The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If I could run fast enough, I'd show my own, but they look better with Jens.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

It is not all in the "run fast" that is important. It is important to know EXACTLY what the judge is looking for "going away", "coming toward", side, "going into trot", etc. I remember when paying a handler, or should I say a "runner" as much as I pay a prof handler, I asked if they knew what the judge was looking for as you moved away on first part of triangle. I was just starting to quiz but stopped right there. They said just going as fast as possible. YIKES! Then in walk portion, they held reins taut where they should have been loose and made mare with "ok" walk look far less appealing. Live and learn but pay for the pro because everywhere I have shown, the non-pros charge the same as the professional handler. There is a minimum day rate for a pro but if you plan ahead and let people know you are bringing in a professional it is easy to make the minimum. There are also tricks in handling to show best traits even better and worst traits much better. Such as if animal has a bad way "going away" a handler would position themselves directly in front of judge (instead of horse) and sometimes they will bauble a little hoping to miss extremity fault. Same in "coming toward".

If you skip ahead to the 3 minute mark of following video you will hear judge thanking for using pro handler so they can see what they need to see. Happy judges are a good thing. I have seen much frustration when judge has to school runner on what to do. So many times they have to have "runner" to again and again, wasting time, because they don't show judge what they need: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxlOZXKw6Js
    Last edited by onqhanoverians; Jun. 8, 2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: add video of judge thanking for pro handler
    Robin Quasebarth
    On Q Hanoverians
    Webmaster/Photographer
    http://www.onQHanoverians.com/testsite