The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default In praise of schooling shows

Yesterday I took the DrunkenBabyGiraffe to a local dressage schooling show to start teaching her to be a show horse (we were not entered, just paid the "non compete" fee).

During our stay, we had plenty of time on our walks to observe the horses, riders, coaches, and entourages.

My overall impression? GOOD FOR EVERYONE!!

Were there perfect rides on impeccably turned out horses?
    Well, no.

But there were local riders on all sorts of horses TRYING their BEST to learn this dressage stuff.

So instead of focusing on the negative, let's focus on the positive.

These riders could be spending their time and money on any horse discipline - yet they are choosing the art of dressage.

Instead of huge entourages with polo shirts matching the horse's saddle pad, there were parents and friends trying to figure out why the riders didn't want to do that fun barrel pattern out back.

Instead of warmblood, warmblood, warmblood, there were Arabians and Paints and Quarter Horses and a few warmbloods.

The majority of these riders have probably never even heard of rollkur. Instead they were working on 20meter circles and keeping their hands still.

So hats off to the local, grass roots schooling shows.

I love schooling shows. NO ATTITUDES !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Instead of warmblood, warmblood, warmblood, there were Arabians and Paints and Quarter Horses and a few warmbloods.
    We walked to the back warm up ring and for about a minute, the only horses I could see were *all* palominos, about five of them!

I'll second that! On top of all that, every schooling show I've taken my daughter to has had a "real" judge, so the score & comments she gets is exactly the same as if she were at a recognized show.

I love schooling shows too. Great place to get young ones out and gain experience without breaking the bank with entry fees etc.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

And let's not forget, most schooling shows have a wonderful crew of volunteers that are there purely for the love as well as a host that's probably turning a minimal profit. I applaud, thank, and respect the volunteers at recognized shows, but I practically worship the people who are willing to give their time and energy to schooling shows (and yes, I do volunteer at schooling shows)!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

The schooling shows I go to and volunteer at allow a little extra time between rides, and choose judges who will take that extra two minutes to say *something* to the rider.

I haven't shown recognized in years. Even if cost weren't a factor, a schooling show is usually a better use of my money.
    Last edited by pintopiaffe; Jun. 1, 2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: grammar. UG.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaGinger View Post
    We walked to the back warm up ring and for about a minute, the only horses I could see were *all* palominos, about five of them!
    Nope 7 of them You missed 2

We have some local schooling shows that just rock. Cheaper and closer and plenty of fun, with good judging.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by mademoiselle View Post
    Nope 7 of them You missed 2
    Who did they belong to?

Also, forgot to mention, not just low key, but covered arena at a schooling show. Can it get better?

I wish there were more dressage schooling shows in my area.

My barn hosts a series (yay us ) and another barn within reasonable distance does a series in the spring and a couple others will do a one off here and there but I really wish there were more.

As someone who is newer to dressage but not to riding I love doing schooling shows as it gives me a chance to get to know my new horse and give him miles(I still say new even though I have ridden him for almost a year and a half, but I think he will always be my new horse given the comparison was the horse I literally grew up with), get to know dressage and other people in the area who do it, and get good judges' comments without spending a fortune I don't have. They are also lower stress for me, with braiding optional and atire less formal (still need to make a stock tie!) so they are easier for me to get myself ready for bymyself (dh is at basic training all this summer and I am so not used to doing horse shows by myself! I have other family in town but feel bad asking them to help me for a weekend and often they can't...). I also am not positive we are ready for recognized shows yet but think showing is a good experience for both me and my horse....

So another person that just loves schooling shows!
    My blog:

RAWR

We have a great series of schooling shows in our area, also with rated judges who take the time after each test to speak to you. This is my first summer showing and we are having a blast! Not to mention we are learning a ton - there's nothing like show experience, no matter what level.

Most people, our barn included, still go into the ring braided and dressed like a "big" show! I've seen very few who aren't turned out beautifully.

At this point, I don't care if we ever make it to "the big time"!!