The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canter Conformation Critique

So I have a friend that is looking seriously at this guy. Wanted to see if the confo critiques on here matched up to my assessment.

I like his face and his eye, but he looks wonky in the second pic. However, I'm thinking that's bc of the way he's turned?

The 3d pic reassures me some. I'm thinking his neck is a little short, I like the way it's set on his body though, and his shoulder/humerus looks like he could pick up his knees pretty well for the jumps. Needs weight, but the legs look alright - is he tied in behind the knee? He also looks a bit straight behind I think. What's your overall impression? Thanks for sharing!

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...&directory=377

I like him....bit concerned that he hasn't been snapped up already. Can she go see him in person? But nothing conformationally says to avoid him....just based on the pictures (I rarely would rule a horse out based solely on their pictures)....but he is one I would want to see in person. I'm not sure about his hind end and that's what I would want to look at more closely...and make sure he is fairly straight up front.

His pedigree isn't too bad at all...and I like his JC name

http://www.pedigreequery.com/boundless+luv
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Apparently he's on the farm... she talked to the trainer last night, he says the temperament on the 1-10 scale is a 1 and that he started once. Makes me wonder bc Pedigree query says 15 starts. I've told her to pull the JC records from a better source (since really anyone can edit Pedigreequery) and I think she's working on that. She would go pick the horse up herself with a vet check, so she'll get to see him in person before she buys. So we'll see...

Here is his equineline pedigree...it also says 15 starts.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...name=Boundless Luv&dam_name=Put Luv On&foaling_year=2004&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

Perhaps he has only had one start this year....15 for a 2004 model is about right and I wouldn't be turned off at all by that many starts. I would be a lot more concerned if this was a 6 year old on the farm with only one start!

Hopefully he works out for her. Based on his pedigree...he should be a good event prospect. Interesting to see him so tall when he is doubled up on Tom Rolfe so close up! But I do really like to see Tom Rolfe in a pedigree...
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the 15 starts, more that the trainer said only one start and if there are 15, he's fibbing about something and then what else is he fibbing about?

The guy apparently sticked him and he's actually right at 17. Looks pretty big bodied too. Just the way I like them... I am trying to be careful of saying "get him! get him!" because I like him Keep saying in my mind... he's her horse, he's her horse!

Quote Originally Posted by evans36 View Post
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with the 15 starts, more that the trainer said only one start and if there are 15, he's fibbing about something and then what else is he fibbing about?

The guy apparently sticked him and he's actually right at 17. Looks pretty big bodied too. Just the way I like them... I am trying to be careful of saying "get him! get him!" because I like him Keep saying in my mind... he's her horse, he's her horse!

It's probably just one start this year or one start with this trainner. I wouldn't read too much into that. Besides...regardless of what they say...I always just make the call on what I see and what my vet sees.

sounds like you should be going to get him

I'm not overly fond of this guy's topline and hind end. I don't think the neck is too short, I think the back is too long. I know a LOT of people don't mind that in the least, though, so again - it's a "what is your personal preference" thing more than anything.

You can't really tell much about his legs from the photos, but he looks camped out behind, and his pasterns look a little long. He's definitely one who could take your breath away in motion and make all questions disappear, but there are lots of Canter horses out there and I'd be more likely to look elsewhere if looking for myself.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I'm not a fan. His back is long for my taste.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I think alot depends on what she plans to hopefully do with him.
    I personally think he is a bit long backed and am in the corner of something looks odd with his hind end but it may just be the picture. I would definately have his back checked out. His neck and front end don't bother me so much and he has a nice shoulder.
    Overall he appears like a nice individual who I would say could probably be a nice foxhunter or low level eventer.
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

My first impression was YUK. He has a nice eye but he's not for me. Not a fan of his hind end at all. It could be the angle of the photograph that makes him so unappealing to me but I always go with my gut and my gut says no.

Quote Originally Posted by Hony View Post
    My first impression was YUK. He has a nice eye but he's not for me. Not a fan of his hind end at all. It could be the angle of the photograph that makes him so unappealing to me but I always go with my gut and my gut says no.
    I was trying to tone it down in my response. I liked his shoulder, but his back end + long back look like he'd have trouble collecting, most likely. (With the disclaimer - some horses always defy conformation.)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Personally...I've just seen so many of them look SOOOOO different in person. You can not base any opinion on these photos other than he has a blaze.

I have also seen them change in how they look with just a few months of proper work. I agree he looks a little long in the back...but not that long given his over all size and proportions. For eventing (running and jumping), I prefer them a little long to a little short. I did think his angles behind look funky and he looks weak behind but again...that is not something I make a decision on based on the photos.

I would want to see him in person...and see him move. I think you can tell a lot just watching them walk and trot a little. Seeing how they track up (or over track) and how they move (straight, free etc.)

I'm in the long backed, camped-out-or-something-behind camp. But I like short-coupled, catty clever horses. Modern eventing is all about how fast and effectively your horse can come back from the gallop and negotiate a ridiculously tricky spectator-friendly complex.....

But, he might be more appealing in person..... never experienced that phenom myself, but you never know.....

Jennifer

Nothing is moving down at CT the CANTER horses are languishing with few people walking thru the backside.

Cute face.

His hind end really bothers me... he's got an adorable face but his back and hind legs just look really off to me. *Could* be the way he's stood up, but I think he's just poorly conformed. Sorry
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

There are SO many gorgeous ones on the CT page right now.
    It is possible that this horse is the victim of poor photography, but there are a lot of others that look so promising. Definitely keep an open mind if you go.,,

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    I'm in the long backed, camped-out-or-something-behind camp. But I like short-coupled, catty clever horses. Modern eventing is all about how fast and effectively your horse can come back from the gallop and negotiate a ridiculously tricky spectator-friendly complex.....

But, he might be more appealing in person..... never experienced that phenom myself, but you never know.....

Jennifer

Actually...most of the *** and **** horses that I know who are currently competing are either normal length backed or a touch long--really normal but many on this board would seem to say they are long (I can think of about 10 that I know pretty well and have had a close look at). Being able to collect quickly and being quick and catty isn't always related to the length of back. It has more to do with balance and flexibility and placement of the joints etc. Often people think short coupled horses are easier to balance up and will be quick and catty...but not always...and sometimes they can be very tight and difficult to get really working over their back or have a very unadjustable stride. A horse with a normal to slightly long back is more likely to have the ability to jump across the wide jumps....and is usually a more scopey jumper (although for eventing you do not need the scope you do in the jumpers)....but it has to be combined with the balance, flexibility, placement of their joints and legs etc.

On todays courses you need a horse who can efficiently cover ground, and easily balance and adjust their stride...a lot of that is rideability as well as natural ability...and not really directly related to the length of their back. You also still need scope to cover some of the outrageously wide jumps. But honestly....most people are not looking for a *** or **** horse....and most average athletic horses can do a **...how easily they can do a ** or how competitive (and whether they can do it with a monkey on thier back---which are the horses I like to own) is a different question.

I can tell that some of the ackwardness of this horse looks to be the way he is stood up for the photo. You could go look at him in person and he could look WORSE or better....I suspect he will look better. Hell...I have a horse that many (respected people) think may be an international caliber horse....but if you strip him down and stand him up for photo....he can look very funny (can look long backed with a short neck). Then if you look closer at his angles you realize what a powerhouse he is.....and when people see him undersaddle....all doubts go away.

This horse isn't stood up correctly enough to judge his hind end angles....right now they are questionable to me.

Ackward, new COTH word. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by NMK View Post
    Ackward, new COTH word. Love it!

LOL--I like to make words up when I type fast (while also on a conference call)......but you understood the meaning!