The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Due to popular demand on the 'ST3D: WFP' thread.

I'm raising my hand here.

And don't get me started on the incorrect details in the movie - I simply don't care!

I own the book, movie, and vinyl soundtrack.

One of my favourite quotes is, and I can't quote it exactly, but it goes something like this ( http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif )
    "Riding the dressage in an international 3-day event in the pouring rain is like dancing Swan Lake in clogs in a bog."

Another one:
    "Since 3-day event horses are only marginally less stupid than the people who ride them..."

Who's next?

[Edited to fix quote.]
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

"Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

tle, does this mean you are self-proclaiming?
    I will change it - remembering movie lines word for word has *always* been a struggle for me http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Always have been. It ranks high on my all time list.

And FWIW, i'm definitely a self proclaimed movie quote guru. Drives my friends crazy! :-)
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Ok, I'm going home tonight to rewatch the movie and jot down all of my favorite quotes. I can't remember exactly how it was said, but I liked the one where Captain Johnson is speaking over the training montages and he addresses the issue of cross country saying it is "not, Miss Brown, an opportunity for carefree abandon" (or something of that nature). I've got Sylvester on dvd, but they have yet to release International Velvet on dvd. I can't wait!

Pippa Funnell referenced I.V. several times in her autobiography, so it made a distinct impression on her while growing up. I figure it can't be so bad, then, considering...

YES!!! I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! (And, I too, realize the innacuracies... but oh well...)

I have the movie... and wish I had more than that.

This movie is amazing!

I love the quotes... they're great. I also like the fact that they showed the work necessary - they didn't let it get horribly emotional and sappy. Captain Johnson is a genious! He said some very wise, and very good things. The movie is a wonderful eventing movie. I too, will have to review the movie for the proper wording of the quotes.

"Eventer's do it 3 ways in 3 days"

I love it too!!
    I think it's time my friend returned my copy. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif

LOVE THAT MOVIE ---love ithttp://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

sure is inspiring!

Oh I am absolutely heartbroken it's not available on DVD? How silly! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif

My favorite scene is when Sarah is schooling Arizona Pie in the front field, and Auntie Velvet comes running down the lane shouting, "Sarah! Sarah!" and waving a letter. Sarah stops jumping her 2'6" vertical and novice sized ditch to hear her aunt say, "They've chosen you!" Sarah responds, "They've what?". When Aunt Velvet shouts, "They've chosen you for the Olympics!" Sarah shouts, "Yippe" and continues her cantering circuit over the 2'6" crossrail and novice sized ditch. A little far fetched...but it STILL gives me goose bumps.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I just like Anthony Hopkins movie quotes...hadn't thought to add International Velvet to my repertoire of Silence of the Lambs stuff. What an odd coincidence! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Whenever I'm waiting to start a procedure or something I always say "ready when you are, Sergeant Pembry" and see if the nurse gets it. Most of them know what I'm talking about by now, but the new ones always need to be indoctrinated. (I never do this when the patient is awake, by the way) Sick, definitely sick, but my whole family is obsessed with bizarre movie quotes and "Silence of the Lambs" is a GOLD MINE! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif Now I shall have to adopt some "G-rated" Anthony Hopkins lines.
    Click here before you buy.

I'm sure you all know this, but it bears repeating, that is Ginny Leng riding in that scene (jumping the ditch and yelling "Yipee"). Another reason I LOOOVVVEE this movie (she's also the "American girl" who rides the stocky black horse on xc at the Olympics).

My favorite scene is when Sarah is schooling Arizona Pie in the front field, and Auntie Velvet comes running down the lane shouting, "Sarah! Sarah!" and waving a letter. Sarah stops jumping her 2'6" vertical and novice sized ditch to hear her aunt say, "They've chosen you!" Sarah responds, "They've what?". When Aunt Velvet shouts, "They've chosen you for the Olympics!" Sarah shouts, "Yippe" and continues her cantering circuit over the 2'6" crossrail and novice sized ditch. A little far fetched...but it STILL gives me goose bumps.
    Like Robert Duvall's jumping scenes in Something to Talk About. And Sylvester. Just too off for me to enjoy. When did I get so cynical?

And Tammy, I'll match you quote for quote, just wait.

Originally posted by Mariequi:
    And Sylvester. Just too off for me to enjoy. When did I get so cynical?
    Oh, you can't diss Sylvester! That's Kim Walnes and The Grey Goose doubling for Melissa Gilbert at Kentucky!!! That movie is the only opportunity I'll ever have to see them in live action (I was too young for the real thing).

I don't want to put anyone in shock, but I've never seen this movie. I've wanted to see it for YEARS, but have yet to lay my hands on a copy.

What's a girl to do? Why can I find this movie? It sounds fantastic!

I've also never seen Sylvester or Horse in a Gray Flannel Suit or any other classics. But I have seen National Velvet and the Black Stallion.

Although many of the fall scenes in Sylvester were real. A friend of mine's fall at Chesterland (I think) was used. Of course her fall was on an Advanced course and I think that the movie was only running on Prlem. course.

My fav. is the movie True Lies...the scene with Arnold on the horse jumping through the park and into the water at the hotel! Anyone know whose horse that was--he was cool!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Oh, no! Would nevah, nevah, nevah diss Kim and GG. Faves of mine. My prob with Sylvester is that the horse is on the bit, off the bit, looks like one horse, looks like another horse. My most unfave horse movie. Love everyone in it!

Well thanks to all of you I just went and ordered a video copy of IV and a dvd of Sylvester. Like I needed to spend the money. Can't wait til they get here though!

I own the book, movie, and vinyl soundtrack.
    Uh, Blugal, the VINYL SOUNDTRACK? That's a rare item, I'm sure. Your obsessions aside, I think International Velvet is one of Francis Lai's best scores, with a very memorable theme. (Francis Lai's a big name in movie composing -- he specializes in romantic fare like Love Story and A Man and a Woman.)

Anthony Hopkins is excellent but I also love Christopher Plummer's performance. Really, really charming.