The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advertising annoyance

25k horse advertised with one picture.

In the picture he is grazing and standing in a bit of a funny position. No bloodlines, no mention of show record, training or what he is best suited for.

So 25k simply for no vices and easy to handle?

Cool

Yeah, those are wonderful. I think those are people simply putting horses out there on the random chance that someone is either too stupid to know the true value or maybe the horse looks exactly like the long lost childhood equine of some wealthy dilettante and they simply must have him...
    Even with young or baby horses, they should offer decent conformation shots, pedigree, inspection scores, etc
    But it is amazing how many ads there are where they talk about how wonderful Sparky is to ride, safe, etc and then there is just a photo of his head, or a far away blurry shot of him grazing.

Yes, I have seen a few outrageously over priced ads and have wondered what makes the person think someone is going to pay that kind of money for a horse that hasn't done anything. There was a recent ad on Dreamhorse for an 8 year old gelding that had never shown in any discipline and had no formal training for anything, no papers, and the seller was asking $15,000 because the horse had the "potential" to do anything the buyer might be interested in. Really? That potential covers a lot of ground!

I have decided that maybe it is a younger owner, a teenager for instance, who is basing the price on some YR horse book where the main horse character looks just like the horse for sale. Isn't every chestnut TB mare worth $35,000 like the mare in "Sweet Running Filly"? Isn't every pinto gaited horse worth a gazillion dollars like the horse in "Harlequin Hullabaloo"? Doesn't every gray horse working on a feedlot have crazy jumper skills like the horse in that movie?
    Sheilah

I think my favorite ad pic is one of the horse running away from the camera with her ears pinned flat back. Not sure if I would buy the mare but I certainly remember the ad!

Sometimes too people are just clueless about making ads. I remember looking over some old ads for a farm I worked for and was absolutely astonished. The prices were a little more than I would put the horse at, but not outrageous and the owner was willing to negotiate down. All the ads had one picture, always of the horse at liberty, usually not very good. The bloodlines were talked about but, while they were good lines, they weren't uncommon. None of the individual horse's accomplishments were mentioned unless they were at a national level.

It just boggled my mind that they thought they could sell horses like that. When I changed the pictures and rewrote the ads to actually talk about what the horse could do, the owner was astonished at all the interest we received.

People selling horses are weird, is all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    I think my favorite ad pic is one of the horse running away from the camera with her ears pinned flat back. Not sure if I would buy the mare but I certainly remember the ad!
    Did it read "Easy to catch, total sweetheart"? Cause that would have been awesome!

Geez, this horse is $150,000 and they don't even HAVE a photo.. this is a site that even has free photo ads!
    http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-287755

The proverbial running away photo with a 9 temperament for $150,000
    http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-267826

A horse with no hind end for $60,000
    http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-272992

Sweet face unregistered horse good for the ferrier for $50,000
    http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-284821

Yeah, they are throwing horses out there like frisbees!!

I am hoping for some of those equinenow ads that there is something funky in ad set up that they type $6000 and it comes up as $60,000.00 instead of as $6,000?
    IMO Most of those prices look more realistic if you drop a zero.

LOL NJRider...you found some funny ads!

I like the No Butt horse ad...states "easy to sit the trot" and the rider in the photo is posting the trot.

And the sweet faced horse has "stokings" and I have to believe the price is a typo for a 2 yr old Arab x Welsh that hasn't done a thing.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I think with those ads, the people tried to put the cents in, and so the price is over by two decimal places.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    I am hoping for some of those equinenow ads that there is something funky in ad set up that they type $6000 and it comes up as $60,000.00 instead of as $6,000?
    IMO Most of those prices look more realistic if you drop a zero.
    More like dropping two zeros! ha ha This is nothing, just a very small sampling. But it is crazy!

Look Ma, Mr No Hind End doesn't need spurs or a "weep" either.

I guess that is sort of self evident, what with not much behind the leg.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible