The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB Mare conformation and pedigree critique, please!

This is my 10 y/o TB mare Sexy Ex, pedigree here:
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

Pics here:
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...9&id=700195484
    or if you can't see those, try here:
    http://s516.photobucket.com/albums/u...rent=R1-8A.jpg
    I wish I had some pics of her trotting, but she's lazy. If I can get some help, I will try and get some movement shots!

I bred her to a TB stallion(here: http://www.louisianabred.com/images/.../Kingkiowa.pdf ) last month for a foal for myself, vet will be checking her at 30 days to see if she is in foal. I'm doubtful that she is since she appeared to be in season around the 20 day mark, and I don't want to try and breed back this year. This is the first time she has been bred, I got her straight off the track as a 4 y/o. If she isn't bred she will just get ridden and go to some Hunter shows. Maybe I will try again next spring...not sure if she would go to a TB again or try with a WB stallion. Feel free to pick her apart! I'd love some input on her conformation and pedigree. Thanks!
    Brandi
    "A horseman or horsewoman must have only one thing (and each in his own way): a passionate, obsessive love for the horse. Nothing more." George H. Morris

First off, I like your mare. When I first saw her I thought "French Deputy has to be in there somewhere", but I was wrong. She is built downhill and her neck is a little short but it's not a disaster. She has a nice body and decent legs. FWIW, I have a mare exactly the same in dark brown who is by FD. After watching 3 of her TB foals grow into monsters from my 15.2 hand mare (all well over 16 hands) which were correct and excellent movers, I bred her to a warmblood and got a stunning filly this year

On to my critical part. You should always have your mare checked for pregnancy at 14-16days after breeding. This is a critical time to see if you have twins on board. You can try and do something about it before it's too late when abortion is the only safe option.

As I see your mare is loose in the pic, just wondering if this is your turnout area? Kind of not the best place for mom and baby. I could be wrong and I am being nit picky but it does seem like this might be your first foal so am trying to give you some helpful advice.

Good luck,
    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I don't know anything about her pedigree, but I took a look at her conformation pics. I really liked her legs. A lot of TBs off the track have very straight hocks. I like how she has a long forearm and a short cannon. She also has a nice saddle position for a TB. She does appears to have a bit of a ewe neck (also is set on low), and no topline or muscle for that matter. You can especially see it in her hind end. Her shoulder is straight. She has a nice saddle position for a TB. I think if she had more muscle, she would look a lot better. Good luck with her!

I like her, and agree with the comments you've already gotten, though I do have one to add... if she's not in foal, and you pick another man for her next year, if it were me, I'd choose something without Mr. Prospector up so close since she's got Mr. P up close as well... of course there are exceptions to every rule, but he's not something I like to see doubled up like that.

Good luck - she's going to be lovely with a bit of muscling from "normal" riding work
    -Jessica

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If you do need to pick a stud again, there is a stallion in Louisiana whose name begins with A who has a lovely sport horse pedigree. His name is Aggadan, and he's by Carnivalay out of a Horatius mare named Georgia K. You can see him here: www.velocityfarms.com.

It appears from their website that he might have died in a barn fire, which would be a very sad loss, both for the farm and for his never to be born foals. But maybe not. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...countess-diana

If he's still in Louisiana, he would be an excellent sport TB choice. Wasn't too bad as a race horse himself.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

As a breeder of high end competition horses using a thoroughbred mare base, I love to see what others are using and other breeders' points of view.

At first glance I really like this mare. She could do with 'letting down' a little and gaining a bit more body condition.

She has a LOVELY body with a super wither, strong loin, and good length of hip with a decent deep girth. This is what makes the saddle position - and in this case it is excellent. Even her tail is set on well!

Her legs are excellent. Especially for a thoroughbred. Nice forearm and the hocks are not too straight. The pasterns are typically a little too long and too sloping. This is commonly the way with Thoroughbreds.

She has an ok head. Not super refined but definitely not an ugly suitcase head either! It is the right size for her shape and physique. It is amazing how many people don't consider the head as that important, but a big clumsy head can ruin an otherwise nice picture and also create the illusion of the horse being front-heavy.

Now for the not-so-good stuff. Her shoulder looks a little straight for my liking. This may mean she has a shortish stride and may not lift her forearm quickly when jumping. She has a 'knife neck' where the top line and underside are dead straight with no arch. Even with muscle and more condition this neck will never have a nice arch. It is also a bit short and very low set meaning it comes straight out of the shoulder and not up. This may make her heavy on the forehand with a tendancy to move 'downhill'.

Would I breed from this mare? No. But she's not dreadful and is not a bad starting place for a beginner breeder.

About the stallion you chose for her... Well firstly I have to agree with AJ08 about not having Mr. Prospector up so close. A Mr P daughter to a Mr P son - it is not good to breed this close!

Secondly, this stallion has a 'nest' where the neck carries on down between the front legs without any noticeable chest! Not nice. The rest of him seems ok - maybe a little long in the body. Nice colour - was this what drew your attention? I don't think this stallion would improve any of the weak points on your mare and may even mess up the good points i.e. her lovely body.

Your next stallion choice should have a faultless front end - big sloping shoulder and higher set neck with a natural arch and decent length. Do not choose a long strung out type but rather a shorter coupled horse that moves very light in front.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input! I like to have an outside eye to point out what good/bad parts my horses have. She is definitely in pasture puff shape, she hasn't been in real work since she was on the track years ago! I really wish I could get some good trot pics, since she does have a lovely trot and a nice smooth canter when she wants to. But she is pretty lazy, so she rarely does more than a walk! I will be hard pressed to get her moving fast enough to get her to jump!

On the pregnancy check...I didn't know any of my local vets had u/s(the vet my friend used to AI her mare doesn't have one so I thought I was out of luck, but I found out after the fact that another did), hence the wait. She came back in season around the 20th day, so I am doubtful she is. If she's open(and maybe even if she isn't), she is going to get back to working and build up some muscle! She is just in the little yard around the barn(it is fenced in, but i had to rig a fan temporarily for my rabbits so they wouldn't die of heat stroke!) so I could get pics, but I would definitely re-do the fence before a baby was let loose in there! More likely, they would be moved to the barn my gelding is at so they could be with my friend's mare/foal. She has a big pasture to go out in at home, but I have been keeping her in the stall lately to do more with her.

I also really like this guy a lot(nice and no Mr. P!) http://www.louisianabred.com/images/...istinction.pdf, so if I try again with a TB next season, I would strongly consider going to him if I didn't end up going with a WB. I do love my TBs, but I wouldn't mind trying the WB/TB cross for myself.
    Brandi
    "A horseman or horsewoman must have only one thing (and each in his own way): a passionate, obsessive love for the horse. Nothing more." George H. Morris

FWIW, when choosing a stallion for your mare, head off and see if you can have a look at them. I know with my girl who is built like yours, I need more than pictures to make my choice. I need length of neck and a better shoulder angle too. After haviing 3 TB's from her I had an idea of what she would throw. She is one mare that consistently out does herself every time. All her boys have matured to over 16 hands with nice necks, length of leg, and a good shoulder angle. But this year's warmblood filly out did them all. She has a great shoulder angle and lovely uphill build with leg too. But I have always bred her to stallions I have seen myself because I just need to make sure. I have scratched a couple of stallions because they just didn't match up.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Well your second choice is a bit better than your first but he's still not an excellent match!

This stallion has an exceptional front end. Massive, well sloped shoulder and a good neck with fair length that's well set on. The front legs are particularly nice. Very muscley (sp?!) forearm and short, stout cannon. I don't much care for the other half though! He's too long in the back and looks weak over the loins. His hindquarters are not on a par with the front end at all.

I agree that going to see the stallion is absolutely the best thing to do if you can.

Keep looking... the stallion for you is out there!!