The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Did anyone else in FL get the letter from Dept of AG?

Just got a notice from the Dept of Ag regarding farm registering requirements.We have these neat "horse Passports" that I have used that are good for 6 months to cross state lines (in the SE) with only your coggins and a recent health certificate to get the passorts (and $5).....
    I had to "register" my farm........to get them.

It seems they (FL and USDA---USDA led) are working towards requiring EVERYONE who crosses a state line to have a registered farm and passport so they can trace "diseases"....starting in 2011.

Did anyone else get the letter? Is your farm already registered? Just thought I"d let everyone know what seems to be in the pike!!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

I haven't seen anything like this, however I recently moved barns so maybe my mail hasn't played catch-up with me yet.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

You mean this thing ? http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/forms/09219.pdf
    Or this; http://www.globalvetlink.com/animal-owners/

None of this has surfaced in Georgia. Didn't USDA say they were dropping all this?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I use the FL Passports and love them. (the first link) but they asked me to "register" my farm the first time I asked for them.......
    This proposal just furthers the farm registration thing. My husband thinks it could mean for horses to cross state lines, they'll have to come from a registered farm to prove there are no diseases lurking. It is coming from USDA according the letter I got. This could tie in with those passports.

It said " In February, 2010 the USDA announced a new framework for animal disease traceability. The new framework is intended to replace the4 former National Animal 'Identification System (NAIS) Your location was registered in the NAIS system and your premises registration which will enable expedient notiication to all premises owners in case of an animal disease emergency. Premisis identicifation data is held in a secure database. Your account and identification cards can still be used as proof of your premises ID number.

We continue to rely on producer involvement and input to guide efforts towards increasing animal disease traceability. In addition to one on one feedback from livestock owners, we also receive input from a group of industry leaders........
    This group will meet in June (in SO FL at a cattleman's meeting). As always, we value your sugestions and ideas from our industry partners as we move forward. Your input is important as we respond to the changes announcerd by USDA."

It is signed by Stephen Monroe of the Division of Animal Industry, state of Florida.
    I have his email or phone if anyone wants to pm me......
    Last edited by florida foxhunter; Jun. 5, 2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: sorry for the typos, I have a broken arm!!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

I guess this is what they mean; http://www.aphis.usda.gov/traceability/

"Only apply to animals moved in interstate commerce;"

They are still holding public meetings, so there are no actual rules in place yet. I guess Florida are doing their own thing.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Fla might be doing their own thing, but NAIS is not dead.....