The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What sized halter...

So I've never had to buy halters/bridles for anything other than large ponies (fit well into cob-sized stuff) or full horses, so I'm a bit perplexed at what to buy for my Riley girl. She's ~13.2h, not a particularly delicate face, but definitely not chunky. Do I start with pony or try cob first? I've found some great deals online on some pretty halters (Oh God, next is a bridle....) so I'd like to minimize shipping/return fees.

Thanks for any suggestions. And if anyone has any brilliant ideas about where to find an affordable, but ok quality pony-sized surcingle so I can start long-lineing, that would be fabulous.

Take measurements based on bridles/halters you already have, and see if you need to go up or down all over, or just certain parts.

Considering that everything I have at the moment fits a jug-headed Appendix who hovers between a full and oversize, that probably won't help. But taking measurements in general hadn't even occurred to me. Thanks!

Maybe this surcingle? Nylon and fleece but may be a good economical choice.

And I'm pretty sure the mediums at our barn wear pony sized halters. But measuring is a good idea. And I think some halters come in more than one pony size (small pony and just pony). I've definitely seen some sized for very small ponies.

I'd try pony first. I have a 14.3h Arab with a dished face and he is between pony and cob. He fits in large pony sized halters most of the time.

Of course, to complicate things, not all halters are created equal -- some makes run larger than others. It can be a lot of trial and error.

Seven - I saw that one last night and was thinking it looks like a good prospect! If I order it, I'll let you know how it work out.

Phaxxton - That's kinda what I was thinking. The cob-sized creatures that I've known were either large ponies or small horses or full horses with delicate heads. Any thoughts about the Perri halters? I saw this in Dover and thought that the pink would look lovely on her dark grey face: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=489378340

This might be a really dumb question, but I've ordered Riley a bridle (she measures a perfect pony-size). So does that mean that she should be a pony-size in a halter? Still using the rope halter and while that works, I really want something "pretty" for her.

Honestly, the sizing for halters and bridles depend a lot on who makes them and how your pony's head is proportioned. My TB pony has a long narrow head. He fits into both yearling and pony sized halters, but needs cob sized bridles for the cheek pieces (unfortunately this means nosebands are almost always too big ). My other pony has a smaller, but thicker head and fits into pony sized bridles, but takes a cob sized halter.

Just For Ponies is really helpful and if you provide them measurements, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you find a halter that will fit well. I also suggest looking for a halter with an adjustable noseband as well as the crown piece.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I second mg's suggestion. Just for Ponies rocks! They are super, super helpful, and more than happy to help you with sizes, measurements, etc.
    I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Any thoughts about the Perri halters? I saw this in Dover and thought that the pink would look lovely on her dark grey face: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=489378340
    I have Perri halters that looks pretty similiar to that only without the ribbon for two of my mares. If the ones I have are any indication, they run a little large, so I'd probably try a pony size if I were you. My 15hh Anglo-Trakehner mare was swimming in her cob sized Perri's halter, though it fit fine after I punched three extra holes in the crown