The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horse Trailer Accident in Cincinnati

There was a pretty horrific trailer accident just north of Cincinnati on Saturday afternoon.
    Evidently a tire on the truck blew and the dually and 3 horse trailer rolled in to the median.
    http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...wDMp52Yrw.cspx
    Last edited by carasmom; May. 24, 2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: wrong address

link doesn't work...but so, so sorry.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Link worked for me. That is an awful story; 5 people, 2 horses, & a dog were injured. Both horses were trapped in the trailer per the article. The article says a horse owner was passing the area with an empty trailer and was able to transport the injured horses to an equine clinic. Thankfully she was in the area!!!
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

The pictures show some scary stuff!

Glad horses made it out ok, definitely putting some happy thoughts in for the people injured!

Kudos to the person that stopped and volunteered her trailer! Jingles for all concerned in the wreck.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Jingles for all concerned. Every horse owners nightmare.

I hope everyone makes a full recovery. I couldn't help but notice that the horses legs were not wrapped and sustained injuries..that is why wrapping legs while trailering is so important, perhaps some of the injuries could have been avoided.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

So scary and hits so close to home for me. Even 6 months after my wreck, I still have nightmares.

Re Wrapping: I didn't look at all of the pictures (too painful) but it's possible that they were wrapped at the time of the incident and the wraps were removed after the horses came off the trailer
    Right after the accident
    http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...3ca1d34938.jpg
    After the wraps were removed
    http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...53223336fb.jpg
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Hope everyone makes it.

And let's bookmark this one for the "GN are more stable" crowd..........
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    So scary and hits so close to home for me. Even 6 months after my wreck, I still have nightmares.

Re Wrapping: I didn't look at all of the pictures (too painful) but it's possible that they were wrapped at the time of the incident and the wraps were removed after the horses came off the trailer
    Right after the accident
    http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...3ca1d34938.jpg
    After the wraps were removed
    http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...53223336fb.jpg
    Are those pictures from your crash? If so, I'm so sorry. That's my biggest nightmare. Jingles for you.

I wish the news article hadn't had so many photos. Absolutely horrifying images. The picture with the one horse on the ground, the other lathered and fighting, with all the tack strewn across the median was particularly heartwrenching.

Jingles for everyone involved for a fast recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bee View Post
    Hope everyone makes it.

Seriously?? The trailer, no matter the style, is going to follow the truck when it runs off the road! At least it remained upright. The STEERING tire on the TRUCK blew...Doesn't have a damn thing to do with what type of trailer was hooked to the truck.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Hope everyone makes it.

Honestly I think the fact the trailer was a GN is why those horses got out at all. I know the article says the trailer rolled, but if you look at the photo of the trailer up that hill, there is no indication the trailer rolled, no roof crinkle or anything. Looks like they got tossed around a bunch and probably hit pretty freakin hard going up that embankment.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Seriously?? The trailer, no matter the style, is going to follow the truck when it runs off the road! At least it remained upright. The STEERING tire on the TRUCK blew...Doesn't have a damn thing to do with what type of trailer was hooked to the truck.
    Actually, I was thinking that if it had been a BP trailer, it might have flipped and/or rolled during that wild ride off the highway. GN's will always be my preference.

This accident is an excellent reminder to always check your tires (truck and trailer), inside and out, before getting in gear.

Jingles to the injured people and horses.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    Honestly I think the fact the trailer was a GN is why those horses got out at all. I know the article says the trailer rolled, but if you look at the photo of the trailer up that hill, there is no indication the trailer rolled, no roof crinkle or anything. Looks like they got tossed around a bunch and probably hit pretty freakin hard going up that embankment.
    I missed the part about the article stating the trailer rolled, but I agree, from the looks of those photos, it doesn't look like that was the case. I also agree that it being a GN probably saved those horses' lives.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Actually, I was thinking that if it had been a BP trailer, it might have flipped and/or rolled during that wild ride off the highway. GN's will always be my preference.

This accident is an excellent reminder to always check your tires (truck and trailer), inside and out, before getting in gear.

Jingles to the injured people and horses.
    Yeah. I was thinking the same. I will only ever have a gooseneck too as I'm convinced they are more stable too but I didn't want to start a big BP vs GN deal here. Jingles to all involved. This is truely one of my worst nightmares.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post

My point exactly.

Horses survival is luck of the draw. We've all seen enough news footage; trailer smashed all to bits and horses still alive, or trailer doesn't have a scratch but the horses are dead.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.

!!!! I lived for 12 years one exit south of Kings Mills on that map. I worked in Lebanon for a few months. Ouch, Ouch.

Special prayers for the 14 year old kid in critical condition. Cincy Children's is pretty good at trauma care.

Hope everyone makes it.

My point exactly.
    ???What??? What was your point again? Because from your first post it sure seems like your point is that GN are not more stable than BPs.

GN are more stable. This wreck had nothing to do with the trailer and everything to do with the failure of the tire on the steering axle.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    ???What??? What was your point again? Because from your first post it sure seems like your point is that GN are not more stable than BPs.

GN are more stable. This wreck had nothing to do with the trailer and everything to do with the failure of the tire on the steering axle.
    So where is the extra stability? Shit hit the fan and control was lost, despite pulling a 'more stable GN'. You too are correct, control and stability had "nothing to do with the trailer".

Oh wait, you mean that if it had been hauling a BP it would have instantly flipped over in the road and burst into flames.
    Disclaimer;