The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I don't think my mare will ever foal

I have this fat, snorting, sighing, frequently sweaty, milk dripping mare in my barn that takes tours of her (&*#ing stall all day and all night and will.not.foal.

I do not think she's actually in foal. I mean, I didn't breed her and maybe she has a particularly lumpy, convulsive uterus and the vet didn't really feel a baby horse.

10 days I've been watching this horse. Ever since Predict A Foal predicted a #$%!ed foal, I watch, and listen through the baby monitor. For 7 days all 5 squares lit up making me all squeee about a baby horse in the next 24 hours. PAF lies. pH dropped to 6.2 and then back to 7.4. pH testing lies. For 3 nights she's laid down and grunted and groaned and sounded for all the world like she was pushing.

She waxed heavily then quit, then waxed again and now has dripped milk for 2 days. Yesterday she paced, pooped about 7 times in 20 minutes, sweat like a hungover lumberjack, and then wandered off to have a snack.

Today she barely finished her alfalfa, barely drank and tonight she paced, pooped, pawed, rolled and then wandered off to have a nap. She is not going to foal, I just know it. I think I have lost friendships with people who've stayed up with me too many of the past 10 nights without seeing a cute little wobbly legged foal and happy snuffling mare. My foal watch buddies are now passed out.
    Vet said yesterday, shouldn't be more than 48 hours tops but could be 2 weeks if fat mare really feels like hanging on.

I offer one free, fat Tb mare supposedly in foal but probably just with lumpy spastic uterus. You pick up.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

LOL

Well, it makes for entertaining reading, anyway!

It makes my current foal watch not seem as bad. At least mine hasn't been teasing me -- she doesn't even look quite ready yet.

I do sincerely hope she puts you out of your misery soon!!! Good luck!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

How many days is she? Two years ago Lotty went 373 days

She was bred July 22....I'm not even going to think about watching her for a while yet
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

LOL Great reading I hope she goes soon for you, it can really be maddening! I've never seen the pH go UP though - that's a new one...
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

My one mare went to day 378 last year and had a beautiful filly.

FYI If you check her c alcium, and see that it's really high but then goes down, that would be a real cause for concern. I have seen that happen in a few mares--2 red bags and 1 stillborn. I'm not trying to scare you, just letting you know what happened at a barn I used to work at.

My mare actually foaled two days "early" with her second foal but tested in the "birth imminent, do not leave unattended range" for 8 days!!!!! She too kept us entertained with her antics night after night like she was getting paid to put on a show. One night she was actually standing quietly munching hay when all of a sudden I see FEET! No antics, no pawing, rolling, cat stretches etc. Just FEET! I truly felt like I had post traumatic stress disorder for a while after it was over. Hopefully your wait won't be too much longer.

OMG Laurie that is exactly what I'm afraid she's going to do! I hear all the pacing and think... maybe... and then I hear her sigh and go off to munch or nap and think... what if she's sneaking this baby out?

The calcium's stayed high but I was worried and had an ultrasound done day before yesterday. Either she has a really gifted spastic uterus that can morph an eyeball shape when needed or there was a very lively baby in there, and the placenta looked healthy. I saw the baby moving an hour ago but I'm worried about a red bag delivery for sure.

There's pictures from a few minutes ago at the top of her page. I'd cleaned the stall not 20 minutes before, to give you an idea of how much of a poop machine she's become.

So... today?? (please. right now would be great)
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

My mare is at day 363, and by all accounts (she's 5 hours away) has looked imminent for 8 days now. It must be something in the air this year!!!
    -Jessica

Too funny!
    Now I'll have to stay tune to the fat, snorting, sighing, frequently sweaty, milk dripping mare show as I have to know how this turns out!
    Sending happy thoughts of labor to your mare. She looks great.
    The baby should be called Anticipation. Pan or Annie for short.

Default What is her turnout situation ?

I have, and will continue to, foal mares outside so long as the weather is okay. As per the policies of a vet I have worked for, and foaled out many a mare in the outdoors. Which is somewhat irritating, really, when you are working 'foal watch' for the vet and have to go hiking around the property checking fields and paddocks instead of just sitting on your butt outside a stall. At which point, you find yourself wishing they would just put all the 'imminent' mares in stalls.

Maybe the mare needs to walk around. And not in a stall. Does she have access to come and go as she pleases or is she stuck in the stall ??

I believe, with all my heart, that mares kept for days in a stall go thru many more theatrics than mares who can have turn out. My mares come in, and stay in for the evening when my Chemetrics test shows foaling is expected very soon-- which for me is 250. Otherwise they are in the pasture with their friends so they are happy and content. JMHO and how I do it on my farm.
    OH, and I see on MareStare some mares who have their tails wrapped for days and days!! Not good.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbrook View Post
    I believe, with all my heart, that mares kept for days in a stall go thru many more theatrics than mares who can have turn out. My mares come in, and stay in for the evening when my Chemetrics test shows foaling is expected very soon-- which for me is 250. Otherwise they are in the pasture with their friends so they are happy and content. JMHO and how I do it on my farm.
    OH, and I see on MareStare some mares who have their tails wrapped for days and days!! Not good.
    There was one mare this year that they wrapped her tail like a month before her due date. I sent them a note saying if you wrap the tail wrong or for too long you can cut off the circulation and the tail may have to be amputated. I realize that is extreme but I couldn't stand seeing the mare wrapped for a month. She foaled without her tail wrapped.

Up till last Monday she was out 24/7, and then she was out days (or at least mornings and evenings on the hot days) and in nights till yesterday when she looked so completely ready that I kept her in, plus it was 95, humid and still.

I haven't turned her out yet today. I can open her stall door and let her out into a dry lot since my vet doesn't want her on any of the fields. I've never planted fescue, but fescue is all over this area and has taken over the neighbors fields. I can kick her out for the rest of the evening and put her back on drylot turnout tomorrow.

She was up and down and dramatic from 11 till 1 today, then more snacking and sleeping. I fell asleep in the barn aisle on a Wug and got woken up by three hens. I was all kinds of confused for a second...

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    I have this fat, snorting, sighing, frequently sweaty, milk dripping mare in my barn that takes tours of her (&*#ing stall all day and all night and will.not.foal.

I do not think she's actually in foal. I mean, I didn't breed her and maybe she has a particularly lumpy, convulsive uterus and the vet didn't really feel a baby horse.

10 days I've been watching this horse. Ever since Predict A Foal predicted a #$%!ed foal, I watch, and listen through the baby monitor. For 7 days all 5 squares lit up making me all squeee about a baby horse in the next 24 hours. PAF lies. pH dropped to 6.2 and then back to 7.4. pH testing lies. For 3 nights she's laid down and grunted and groaned and sounded for all the world like she was pushing.

She waxed heavily then quit, then waxed again and now has dripped milk for 2 days. Yesterday she paced, pooped about 7 times in 20 minutes, sweat like a hungover lumberjack, and then wandered off to have a snack.

Today she barely finished her alfalfa, barely drank and tonight she paced, pooped, pawed, rolled and then wandered off to have a nap. She is not going to foal, I just know it. I think I have lost friendships with people who've stayed up with me too many of the past 10 nights without seeing a cute little wobbly legged foal and happy snuffling mare. My foal watch buddies are now passed out.
    Vet said yesterday, shouldn't be more than 48 hours tops but could be 2 weeks if fat mare really feels like hanging on.

I offer one free, fat Tb mare supposedly in foal but probably just with lumpy spastic uterus. You pick up.

Best laugh I've had all day!!!

Sorry about the the PAF & pH -- first time I've had them fail....well, at least the pH.

Mares...what can you say? They are MARES!!! I think they sit around all day with their mare-friends thinking of ways to drive us crazy..."that's what they get for sticking their hands up our butts over and over again....I'll show THEM!"

Examples: I had one of my mares checked (palpated) about 4 weeks before her due date to make sure the foal was positioned properly. I'd had a breech birth once and never want another one, so I get that done whenever I can. Anyway, vet says, "the baby is awful small for it's gestational age." Hmmmm. No question as to the breeding date or another stallion getting in the mix. Well, it's a good thing the vet said that -- the mare went for 387 days!!!

In that case I was very glad I had the PAF strips.

Then once I took a friend's mare to be checked, since the mare was entering her 12th month of pregnancy and my friend was beginning to think the mare was NOT pregnant -- just fat! Vet says baby was right there -- head JUST on the other side of the cervix. Said "it will be tonight for sure -- maybe tomorrow."

My friend faithfully stayed up all night watching mare. Nothing. Stayed up next night. Nothing. After night #5 she said "#$%&! this $h!t -- I'm getting some sleep!!" FOUR nights after that the mare finally foaled. So much for professional advice.

This is our payback for all those rectal palps we do to them...

I would agree with the turn-out thing, but with the pH going up and down, that might concern me and I'd want to watch her.

Well, CM -- all I can say is I feel your pain....good luck and may the Foals be with you (soon).

Its probably the weather. Its awful this week. My geldings are all acting the same way!

Talking

My 1st mare foaled at 341 days...the 2nd mare foaled at 353 days...the 3rd and final mare foaled at 355 days. I could take that one in an in hand yearling class almost. I just love the monitors that the vet sews on and when the alarm goes off you are looking at feet!

And I love my Chemetrics Foal Watch Test that lets me go to bed at night, knowing that my mare is not going to foal. Just like I am going to do tonite. My mare is out in the pasture now. No sticky milk. no vulva open.......going to bed tonite and I guess if i am wrong..........well I am just wrong.

Best wishes for your mare. Please update us. We do care.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Still no baby, but we do have sticky milk and open vulva... still. I'm pretty stressed, but 4 vets (2 have seen her, one consults with the teaching hospital and the other consults with a private hospital) feel like all's well so I need to calm down. And OMG, 387 days?!? That's just crazy! Ducky was supposedly bred sometime in June, July or August so no idea what day we're on but she doesn't need to know that she can draw this out over a year.

Sending happy thoughts of labor to your mare. She looks great.
    Thank you! Would you like to take her home? She's a total sweetheart, you'll just love her. I need sleep.

If I ever do this again, which I do NOT plan on doing, there will be Chemetrics and Mare Stare. No doubt about it.

But, just a reminder, if you do marestare, make sure you wrap her tail weeks ahead. LOL. Just kidding. I do watch marestare and there are many many really good farms that are class acts on there.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    If I ever do this again, which I do NOT plan on doing, there will be Chemetrics and Mare Stare. No doubt about it.
    Well, if you are getting weird results from PAF & spa strips, the same thing would happen with Chemetrics -- it's just another product that measures calcium.

But you DO know what will make her foal don't you? Go out tomorrow and buy ALL the stuff you need to set up your Mare Stare. Be sure and buy it on sale where there is no refund.

When you return the newborn will be lying next to your mare. Both will be laughing at you.