The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rein Length?

Does anyone know how long warmblood reins are versus horse length? I can't seem to find it online. Thanks!

I've never heard of "warmblood length reins." Most WBs don't have necks that are any longer than regular full (horse) sized reins. If you have a horse with a very long neck, you can find extra long reins at dressageextensions.com. The extra long reins are about 60" long as opposed to regular horse size which are about 54".

Note that poor quality "economy" reins are frequently shorter than they should be.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Thanks; I was thinking I remembered 60" as being the longer length. I have heard the term warmblood describe that length many times but I agree the terminology is inaccurate. I really do not like economy reins. My hands are super small and I hate having big fat unbending reins (which economy tends to be..) and having them be too short. Found a seller on eBay with some good looking rubber reins that I think I shall try.

It is interesting that reins ARE actually made shorter than they were maybe 20 years ago....and few people notice that they are sometimes only 54"...and the longest you can usually get is 60". They use to be 64" or 66" (for bigger horses/too allow more seeking fdo).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    It is interesting that reins ARE actually made shorter than they were maybe 20 years ago....and few people notice that they are sometimes only 54"...and the longest you can usually get is 60". They use to be 64" or 66" (for bigger horses/too allow more seeking fdo).

A one pound coffee can is now 13 oz., too.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

A friend of mine puts a flash or other leather connector at the "bite" of her reins so that she has enough length to really let her long necked mare stretch out at the free walk.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

just as an fyi, justbridles.com can get the lovely adt calfskin reins in 60" and can special order longer -- i got the 60" and have been very happy...

I got a beautiful pair of 62 inch reins from Jerry's Harness. Quite a few options and their standard lengths are 56 and 62.

I felt constricted with standard "long" reins on my very large young horse and the 62" have been great. Figure I can always get them shortened later if needed.

http://www.jerrysharnessshop.com/reins.htm
    Dappled Grey
    www.dappledgrey.com

When you count your blessings, count your horse twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dappled Grey View Post
    I got a beautiful pair of 62 inch reins from Jerry's Harness. Quite a few options and their standard lengths are 56 and 62.

I felt constricted with standard "long" reins on my very large young horse and the 62" have been great. Figure I can always get them shortened later if needed.

http://www.jerrysharnessshop.com/reins.htm
    Thank you for the info!!! I also found regular "long" reins not long enough for my green larger horse, and it took forever to find someone who would special order a pair of 64" reins. Now I have an easier source!!!
    It is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Pie View Post
    A friend of mine puts a flash or other leather connector at the "bite" of her reins so that she has enough length to really let her long necked mare stretch out at the free walk.
    I once had a Holsteiner longneck.
    No - it's NOT a beer.

I bought some 72" Cavalry reins from a reenactor catalog.
    They were actually TOO long.
    The bight (sorry - I just had to look up the spelling - I'm a bit compulsive like that) once got caught under my foot at the canter and bad things could have happened!

I found that, like Puddin said, a strap of leather at the buckle did the trick. For me - a spur strap was the perfect length so my guy could touch his nose to the ground.
    ... It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Shwung