The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Humane Society Rescues 49 Horses, Mules & Donkeys in WVA 5/30

They are starved, really horrible condition, owned by a "horse trader" Anyone see a horse that looks familar, lots of pintos and paints... http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...ue_052810.html Humane Society will be posting more pictures and information after horses have been evaluated.
    Last edited by FancyASB; Jun. 1, 2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Fixed link

That link didn't work for me, but this one did:

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...ue_052810.html

gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... ..........i want the poor grey donkey the gal was hugging......

I wish I know what shelter is actually doing the work and in need of donations. HSUS and United Animal Nations won't ever see a dime of my money, and they are fronting the rescue, at least for the press.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Those pictures are heart-rending, especially if you look at their eyes.

I hope they are able to prosecute whoever is responsible for this.

I'd like to know if the "horse trader" has any registration papers?

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    I wish I know what shelter is actually doing the work and in need of donations. HSUS and United Animal Nations won't ever see a dime of my money, and they are fronting the rescue, at least for the press.
    They mention Cabell Wayne Animal Shelter in the press release, so that would probably be where to start.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/WV13.html

At least, that's where the dogs on the property went.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Did you notice they said there was a graveyard of bones, and then showed a skull???? Also animal control helped with this rescue BUT I'd like to know what the H??? they have been doing before this??????

I found these on the web site for my local paper.

Starving horses, donkeys seized from W.Va. man

May 29, 2010

PRICHARD, W.Va. (AP) — The owner of 50 emaciated horses, donkeys and mules seized by an animal rescue team says he did nothing wrong.

Gary Belcher of Prichard told television station WSAZ that the horses were skinny when he got them, and he's been trying to fatten them up.

Neighbors don't buy it.

They say they've seen animals arrive healthy and leave as skeletons — or die and get buried.

They called the Wayne County Sheriff's Department, which worked with the Humane Society to remove the animals Thursday.

State director Summer Wyatt says the animals suffer overgrown, infected hooves, parasite infestations and untreated wounds.

The sheriff's department says animal cruelty charges are pending.

Assistant Wayne County prosecutor Gary Michaels did not immediately return a phone call Friday.

Starving horses' owner faces animal cruelty charge

June 2, 2010

PRICHARD, W.Va. (AP) — A Wayne County man who kept 51 emaciated horses, mules and donkeys on his farm, along with 42 neglected puppies and dogs, has been charged with one count of animal cruelty.

Gary Belcher of Prichard is likely to face additional counts, Wayne County Sheriff's Deputy Adam Baumgartner said Tuesday.

The prosecutor's office is handling the case but did not immediately respond to telephone and e-mail messages.

After the animals were removed from his property last week, Belcher told television station WSAZ that the horses were skinny when he got them, and he was trying to fatten them up. But Baumgartner said he's heard that claim several times over the years when he's investigated neighbors' complaints about starving animals.

"There were animals in pretty bad shape," the deputy said, "but whenever I would ask, he would say he just traded for it or bought it and was trying to nurse it back to health."

The sheriff's department lacked the resources to investigate those claims, so Baumgartner said he had no choice but to wait and watch.

Deputies technically seized Belcher's animals about a month ago, but they had to stay put until the Humane Society could find a place to care for them. Baumgartner said he checked on the horses periodically and found food and water outside on his unannounced visits.

The horses, mules and donkeys were suffering from overgrown, infected hooves, parasite infestations and untreated wounds when they were finally transferred last week.

The state Department of Agriculture also tested them for equine infectious anemia, a common horse disease, said spokesman Buddy Davidson. All were negative, so they were allowed to be transferred.

Davidson said his agency received calls about Belcher's animals about eight months ago and dispatched investigators, who determined there were too many horses for the amount of land he owned.

Although Belcher has significant acreage, the animals were confined to a 2- to 3-acre section.

Davidson said agriculture officials had no legal authority to act because no diseases were found.

Don't you get tired of animal control's excuses?????