The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Can I put a "For Sale" sign on my horse?

I am running out of ideas and am totally serious!
    Could I take my horse to a schooling show and have some sort of "For Sale" sign attached to his saddle pad?
    Would that be way too tacky, or a good way to get exposure?

I have him on Dreamhorse, Equine.com, Craig's list, some yahoo group lists, Exracers, here, I put flyers up at the show I went to on Saturday and I've gotten maybe 3 calls on him.

I feel like I am seriously running out of options and was thinking of taking him to a few schooling shows so he can be seen, but how the heck do I let people know he is for sale??

I really don't want to have to take him to an auction, but it might come down to that. It's not as if people see him and don't like him, it's just that there seems to be no interest...
    He is looking really nice right now (good weight, shiny) and I have been riding him regularly. We have a short summer up here before they get fuzzy again, so time is of the essence....

Have you re-evaluated his price? Is it too high or too low?

Have you contacted local 4H and pony club groups (if he is suitable) to let them know about your horse? Contacted local trainers and riding instructors who ride/coach in sports he would be suitable for?

You mentioned Dreamhorse, craigslist etc. - are there any local saddleclubs that have website classifieds? Flyers at feed stores and tack shops?

Just some ideas. There are some really nice horses for sale in my area that have been for sale for awhile, I think the market is still a little slow.

Yes- plenty of trainers have baby pads embroidered with "For Sale" and use them on horses in the schooling ring. I haven't seen anyone actually show in one - but maybe at a schooling show you could get away with it.

Take new photos of him. Re-evaluate your ad & your price - make sure he's appropriate for the market.

take him to a schooling show, and put flyers up. Everywhere. Tell everyone that he's for sale & to bring offers. Especially the trainers. Put flyers up at area barns, tack stores, feed stores, etc.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Many years ago I took a nicely bred Hanoverian to a paper chases with "4 Sale" cut into the rump/croup with clippers.....in the fall season it was part of the trace clip....one sign on either side.

Didn't sell that way though. Finally sold word of mouth.

A white ribbon in the tail can be used to indicate that a horse is for sale. It's pretty old-school, though, and many might not know that particular tradition.

One of the barns I worked for while in college had white square pads with "For Sale" embroidered on both sides in the lower back corner in a pretty font. It worked REALLY well.

I am the announcer at the local schooling shows held at our barn. I have no problem announcing that a horse is for sale.

I'll do it during schooling breaks or after he's finished for the day.

It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Do you need to sell to purchase another horse or could you give him away? Maybe to a 4H or pony clubber or a nice middle aged re-rider.

I fall into the latter category and my horse is very well taken care of. I wish I could afford two. Yours looks like a gem.

The QH people in the local show ring put up 4 sale posters in the bathsrooms/snakbar with a good pic, details, and what classes the horse will be showing in. Dunno if that might work.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I was at Deep Run Pony Club Horse Trials one year and someone taped a piece of paper saying 'FOR SALE' on a pony's hindquarters, I don't know if they got any offers but it was sure talked about-! Not in a bad way though, just 'Hey, Does that grey pony have a For Sale sign on it??' I thought it was creative- I would think a square pad would be fine for schooling shows- after all, it wouldn't be the worst thing I saw on a horse in a schooling show.

Change his show name to "For Sale"

silkysun Guest

Throw together a video and youtube him! Make sure you think of a good tag line, too. We did that with some horses that a friend of a friend wanted to sell and we had tons of response.

For Sale sign on the inside of the Port-a-Pot door. You have a captive audience so to speak.
    You could customize it for the show to say will be showing in Pleasure Horse division etc...

I once saw a horse that was for sale at a schooling show - it was easy to tell, he had "for sale" painted in the biggest possible letters on both sides of his body. yes in the show ring. even worse, he was grey (white) and the paint was hot pink. not sure if they sold the horse, for his sake, I sure hope they did!
    "I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth it?”

Show him as 'I'm for sale'

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Go to a schooling show where he can shine. Enter as many classes as you think you can before the CoTH dogs set upon you for horse abuse.

On the line where the announcer asks for your name write: Your Real Name.

On the line where the announcer asks for your horse's name write: For Sale (555 555-1212*).

*I know it's a long name, but I bet it won't be the longest! Do include the area code.

Ha! I really had to chuckle when I saw the title of this thread because one of the nicest TB's I ever owned was at a horse show standing at the trailer with a for sale sign around her neck. She was being a bit naughty and the owner was so pissed she sold her to me for a song.

I know at some of the schooling shows I have gone to the announcer will say and 4th goes to "X" and by the way folks he is for sale.

I know someone who wrote "For sale" on a pony's rump in that glitter stuff at a schooling show a few years back..I'd also agree with putting signs up at shows (inc. on your horse's stall) and seeing if they will announce that he's for sale. I bet it'd get attention if you showed him under "For sale" or something similar. Good luck finding him a new home
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Quote Originally Posted by crewgirl34 View Post
    Change his show name to "For Sale"
    Don't laugh- one of the local trainers will appear at local shows with a horse entered as "For sale".

Pretty funny when the anouncer says "Next in the hunter ring is Sally Ryder on For Sale".
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF