The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Persistant scurf, sensitive skin

Hello,
    My horse is chestnut with very sensitive skin. This spring his skin erupted with crud and he lost large patches of hair. He had weeping, crusty, scabs on his neck, underbelly & rump. We treated with Chlorhexadine bathes per the vet, which has helped tremendously, but we're still battling it. We also spray him with an antibacterial solution. I found more scurf crusted all over his tail last week and started using MTG along with the other things. My thinking now..could this be diet related? Is there something missing from his diet that would give his immune system the ability to fight this stuff off, or will we continue to bath and spray him and hope eventually it goes away... Thoughts..

Read this thread (at least the first 1/3 of it)http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=155469

Then go buy several tubes of Equimax...
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I will check with my vet about this, thanks for bringing it up.
    Here is an article with some specifics..
    http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/...&story_no=1291

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

To add to Chocomare's post, take a good look at what you're feeding (by weight, not by volume) and see how much of your horse's nutritional needs are being met by his current diet.

Sometimes the diet can be OK, but you can have underlying issues going on—an undiagnosed/untreated infection/other illness—that's stressing the immune system, allowing various skin funk a better chance of becoming a problem.

Copper, zinc and flax are all good for coat/skin, but you'll want to have a look at your horse's current diet before adding more trace minerals (be sure you're addressing a deficiency, not inviting toxicity). Selenium and vitamin E (they work together) are also somewhat implicated in skin/coat well-being, but more in muscle growth/development.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Are you using fly spray? I have seen a few horses over the years, all chestnut that actually got blistered by fly spray and were very scurfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Are you using fly spray? I have seen a few horses over the years, all chestnut that actually got blistered by fly spray and were very scurfy.
    Agreed, it may be a sensitivity or an allergy. If I use the wrong fly spray on my sorrel mare, she breaks out in hives.. then the hives get all crusty.. then they flake off (with the hair attached) and ooze.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!