The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So When are YOU Ready to Show? *Update* We Survived!

You= your horse & yourself.

Ahh, i think the pre-show jitters has set in, hence this post. Seriously, nothing to really worry too much about- its a schooling show, and my old man and I are doing Intro A & B. Havent been a dressage show of any kind in over a decade. Been mostly taking my guys to open type shows, because my western friends will let us hitch a ride

Horse is an 15-18 yr old morgan who had a later-in-life start, who was a drill team and trail horse... didn't like the former too much- made him too anxious in the arena.

I've been taking him up to my friend's place to lesson either with myself or for a friend- so I know he does ok going places.

He's been doing well in lessons- can take some time in warm up to get focused, but when he does- ooo la la.

So, my barnmates convinced me to take him to a show on 6/19. Mailed the entry form today. And now I'm wondering when is a horse & rider REALLY ready to show, even Intro? Did I bite the bullet prematurely?

Oh and how the heck can I reduce the squeaking on his wintec (older 500 model)? Sadly it fits him well- so i can't justify a new one yet.
    Last edited by myhorsefaith; Jun. 20, 2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: updating title

One of the great things about a dressage show is you are really only competing with yourself in that you get your test back with comments that help you understand what you are doing well and what you need to improve upon. The next time you ride the same tests, you strive to get a better score.

My greenbean and I have exactly four Intro tests under our belt, all ridden in a CT or a Horse Trial. The cool thing is that each of my test scores has gotten better and better. This weekend, we are riding in our first rated dressage show, and I'm hoping it's the last time we ride Intro and can start moving up.

If your horse can transition to w/t and t/w and you can ride a twenty meter circle, you will both do just fine!

Where does your saddle squeak? Is it inside somewhere?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Aww, its just intro, relax! An experienced rider can take a horse that has been undersaddle for 2 weeks and win intro, a person who has been riding for 2 weeks can take a packer and get a decent score at intro! Chill and have fun!

Baby powder for the saddle--up under the skirt, I bet.

The showing thing, we're having trouble with fitness, not competence. If spring would ever a) come, and then b) go, I'd be able to breathe for long enough to sustain the necessary canter work to get him fit enough to sustain the necessary canter work after a year in rehab.

Wheeze, hack, hack.

aw, thanks guys. I know I'm just being a weenie! LOL

Mostly I'm worried about what COULD happen- that would make people shake their heads, thinking we're not ready to be out in dressage-public yet. % chance that actually happens is probably very small- but my brain is playing tricks on me!

As far as the squeaks- i think it is the webber on the saddle flap. is there anything i can apply to the flap? I just switched out the webbers for my leathers, and i'll know today if that makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    You= your horse & yourself.

Ahh, i think the pre-show jitters has set in, hence this post. Seriously, nothing to really worry too much about- its a schooling show, and my old man and I are doing Intro A & B. Havent been a dressage show of any kind in over a decade. Been mostly taking my guys to open type shows, because my western friends will let us hitch a ride

Horse is an 15-18 yr old morgan who had a later-in-life start, who was a drill team and trail horse... didn't like the former too much- made him too anxious in the arena.

I've been taking him up to my friend's place to lesson either with myself or for a friend- so I know he does ok going places.

He's been doing well in lessons- can take some time in warm up to get focused, but when he does- ooo la la.

So, my barnmates convinced me to take him to a show on 6/19. Mailed the entry form today. And now I'm wondering when is a horse & rider REALLY ready to show, even Intro? Did I bite the bullet prematurely?

Oh and how the heck can I reduce the squeaking on his wintec (older 500 model)? Sadly it fits him well- so i can't justify a new one yet.

Kudos to your barnmates!! If we waited until "we" were ready - we'd never get to a show.

I started dressage lessons in Nov and bought my new guy that same month. He had done bits and pieces of dressage previously. Went to our first schooling show in April. My main objective - not to hit the ground and have some fun. Misson accomplished. We did Green as Grass Tests 2 & 3. Our next show (this coming weekend) - we will do Green as Grass Tests 3 & 4. So, we stepped it up a bit by adding some canter work . . . as jenm said - the real beauty of it is, you are only competing against yourself. I think we have made some progress - I guess I'll know soon enough!!

Good luck and have fun!!

A client used to have trouble with her Wintec Squeeking. She used dish soap on the part of her boot that was rubbing on the saddle making the squeek.

I tend to use shows to motivate me to buckle down with my own horses....otherwise I focus too much on training clients. I try not to take myself too seriously, so I guess I feel always ready if I think the horse is trained/fit for the task. I have had things go wrong and survived, so I am less fearful of the possible chaos that can come with showing! Having good friends to support you regardless helps a lot!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    A client used to have trouble with her Wintec Squeeking. She used dish soap on the part of her boot that was rubbing on the saddle making the squeek.

Good luck!
    Dish soap as in joy rubbed in or a bar of soap rubbed on the boots? I'm in the same boat with my saddle.

Re the things that "could" happen: Put that out of your head...if the horse spooks, for example, its happened to all of us...I actually got dumped in the ring at a schooling show after a big attack of "NOT GOING" by a gelding I had. Then he jumped out and disappeared back to the barn. A friend of mine - experienced rider - took a new-to-her ex hunter to a training level test a few weeks ago, and the mare dutifully halted, trotted towards C, saw the ring barrier and quietly jumped out. So the judge let her jump back in and continue her test. If your horse can keep most of his focus, and fairly consistent contact, you will be just fine. Remember, its supposed to be FUN.

Default ah yes...

I've sent in my entry for June the 13th. Intro, A,B and Open. And it's been more than a decade since I did dressage, but my knee and ankle say no more jumping, so.... Junior gets a new job. Can we walk, trot, halt and do a 20 meter circle??? Well, yes, but.... we're going to work on keeping all four feet in the arena and not jumping out. He'll either be brilliant, or our trainer will pretend not to know us.... let's just say the scribe better have sharpened her pencil before we start...

Default Just do it!

I feel for you - took my greenie to a schooling show for the first time 2 weeks ago and rode Intro A and B. I really didn't think I was ready but my instructor encouraged me - really glad that I did because it got me off my fat you-know-what. Bought a trailer, got the clothes, practiced practiced practiced, and had the time of my life once I got there. The judge was great, the horse didn't embarrass me, and now we are ready to start working on the next things that need work. Entering a show just gave me the focus I needed.

Going to do it again June 19 and I'm really looking forward to it!

It just seems to be one of those things you just have to dive in and do...

I think I did my first dressage show after only doing dressage about a month. My horse is certainly not a schoolmaster either. She is a barely 15.2 hh Paint mare who I originally bought for trail riding. My background is hunters. My barn owner convinced me to try dressage because she had a dressage saddle that fit my horse.

Thanks for all of the encouragement!!! I'll be sure to post how it goes!

You are all right- just by signing up I'm all of a sudden more focused than I have been. While intro isnt anything to get excited about, it does motivate knowing i'll have to be in front of a judge and spectators in a few short weeks.

So i tried regular leathers yesterday on the wintec- and the problem is 80% remedied. Not perfect, but at least i can hear myself think now! LOL

I agree with everyone who says "just do it." Have as much fun as you can.

The first time I showed Intro, it was on a totally unsuited for dressage, 23 YO TB, and I was a 42 YO re-rider a few months back to riding after a 25 year break. Minnie was slightly silly (first test she decided to salute the judge at the same time as I did by bowing her head to her knee, and second test she thought cantering a circle would be more fun than trotting) but it was just a great experience.

Plus, you have a MORGAN. You'll be fine!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Have fun and keep in mind that a show should be considered part of your training...you'll know what things you need to work on at home. I have been riding all my life (evented up until 10 years ago, through Intermediate 3-day) and I now have a young horse that is showing 2nd level. I still get the show nerves. My husband doesn't understand that one! Just do the best that you can, be safe and have fun!! Let us know how it goes. Off to a show myself this weekend!
    Mirror Image 2001-2007

Yay! We did it, and survived without breaking anything (bones, halter, arena rail included), falling apart, etc.

My scores were A 61% and B 59.5% which put me in 2nd and 4th place respectively. Pretty reflective of the wigglyness and tenseness of both me and my pogo-stick, err, horse.

But I am proud we got out there and did it! We can only go up from here!

LOL a funny moment for me was that i was totally fine in the warm up, really helping my wee man chill out and focus, as he has a great fear of horses coming up from behind him, and we had a few of those *OMG!* bum-scoot moments. All was well, though. But once the whistle was blown for us to go into our test, i swear all the blood drained from my legs and i couldnt feel anything, LOL. The good thing is that I did laugh at myself, and so I did get some feeling back!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...th/HHSC100.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...th/HHSC116.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...th/HHSC110.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...th/HHSC108.jpg

WooHoo! Good for you. You guys look really nice together. Our first one is next month. Pony's first ever and I have not shown since Appaloosa World in 2005... add to that dressage since 2001. I hope we do as well as you. Congrats.
    Pamela Ellis

Default Congrats!

See, that wasn't so bad, was it? He looks very nice. Gotta love Morgans, the best horse I ever owned was one. Keep up the good work!

We did our second show yesterday in the pouring rain. Arabs don't seem to like that much, must be the desert heritage! However, once he got over himself, we did raise our score in Intro B. We stuck around all day to watch other people and see some of my barn friends ride 2nd level and I-1. A very good time was had by all once the rain stopped.

Next show....July 17. Gonna aim to crack 60.

Congrats! It does get easier with more mileage.
    Mirror Image 2001-2007

You guys looked great. Your horse is one powerful looking package!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*