The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bates Isabell or Stubben Scandica

Shopping for a new saddle and have found some good deals on the Bates Isabell and the Stubben Scandica. Don't know much about these two saddles and wanted to hear some feedback about them. Saddle is for a 16.3 TB, most med trees fit him just fine, not hard to fit. Im 5'2 and prefer a saddle without huge knee blocks. Any advice or critiques on these saddles would be great!

Well, I am 5'2, too. The Scandica comes with shorter flaps. I've never sat in one, but I am considering that and the Stubben Roxane Dressage. As for the Isabel, it has the flexible blocks that can be moved. I find it comfortable, but the flap length is an issue. I don't feel like I get enough leg on the horse with these flaps. Good luck with your decision. Saddle hunting is quite the adventure.

Happy Riding,
    Jessie & The Stinky Pony aka Bosco

Had the Scandica, sold it for little $ It did not fit me nor the horse. I found it hard, stiff, not comfortable.

These are two VERY different saddles, both in how they fit the horse and how they fit the rider. One is a very deep seat with a low pommel, and the other is a flatter seat with a bit more rise to the pommel. One fits a horse with a flat back, while the other is more banana-shaped.

This one isn't a situation where you are going to be able to pick one and hope it works, when dealing with those two different saddles.

If you like the fit of both saddles for both you and the horse, the Bates hands down is more versatile as far as the gullet change system and removable knee blocks. Re-sale is much better on the Bates. I had a very nice Stubben Scandica and as very hard to sell. Was lucky to sell it for $750....

I have ridden in both. Though I'm only 5'4", I prefer the Isabell, though I don't mind the Scandica (less comfortable and a more awkward balance for me). Both were used on multiple horses and had versatile fits, but really you just gotta try it on your horse.
    "Capture the horse's confidence to obtain his consent." -General L'Hotte

I am a shorter rider with short, thick legs and my mare is a TB with a short back- the Scandica is the only saddle out of DOZENS that I tried that fit both of us as well as my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    These are two VERY different saddles, both in how they fit the horse and how they fit the rider. One is a very deep seat with a low pommel, and the other is a flatter seat with a bit more rise to the pommel. One fits a horse with a flat back, while the other is more banana-shaped.

This one isn't a situation where you are going to be able to pick one and hope it works, when dealing with those two different saddles.
    I rode in a Bates Isabel for 3 years, loved the deep seat. Hampton Bay is correct, the Bates is made for a flat or straight backed horse (a lot of TB's fit this description) and the Stubben is made for a curvy horse (many baroque breeds). Yes, the Stubben is a hard surfaced saddle, but they wear like iron. The Bates is more comfy, but the deep seat is not for everyone, many gals find it hard on the hips. Good luck w/ your search.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

If the Stubben is the real buffalo/deerskin leather then YES, love the saddle. If its the "blue line" Stubben (look for the blue circle as the "brand") then PASS, its cheaply made and not the same as the 3500 scandica.