The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bareback lesson video! (feel free to critique)

Today, for the very first time, I got to have a lesson bareback!

I just happened to have a bareback pad that I had bought at a sale, and I FINALLY got to use it!

This is the last little 2 jump course of the lesson. After going over a cross rail a few times to get the hang of it, we went over the cross rail and then over to the little yellow vertical.

It was really fun! I feel like my leg was pretty still for being bareback, and it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it was going to be.

I'm hoping that more bareback lessons in the future (which we plan to do more often now) will help me get the feel of going with the horse over the jump. I still think I look like I am jumping ahead in the video, but it isn't nearly as bad as it was in a saddle!!

I was just excited that I was able to keep up with the kids (I was the oldest by about 10 years in that lesson!).

Patricia and Max

Looks like fun! I wish I could just bareback! My horse's withers would literally slice me in half! I do walk and a little t/c bareback, but it is not exactly comfy!

That looks like a BLAST! And you looked amazing! I'm thinking I might have to have some sort of bareback lesson soon as I'm nursing my way back from a badly sprained ankle :/

But you give me hope that I won't die hahaha!

Great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

wow you did really well. your horse is cute too!
    i rode my horse bareback last year. i would love to ride him more bareback but his wither hurts me too much!!!! i managed to ride for a little while pushing myself back a bit. canter was hard because i slipped forward onto that wither! owee!
    i could never jump him due to his wither.
    i have to say i was very sore after riding about 10 minutes bareback.
    i wonder if a bareback pad would make it comfy to ride my horse without a saddle?

You look great! Your horse is simply adorable, and in this video you are clearly doing a better job of following the motion and staying with him. Congrats!

You both look great! You are brave to keep your spurs on for a bareback lesson! I'd be afraid that would end poorly for me, ha ha!

You're holding yourself steady with your lower leg and knee and that's bringing your heels in and onto the horse all the time. He's not responding to your leg and you're having to do your steering with the reins and he's drifting over as you slip to your left side.

I'd suggest you take your spurs off next time.

I love riding bareback, even though I have a TB with withers (but a flat back, so it's not THAT bad )! I'm riding bareback for a little while because my balance is crappy and I lost my inner child. So my saddle is going to be gathering dust!

My one criticism is that your toes are pointing down. Keep those toes up and train the correct muscles, otherwise you won't reap the full benefits of bareback lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    You're holding yourself steady with your lower leg and knee and that's bringing your heels in and onto the horse all the time. He's not responding to your leg and you're having to do your steering with the reins and he's drifting over as you slip to your left side.

Oh yeah steering is a constant fight for me, with or without a saddle!!

Thanks you guys, I wish I had gotten more video but my husband was so entertained by the first part of the lesson watching all of us he forgot to tape!

I was really surprised at the difference in my leg and my jump position. I liked it

Well, if you really want a critique, you're sitting in a chair seat even without a saddle, and pinching with your knee to stay on. There are other rides passing by who have let their leg drop down under them which is the correct position for balance. Your lower leg is clamped to the horse, and your toes are sticking out, and your are using your knees and lower leg to stay on, and not using your upper leg. Its probably how you ride with a saddle, too, though, although I don't know that. You are going to have problems with higher jumps getting up and not being left behind, and you will end up posting off your stirrups wtih your legs out in front of you.

Your leg should be with your hip directly under your shoulder, and your foot under your hip, and you want to drop your legs down like you were rollerskating on the ground. That will give you balance through your core and upper body, and you can do anything with that strength. Good luck.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Bareback ROCKS! I take any chance to aver its powers to improve anyone's riding. So hang in there, keep doing it. I do notice your toes tending to point out, which would perforce roll the spurs in...not what you want. I would wager, with closer leg contact afforded by bareback, you'll not need them anyway

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    Its probably how you ride with a saddle, too, though, although I don't know that.
    Yep, I do. It is getting kind of gross, and I'm really glad we started the bareback to help.

The other riders in there are WAY better than me. Kids, but they have been riding for at least 3 times longer than I with good trainers. I try to watch them as much as I can.

This time, being the first run, I think I was just thinking "don't die!"

Next time I'll try and think about getting my leg to drop down and in line with my body. Thank you!

I've got to say good for you for trying and giving it a real go.

I think you'd really benefit from having lessons on the lunge without stirrups first of all.

That way you can concentrate on developing independent seat and balance without bringing up your legs and holding on with knees but whilst someone else has control of the horse.

Likewise you'll not be thinking about staying on for the jump.

Because you're using the strength in your legs to hold on and keep you seated that means that it's sort of popping you up and forward, meaning you become unbalanced and vulnerable to popping over a front should IF the horse did make a sudden movement.

Though he looks a thoroughly nice and patient sort so that looks doubtful.

But still if you can stay on because of gravity and your seat position rather than the grip of your legs then you will find later as you progress to more advanced work that you will have more stability and core strength.

Good job, just relax those legs. It doesn't look like your horse is going to do anything crazy to get you off so relax on him and use balance and seat to stay on. Maybe do some lunge lessons bareback so you feel more controled at first and relaxing down and balancing without using the reins. You will get a lot better seat. Good job though on your first time.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

LOL was thinking the same thing. That and what a nice horse you have!

I've got to say good for you for trying and giving it a real go.

I think you'd really benefit from having lessons on the lunge without stirrups first of all.
    We do that at least every other month or so I think that is why I was finally allowed "free" - with no saddle this time

The next day we did some no stirrups jumping.Here it is! The first time over isn't so good, but I think the second one looks pretty good - I'm not jumping ahead like I normally do and I think the leg looks pretty still.

Seriously, when I look at video of me with versus me without stirrups, I think I should just ride without stirrups all the time!

Also, I'm going to take what everyone said into account for next time!! I keep a riding journal with ideas and things, so they will go in there

A few things.....

First why the heck would you want to ride bareback when you have such a LOVELY new saddle?

And second; You and I must be kindred spirts... my horse hangs his tounge too.. but his is out the right side not the left..

But IMHO; I think you are a good rider that needs very little to get it perfect.......

By watching your videos this is what I woud do if I were your trainer.......

I would "not" have you do "no iron" work or bareback.. (IMHO - I think this creates pinching w/ the knees) you have strong knees.. you need to get a "feel" and "balance" with your body independently of your hands... to do this..

Longe lessons!!!! With your arms like an airplane.... "Lots" of 2 point dropping weight into your heels and wraping "around" your horses barrel..... using your calf - think sinking in the heel... holding your arms behind your back. This should develope that strength in your leg and balance needed... and by watching your horse; he is awesome and will help you - I know it.......

But you do look good.....
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Nice job. There's room for improvement, but good for you for giving it a go. A lot of people wouldn't take a full lesson bareback.

I rode my spooky boy bareback the other day. I forget how narrow he is. There is no horse from about mid thigh down so it can be really hard to stay in the center of him. Cantering was awesome! but I should've done the transition back to the walk on a straight line instead of around a corner. I almost came off the side of him. I can ride other horses bareback just fine. The shape of this one is just hard for me. Wonder what my other narrow boy is like bareback.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Nice job. There's room for improvement, but good for you for giving it a go. A lot of people wouldn't take a full lesson bareback.

I rode my spooky boy bareback the other day. I forget how narrow he is. There is no horse from about mid thigh down so it can be really hard to stay in the center of him. Cantering was awesome! but I should've done the transition back to the walk on a straight line instead of around a corner. I almost came off the side of him. I can ride other horses bareback just fine. The shape of this one is just hard for me. Wonder what my other narrow boy is like bareback.
    If you have one with a shark-fin wither - use a bareback pad AND a soft western pad under the bareback pad... REALLY helps....
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!