The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default More Equipment history help sought!!

After looking through all the pictures on my other thread (thank you for your help!) I have a few questions. I've been eventing for 10+ years - but I'm embarrassed to say I don't know much about the technical changes (mostly equipment)

I'm hopeful some of the rule gurus (Janet - any help?) or history buffs can fill me in about...
    1. When the rules change from allowing a hunt cap to requiring one of more substance?
    2. When did XC protective vests come into the picture - and when were they required?
    3. When did protective boots become 'the norm' on XC?
    4. A caption on one picture mentioned the horse carrying 165 the whole event - with the comment 'as required at the time' When did we start (and stop) using weighted saddle pads? What was the argument?

Just looking through pictures - for some things (like vests) it was later than I would have expected. For others (like boots) it seems like there are two phases -boots on front (earlier than expected) and then boots on hind show up...sometime!

My curiosity would like an answer sooner than Amazon can get a book to me! You know what they said about the cat...

for the hunt cap vs helmets with chin straps-I beleive that it was in the early to mid 80's(too many helmets kept falling off in the show jumpint) x-c has had the chinstrap for longer, the vest was made manditory in the mid 90's-i think 96, the manditory weight pads were dropped in '97 (I only know this because i was doing NAYRC and trying to figure out how to correctly ballance the lead right, i was feeling quite sorry for my horse)...Don't know much about protective boots, the earlier model of protective boots were either the porter boots or leather....

Wellllll, I don't know exact dates but may be able to help through my own history. When I started eventing again, after a long hiatus, it was at BN in 1990. I wore no vest, an uncertified caliente for XC and SJ, hard hat in dressage, galloping boots on XC. In a 1992 XC photo, Training level at Tamarack Hill, I'm in a vest and what appears to be a beefier helmet. The vest is beautifully clean and looks brand new My horse is bare-legged. In 1995 I did my first CCI* Long. Horse was in boots all around. Still the hard hat for dressage, bigger helmet for SJ. Weight was still required at the (**) level bc my pal Suzi was doing the CCI** and was hunting around for someone tall enough and strong enough to put her weight pad on for her. I THINK 1996 is when Carol Kozlowski succeeded in having the weight requirement abolished. Thank you Carol
    Hope this helps. Sorry I'm not more definitive!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by In_ View Post
    After looking through all the pictures on my other thread (thank you for your help!) I have a few questions. I've been eventing for 10+ years - but I'm embarrassed to say I don't know much about the technical changes (mostly equipment)

I'm hopeful some of the rule gurus (Janet - any help?) or history buffs can fill me in about...
    1. When the rules change from allowing a hunt cap to requiring one of more substance? Most had been using some sort of helmet with chin strap on XC thru the 1978 World Championships. Afterwards a chin- strap was required for stadium as well. By the mid-80's Pony Club 'approved' helmets (normally caliente (sp?) ) were 'required'. Since then we have progressed to current helmet requirements as listed in the rulebook. This changes as the testers improve their process and the helmet manufacturers improve their product.
    2. When did XC protective vests come into the picture - and when were they required? I first saw them in 1987/1988. They were 'required' around 1992-1993. Standards change for vests same as with helmets for the same reasons listed above.
    3. When did protective boots become 'the norm' on XC? Boots have been used on XC since I started in 1976. Many did not use until they reached Prel or above. I first noticed color-coordinated boots at lower levels when I returned to eventing in the late 1990's
    4. A caption on one picture mentioned the horse carrying 165 the whole event - with the comment 'as required at the time' When did we start (and stop) using weighted saddle pads? What was the argument?
    1997 - Carol K spear headed the testing to remove the weight requirement. Mainly becuase 'most' females have to carry more dead weight, normally considered harder to carry than live weight. They found the horses carrying "a lot" dead weight were more tired and were prone to more odd fences or falls than those carrying little or no dead weight. http://www.hideawayconnemaras.com/erin.html
    Pulling from memory only at this time, my comments in this font
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Others will know much more about this than I, but re: protective boots for xc, I remember reading Mary King's early-90's (92 or so) book 'Mary Thomson's Eventing Year' and there was a bit about how she booted for xc. It involved porter boots and then a standing-wrap-like setup sewn shut. It was definitely interesting to see the difference - thank god we have more convenient options now!!

The great Bluegrass State. Or Commonwealth. Whatever.

USEF has a history of safety (helmet & body protector) rules on their website http://www.usef.org/documents/safety...uleHistory.pdf
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsmom View Post
    USEF has a history of safety (helmet & body protector) rules on their website http://www.usef.org/documents/safety...uleHistory.pdf
    Great information - thanks!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim