race against RA. When Rachel didn't come back from her break barnstorming, perhaps they reevaluated and decided to get her record past Cigar and Citation before heading out into the wider world, but I don't see much glory in her walking all over fillies and mares who are not in the same stratosphere, talent wise.

Maybe they get her the record and then head east for the summer; that's my hope. This mare deserves a chance to stamp her legacy card emphatically by beating the boys repeatedly this year. One of my greater fears is that she'll keep running in restricted races in CA and get beat on an off day- i'd much, much prefer that a loss would come from older males.

Quite honestly I'm not sure what's out there that could give her a run for her money in either sex; maybe RA if she comes back into form, maybe Quality Road, maybe Blame. The sad thing is- without a banner year from one of those horses, she could keep running in restricted races in CA, go to CD for the Classic and get her HOTY. What a sorry state of affairs.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by iloverocky View Post
    Airlines do fly to California, so if anyone really wants to see her, she's a short plane ride away
    Does the plane ride come with a sex change? Because that's about the only way most older horses can run against her, seeing her connections' total aversion to running in open company.

They don't need to be putting the mare on a plane for every start. The money is decent in CA and the fields are short. Second money is ripe for the picking.
    This mare has been handled with extraordinary care and it has worked and she is still running to the same level of excellence that she has shown from the begginning. That initself is extraordinary!
    The problem with Zenyatta is kind of like the problem with a great many other great horses in history...no one wants to run against them. I get it but I don't. They are running for second money and a black type. Why not run?
    They don't need to ship across the country to run in a short field. They can do that in their own back yard.

She should be carrying one of the other mares to give them a fighting chance at crossing the wire first.
    Or perhaps give them a furlong head start?

We all saw how well they did trying to get RA to meet up with her. Granted, poor Rachel just isn't the super horse this year she was last spring/summer since the others have caught up.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post
    OTOH, nobody is stopping anybody from coming to CA (or Oaklawn) to take her on ...
    Words right out of my mouth!!!
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Maybe just because I am on the East coast that it appears that a lot of the banner racing is in the east or in Chicago maybe. I would love to see her against QR and RA in the same race..shall we say Arlington. If she ships east and stays then it is only one plane ride..
    I would love to see her go to Europe, that would be a BIG jump in Class and skip the BCC...

Epona - Thanks for posting the youtube clips. Trainer John S. is a gem to take his time to give us all these fun videos of the every day Zenyatta.

I agree with those that say Zenyatta's connections have been great taking care of this wonderful mare.

I also agree that seeing Zenyatta, Rachel and Quality Road all in the same race (BCC) would be really fantastic. Here is to hoping Rachel will return to form this year.

While I love me some Saratoga even better than Del Mar (although the weather is better at Del Mar this time of year), if I were so lucky as to have a horse that I thought would beat Z, I'd certainly be willing to go to California.

The media is out there for someone to say, "Hey! Z-peeps! I challenge y'all to a race at your stompin' grounds. X distance. Weight according to scale. Who wants to make it happen?" Throw down the gauntlet if you will .... if you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    I would love to see her against QR and RA in the same race..shall we say Arlington.
    Never happen. RA will never run on "plastic", per her owner.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Rachel will never run against Zenyatta. It would be too embarrassing for Jess's ego.