The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding arena in trees....footing?

This will be a weird question, but anyone know of anyone who has a riding arena IN a treed area, with real arena footing? But trees IN your arena?

Sounds weird, huh? I'm thinking like a Upperville ring, but with all weather footing, not the natural grass.

Would a footing company be able or willing to do something like that you think?

Yes, I have too much time on my hands to think up some doozies, but it's an interesting question, I think!
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

You could easily kill the grass/weeds and not the trees with Round Up. I would think if the area needed any grading, you would compromise the health of the trees. Depending on the type of tree you may be able to just add footing over the ground, depending on how much water it holds, drainage etc. Some trees cannot tolerate having their roots covered or the traffic that alot of riding might cause. I had an area at my old house that had wonderfully draining soil in a wooded area (picture 80 year old oaks that had been thinned out). I was able to ride and set up a small jump course under the trees and could ride in the middle of the day even when it was 90 degrees in the sun. I miss it very much.

I would talk with an arborist to find out if the trees could tolerate it. Then I'd call a contractor. You'd likely need one that has a small skid steer to move the material around in tight quarters.

I would think if you left maybe 4-5' around the trees to water it would be ok, especially if the trees have been there a long time and have a good root system. Sounds like a dream arena to me!
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

jawa, that sounds wonderful!!

I saw a sand ring surrounding a giant oak near here. I imagine it was cleared a long time ago and maybe was grass first before she put sand down. There are trees at one end too.

I can picture it and I think it would be beautiful!

I would leave the bedding approx 2-3 feet out from the trees and put mulch there instead to retain moisture.

Love it - hope you do it and then take lots of pictures so that we can see it!

Upperville just put in all weather footing. I think they left grassy areas at the base of the trees, but excavated around the rest of the arena, laid base, and put in footing on top. Some tree species will be fine with this, others will not. Since the oaks there are so well established, they might be OK. What you need to be sure of is that you're dealing with tree species that can handle soil compaction on top of their roots or are very deep rooted. Oaks tend to be fairly deep rooted, but establishing them in compacted soil can be difficult. For a good guide, look to the tree species that are living in the cities near you. If they can live on a city sidewalk, surrounded by concrete, they can survive a riding arena.

We have huge oaks at H and F in our arena and they are doing fine. I've also seen arenas in the midst of trees in the Southern Pines area. (those would be mostly pines!)

Foxtrack in Southern Pines has huge old trees (oaks I think) in a sand area which they use for warmup at their shows. It is AWESOME in July/August. Of course you don't have to "put down" footing in southern pines.... you just scrape off the grass, and voila you have a sand ring.....

Jennifer

Raises hand. I have two huge cottonwood trees in one half of my arena roughly in the center. Luckily one end is large enough for longeing and only one time has a horse bulled enough to go around the tree (longe person runs fast, really fast to get around tree also). It is lovely in the hot summer to halt horse in the deep shade, and at 5 pm the whole thing is shaded..

I did not start with wonderful footing in there (even though footing is part of my business) because of the trees.. Over time, I have spot fixed and added crusher fines (stone dust), squeegee, used shavings in winter (not manure) and sand to the clay base on one end and the sandy silt on the other end to arrive at pretty good footing after ten years. Unfortunately I cannot add anything to defost the footing in winter also because of the trees, so that is where the used shavings come in because the arena is also my sacrifice turnout off the corrals.

Lucky also that horses do not want to chew cottonwood tree bark. It must taste REALLY bad because one corral also has a huge cottonwood tree that is untouched. The willow trees they can reach are toast.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com