The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Freeze brand prefix ID

Does anyone happen to know what this brand prefix might be? It's not the Arabian nor the Part-arab and it's only half of the BLM brand. It's on the horse's left side, up by the poll and is a small sized brand.

Any ideas?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...randprefix.jpg

Don't recognize it but i do know that australian and New Zealand Standardbreds both use symbols to represent numbers/ letters. So maybe thats what it is.

P.

Your best bet is to contact Kryo Kinetics as they hold the patent (or did at one time) on the Alpha Angle Freeze Marking (which is what you have-it is not a "freeze brand" it is a "freeze mark" according to the patent holder) system in the US.

That organization marking doesn't match anything on the state id or breed lists. The closest possible is the state ID for Colorado (it would be a messed up Colorado ID though), and I have seen poorly applied half-Arabian marks come out looking similar but not since I was a teenager when freeze marks were more common in show horses.

Here is their contact info:

Kryo Kinetics USA LLC
    Bronwyn Mayo - President
    2741 S. Wenas Road
    Selah, WA 98942
    (might be a fax number, not sure)
    kyrokineticsusa AT gmail.com freezemarkid AT fairpoint.net
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

This is how to read the Aus and NZ Standardbred brands, however that doesn't look like either to me.

http://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/reports/fbrand.htm

Is that the whole brand? If not can we see a pic of the whole thing?

It's not my horse yet so I hesitate to put the entire mark up. It finishes out just like any other BLM or arab brand (er-mark. I'm in Montana, they're all brands to me ) giving a six digit registration number.

I'll try calling Kyro Kinetics today; when I saw him yesterday it was after business hours. I'm starting to wonder if it's an individual breeders brand, the last two digits of the number brand are the same as what I read as his birthdate but the other four digits are not a date.

I was told he was a mustang but he looks half arab to me.

Thanks for the information, folks! I'm learning a lot with all this.

Here are two numbers for
    Kryokenetics USA.com :

Office: 509 697 7633
    Fax: 509 697 4518

When your horse gets freeze marked you get a laminated card with all the information such as owner, horse description and a drawing of the brand. This card should transfer with the horse so the info can be changed to reflect the current owner.

I'm looking at the kryo. brand symbol and I see the middle symbol is your first symbol, but I don't know what it means. It looks like this on my card
    =(O)
    ll ( l )

and so I would assume that the ( are the first symbol on the horse, but I don't know what they mean. I would like to know, pleasse post again.
    Last edited by Eventer55; Jun. 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I'm in the process of getting this horse from the original owner through a trainer so I haven't seen the paperwork yet. I will have him transferred into my name-we need it for the brand inspection here.

Interesting-so Eventer55 you have the [ mark on yours also but it's not in the front? Are the stacked symbols your horse's birthdate or when he got the mark?

I'll report back when I find out more!

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Here are two numbers for
    Kryokenetics USA.com :

Office: 509 697 7633
    Fax: 509 697 4518

When your horse gets freeze marked you get a laminated card with all the information such as owner, horse description and a drawing of the brand. This card should transfer with the horse so the info can be changed to reflect the current owner.

I'm looking at the kryo. brand symbol and I see the middle symbol is your first symbol, but I don't know what it means. It looks like this on my card
    =(O)
    ll ( l )

and so I would assume that the ( are the first symbol on the horse, but I don't know what they mean. I would like to know, pleasse post again.
    = represents the number 0 and ll represents the number 1 in the system. The various V shaped angles represent 2-9.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    It's not my horse yet so I hesitate to put the entire mark up. It finishes out just like any other BLM or arab brand (er-mark. I'm in Montana, they're all brands to me ) giving a six digit registration number.
    I thought I was seeing something strange but realized it is the beginning of the line that runs under the rest of the characters/digits - so never mind anyway