The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How Are Hunter Breeding Classes Run?

I'm specifically wondering about Pony Hunter Breeding classes and how they are run. Do you walk into the ring? Trot into the ring? Any information on the protocol/how these classes work is appreciated. I got a little bit of an idea from YouTube, but in the videos I found, the horses were already in the ring.

All come in at once at a walk and line up. Judge(s) then look at each pony individually as they move down the line. After all have been examined, each is moved individually, usually walk towards judge, then trot past and beyond, in straight line. After all are jogged, judge will call out a second line of his picks, in order. After studying.g them again, he may move some around in the lineup, or he may pin them in the order called. First and second place class winners will then compete for Best Young Pony, same procedure. A champion and reserve will be named, them you are done!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    All come in at once at a walk and line up. Judge(s) then look at each pony individually as they move down the line. After all have been examined, each is moved individually, usually walk towards judge, then trot past and beyond, in straight line. After all are jogged, judge will call out a second line of his picks, in order. After studying.g them again, he may move some around in the lineup, or he may pin them in the order called. First and second place class winners will then compete for Best Young Pony, same procedure. A champion and reserve will be named, them you are done!
    Exactly! I just competed in my first Hunter Breeding Class with a fellow breeder's 2 year old this afternoon. We were 2nd in both of our classes and were invited back to the Best Young Horse classes :-) Boy was it fun!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for!