The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lowest-Carb SWEET feed anyone?

Well, it's hot out and as always, my 17h brick-house of a TB has decided that its time for his diet (not quite finishing up his grain - no - Ulcregard doesn't make one lick of a difference). I've got a bag of BS Charger, but I'm wondering if there isn't something that's a bit healthier for him....I mix it half & half with his TC Senior and his other myriad of 'feed' products, really he is quite healthy (alfalfa hay, beet pulp, rice bran, hay stretcher, grass turnout)...so I don't mind making this one concession...any suggestions?...I have Purina, Agway, Nutrena, Blue Seal, and Triple Crown available...I was thinking about going the Calf Manna route...He does get grain 3x daily. Thanks for the suggestions, surely there has got to be something better than the good old 'Charger' these days?

Why sweet feed? By definition, you're going to have more carbs there.

If I were concerned about getting the calories in without the sugar, I'd go for something like Nutrena Compete and maybe add some oil. (gradually)

But I don't really understand the sweet feed component to your post?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Will he eat Ultium? It is about 16% NSC which is very low compared to most sweet feed preparations. Even Equine Senior is 26% NSC. My horses LOVE Ultium.

I mix the 'Sweet' feed in with the TC Senior and he finishes his meals. Oil turns him off in the summer, though it's something I do feed in the cooler months. I really like the TC Senior, he has gorgeous dapples & a wonderful topline, and I will not feed him Ultium (he wont eat it anyways). I figure the grass really spoils his appetite, but, just not enough calories to get the job done...

Calf Manna is used to put weight ON calves - and horses. If he's going on a diet, Calf Manna is not your friend.

oops - Well, it's his own diet that he doesn't need. Sorry for the confusion...it's worked well in the past at stimulating appetite and putting the weight on, even if its a bit old fashione...

Complete Advantage (Omulene 400?) is sticky and fairly sweet, but clocks in at 20% NSC. Not ideal, but a small amount is great for masking supplements and it's not too oily like the Ultium. Is he insulin resistant, or are you just trying to avoid too much sugar? If he is not insulin resistant, the Complete Advantage is fine even in larger quantities.

Triple Crown Low Starch, Triple Crown Senior,Blue Seal Vintage Performance LS, or Purina Omolene Complete Advantage 400 if Ultium doesn't work for you
    R.I.P. "Henry" 4/22/05 - 3/26/2010 We loved you so much....gone but NEVER FORGOTTEN...i hope we meet again

If he only does this during grass season, perhaps there's no reason to sweat it. He's just not hungry, period.

There are plenty of low-NSC things that can make food more appealing. You could try cinnamon or fenugreek. Most horses like at least one of those.

If you are worried about NSC- I would get some of this (its a molasses flavored no sugar horse feed additive) and add it to his regular feed

Molasses flavoring
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Triple Crown Senior is a low starch textured feed. Ultium is a soft pellet.