The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Question Where/how to place ground wire below hot wire for escape artist?

Something's gotta give, because The Blue Eyed Blonde(tm) is going to end up getting herself shot by my very pissed off neighbor. And he'd be well within his rights!

I've posted about her before... It's going to come down to staking her out or hobbles for her to get any grass if I can't get something to work.

My hay guy, a cow farmer, suggested to run a second ground wire where she will hit both the ground wire and the hot wire when she tries to duck through the fence.

I'm picturing this as being the middle two strands since she puts her head through then pushes under the top strand, THROUGH the middle strand, and either steps over or just pushes through teh bottom strand...

I have FIVE copper ground rods, all sunk about 2'6" deep. Unfortunately, that's as deep as you can get, since I'm on top of granite ledge.

The other pasture has one rod, down almost entirely (5') but the five rod paddock seems to have been the hottest in the past. Still, Hay Guy thinks that the ground is dry enough that she's just not gettting enough of a zap...

How far apart should the two wires be, and should they be the middle??
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Laughing, sorry. I work with ponies... they would give houdini a run for his money

Have you actually seen how she gets out of her prison?
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Why not run more hot wire like a three-board fence? That is, a top wire, a middle wire about 1.5-2 feet lower, then a bottom wire about 1.5-2 feet lower but off the ground and all three are hot?

I use Premier1Supplies hot tape and rope.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

So how many are already hot? Can't remember from you older post.

Rhy, stop laughing. She's supposed to be a small horse, not a pony. But God Save Me from smart blondes.

I already use a three strand fence, Equiguard. Keeps stallions away from mares just fine.

She ducks, pushes and runs.

Ducks under top and/or middle... pushes through bottom or middle... I even roached her gorgeous baroque mane last fall thinking it was the hair.

It wasn't.

So, now I"m looking at going back to plain wire, or, this plan of plain hot wire in the middle with the ground.

No one's used this? Hay Guy said it's common with bad ground, and it should HURT when she hits it...

How strong is your fence reading when you test it? My horse hit mine that's reading 18kv and I've never heard such a squeal come from a horse. He's probably terrified of the filly now because he was trying to touch noses with her when the fence "bit" him. We have 3 strands hot and 3 not, but I have enough juice on my charger that all 6 would be hot as quickly as I could if it might help escaping. I'm no help with the earth ground return or whatever it's called, but do you have ANY way to change her fencing to something safer? I'm terrified that my horses will get killed or even worse kill someone else if they get out that I would do everything I could to put up wood or no-climb if nothing else worked. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. At least the disgusting indiana clay soil let me drive the ground rods in 8'.

I would also personally NOT use plain wire if you are not 100% sure she won't try to push through it. With a horse that's a known fence ignorer I would be really worried that she'd injure herself on it pushing through or getting stuck/tangled/etc. if it does zap her good.

I don't know that I would go just wire. Not if she's already contorting her baroque self through. I'd be too worried she would get stuck and fry herself.

Troublesome little beastlies.... can you string a couple more pieces? Between the top and middle, middle and bottom? How close is your bottom to the ground? Maybe another one there? The ponies (particularly the Napolean complex stallion) like to "shimmy" under the lowest wire.... Not very helpful...

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

You could try a different kind of wire - like the rope with wire woven through it. Or high tensile, that would be the way I would go.

LOL, I had a friend, had one of those Jesus of Nazareth donkeys, name of Walter, used to duck under the middle wire, and raise it up, and stand on the bottom wire, and hold the hole open for everyone else to duck through. Just stand there letting everyone out. Weasle.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I have miniature horses and they can escape from nearly anything. I now have a combination of different fencing -- six-rail pipe corral (big horses are on the other side of the fencing), with no climb wire down to ground, with the sixth rail of the paddock fencing a couple of inches above the ground so they can't slide themselves under by digging at the ground. Electric tape doesn't even slow them down - I don't even bother with it for the minis although the exact same tape will keep my 17.3 hand TB and 16 hand TB/Percheron frozen in place for fear they might get zapped.

So I'd definitely go for something besides wire.
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

get no climb. i know it's expsensive to have to replace your fencing, but she may be able to figure out a new way to get through the wire. I have also had some that do the same with board fence. they figured out how to knock out the middle or bottom and crawl under!

She pushed over/though 5' no climb. I would have to go taller, and I can't sink posts deep enough.

I don't have funds to re-fence. I am hoping to add cattle panels as I can.

She's not out when I'm not home.

She has ruined PIPE PANELS.

For now, I think she's going to learn to tether. She wants to act like a pony, she can be treated like one.

So, what I'm getting is no one has done the extra ground strand? Where's Frank, dammit?

Horseguard has their Bi-Polar fence (I think that's what they call it). Supposedly it doesn't need a ground. I feel your pain though. My 16.2 hh warmblood will go through two strands at a trot (over bottom, under top). Three strands she'll lean against until she pops through. Five strands she gets her head under the bottom strand and lifts the t-post cover up high enough until she can slip under. At least she stays in the one paddock I have fenced with no-climb and a single top hot wire.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

It's her native breeding. The "mustang" if you will. Throw-back to the pony in her

It sounds like you really don't have a choice as far as what to do. Tether her, she will learn. Eventually she will get sick and tired of being tied and figure some way out of that but at least this will buy you some time.

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

If you could integrate the Horseguard bi-polar in it may be worth a try. We live on ledge and get almost as much snow as you. I went with Bi-polar and LOVE IT! It hurts like a you know what and the horses and mini donk completely respect it. I have three strands that are under 48" and even the mini donk it frightened of it!
    Gone gaited....

It's her native breeding. The "mustang" if you will. Throw-back to the pony in her
    And here I thought it was the fashion model in her...

I will look into the bi-polar... about right anyway (manic humour... ) even if I can just do ONE paddock for now...

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    And here I thought it was the fashion model in her...

I will look into the bi-polar... about right anyway (manic humour... ) even if I can just do ONE paddock for now...
    What a cutie! And you roached all that beautiful hair??

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Ah! I feel your pain. Yesterday was out and watched the mini just lean against the tape, until it broke an insulator, and he just ran. Grrr...

I ran a grounding wire under some of my fencing this winter when the ice was preventing a good shock to the dumba$$ boys.

Just run a wire that isn't hooked up to the charger a couple inches away from the one she pushes on. She should hit both at the same time, and get a good zap. I suppose you could run the "ground" wire to the ground - don't know if that would increase the zap or not.

Good luck - I can't stand escape artists - they create this intense urge in me to find the biggest, baddest charger in the whole entire world and fry them 'till their forelocks curl...
    -Jessica

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyadawn View Post
    No I don't agree. I have about 30 Spanish Mustangs her to include her siblings and parents and they all respect my Horseguard. I have a very strong fencer for cattle and a very good ground on 4 strands of tape though.

I do think the Horseguard Bi Polar is worth a try even if you just do a few strands of it or make her a little paddock of her own. It just sounds like she's not getting enough of a shock when she challenges the fence.